Hondo's Bar

Forum name, the finale

The NZA

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok folks, last go at the finalists: all i ask is sersiously, explain your vote if ya can.  Once again, my goals for this corner arent just to get us to BS bout comics, but also to attempt to justify them as a legitmate art form, as well as help others like-minded to know what's good and what aint.  Phrases like "The Batcave is just fuckin cool" are alright, but seriously, get into why its cool for this place. Lemme know, people, or its just gonna be my totalitarian ass pickin it at random.

Well I guess there goes my Fotress of Solitude idea.  crash and burn.  Well if I have to choose from these picks...I guess Xavier's Institute is the best.  From the past arguments it does signify what it's suppose to do.  But I'm with TD and I think it might be too indepth for some folks.  Not everyone's into X-men and might not know who who's Xavier is anyhow.  Alright mr. Admin...I hope your choice wins. :wary:

Fortress of Solitude = isolated dork corner, which i wasnt shootin for. Good name, i granted you that, but not what i had in mind....we'll see, im not completely set on the idea, otherwise i woudlnt have another poll, i guess.  Thanks for the vote tho, lets get the others out now.

Was gonna advertise this in general, but im not sure...maybe just the comic folk who stray over this way should have some say in it.

I voted for 'Xavier's Institute' because it is basically a more cooler name than, say 'Fortress Of Solitude'. I really don't know much about the X-men, however the points that were made in the previous thread also made me think that this name was more suitable. I have to say though admin, you should listen to AV, he is coming out with all the best ideas! (but i would say that, as i am biased when Preacher becomes involved!) ;)

Argh....our good friend Varley jumps the gun a bit.

Here's the thing: round here, and most other places i assume, folks are lazy.  They hate the idea of somethin new, most times.  And theyre quite comfy with treatin comics like kiddie shit.

Now, granted, many previous superhero books were just that, and helped earn the title.  While i believe many greats helped weave the mythology that weve built, many, many more clones helped dumb it down. Ask any other comic fan durin the 80's: with few exceptions, lackluster/mediocrity ruled.  Art was often used to save a book, rather than accentuate/complete it. Twas sad.

Nowadays, shit's different - aside from the glory that is the Vertigo imprint (and many other great human books out there), the superheroes are on their way.  

New X-Men & Amazing Spider-Man, the Ultimate series of books, etc - these characters havent been half as good since their heyday (Cleremont doin the Phoenix Saga, Spidey vs all the original villians, etc).  Serioulsy, if youre not readin some of those, youre not readin superhero books.

I tend to agree with Kevin Smith:  human books are meant to be another genre of sorts, but not to overthrow superhero books.  If those come off cheezy, simply put new, competent writers/artists on em, dont simply abandon the idea.  I was ready to give up on X-Men long before Grant Morrison showed up, but damned if he didnt make it one of the titles i count the days for.

Anyway, i go for the popular titles 'cause i also want it to be approachable to most folks, who only know Batman through the movies (and hopefully the ealier ones), who know of the X-Men via the saturday mornin cartoon. Sure, they know of Superman, but if i title this place "Apokolips" or somethin inside like that, theyre gonna avoid it like it says "Anthrax inside".  No, i dont expect many non-comic folk to wander thru here, but im optomistic...kinda like Xavier, eh?

Well, Varley's right on Rising Stars, but id honestly say he's missin out, as would anyone who rights off the old books 'cause they sucked so long.  Try some of em out, i assure you ya wont be dissapointed.

PS Looks like Xavier's takin it so far...hey, whose the 2nd person who said theyd answer down here?

Sure, ya sold me on Xavier's as long as ya give it a good description.  I'm not idealistic enough to think that a million people that think comic books are for kids are gonna come and see the light when they come to the forum.  I mean, sure, they'll come out of this forum saying "hmm, they're speaking of great writers and the intricacies of characters... maybe this could be considered art..."  then they go to fight club and see "superman would kill ironman cuz ironman is too busy fuckin a sheep to fight lololroflmaohahaha ironman fucks sheep hahahahaha" and that art thing just kinda flies out the window in a haze of buggery.  I like the idea tho, so go ahead.

Alright then...so what else oughta be mentioned in the description? I rather like the current one, tho it reaks of Unbreakable, i dig it (doenst hurt that i wrote it).   Perhaps folks want a mention of "a world where comics are feared & hated"...?

Hmm, yeah, the current description ain't half bad, didn't really notice the thing.  Yeah, you seem to be on the right track with comic books being "feared and hated," heh.  Yeah, most people will recognize Xavier's Institute and know it's from X-men and the mere mention of Comic Books and "art form" in the same sentance should get people to check it out.

Maybe partially, but i says its mythology.  Brigit & Mulan dig the dreaming, but A) Its too obscure and B) forum's got a title anyway.  Maybe ill squeeze the dreamin in there sometime, but first things first: one of you ladies - includin Athena here if she ever shows up again - needs to do a post bout Sandman, what youve read so far, compare favorite story arcs, etc.  Just be careful of spoilers...remember, there's two crowds here, largely: vertigo people and superhero people.

Im just tryin to mege the two.  Brigit here's entitled to be ignorant 'cause she's new to comics, but dammit KOS, i swear, superhero books arent what they once where.  Writers like Strazinksy, Kevin Smith, Azarello, Grant Morrison, Warren Ellis, hell even Garth and Frank Miller at times - all the people we love on non-superhero books - are runnin both ends these days.  Neil Gaiman himself is gonna do a Marvel mini-series soon, there's still rumors that Marvel CEO Joe Quesada is workin on gettin Alan Moore back into the fray.  Bottom line: I honeslty dont think superhero books have been this good, perhaps golden/silver age, in their time, but fuck, a number of them have really evolved.  

All im sayin: write off such a large genre like that, and it truly is your loss.  It's the equivalent of the superhero folks sayin "fuck that weird vergio shit" and missin out on Hellblazer, Sandman, Preacher, etc.  Tis a terrible thing to do...ill keep postin reviews & such, in hopes to spread the word.

Hey I got nothing against superheroes really, I was just kidding around, I'm buying more superhero books now than other stuff I think. Still prefer anti-heroes though!!

Superheroes just piss me off at times, a bit too jingoistic in places:

JLA - correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that Justice League of America?

Superman - Truth, justice and the American way?

Shouldn't they be working for all mankind? ???

Hmm...never thought of that, bein American i guess.

There was a Justice League of Europe i think, didnt make too many waves as i recall....well, ya did have your invasion of brit writers not too far back, gotta count for somethin - many Ellis/Ennis characters are Brit, Irish, etc, but i was wonderin: Did anyone else read Action Comics # 775? One of the best Superman stories ive read, but it made the Authority/Anti-heroes out to be nothin more than murderous bastards...swear to god, i thought Warren Ellis was the lead villian.  

So how do you European folk feel bout this kinda thing? American heroes, stories largely in America, etc - only Vertigo writers seem to touch on Europe, and then largely 'cause they're European.  Are writers limited to their respective geographic area, at least, most times?