Hondo's Bar

Women in comics

Jables

From Indie to Mainstream- do you believe women are portayed fairly?  

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So this poll has spawned from discussing Tulip in Preacher: something of a postergirl for Vertigo(the Colossus that stands astride true mainstream & indie) independant women. I personally feel Preacher as a story could have done without her bullshit front of forced machismo, especially when she still endeavoured to be percieved as a 'girly-girl', yet raked Jesse over coals whenever chivalry took the day.

Another example(again, Vertigo) is Dizzy Cordova of 100 Bullets. A hood rat through-and through, she came across as not so much tough, but ready to do whatever needs to be done/unafraid of getting her hands dirty. I'm ashamed to say that in mainstream comics the best example/most interaction I've had with a female character is She Hulk. Nick should hopefully be able to discuss Spiderwoman or something, but She Hulk is effectively the fifth Sex & the City hag. Also recall that I just Finished the first Alias collection- Jessica Jones is another character who puts on a tough front, but is infact all ribbons & Justin Timberlake underneath(points for liking it rough & Cage-y though).

Dr G will prove invaluable for indie knowledge here- you were a fan of that Strangers in Paradise right? My impression of that is that it's one big chick book.

Indeed Strangers in Paradise is considered a big chick book, however, men seem to enjoy it as well (not just becuase of all the hot lesbian action, becuase there really isn't a whole lot).

The types of female comic book charecters that I notice the most,

'The Uber Girly Sex Appeal In Tight Pants' -Jean Grey, despite her being smart, and Emma Frost pop into mind, these girls can have super powers, but their sexuality seems to also be a major power for them. they can flirt their way through life, most of the time. That being said they are also incedibly smart, cunning and well...sexy.

'The Girl Next Door'- Mary Jane anyone? Francine from Strangers in Paradise also fits this bill. may or may not have super powers (kitty pride just popped into my head), these girls make awesome sidekicks, as well as damsels in distress. they reek of innocence. Without a hero, most of these girls are pretty boring (to me anyways).

'The Tough Girl'- These girls take a knock down like a pro and come back for more, they don't often show a softer side, and if they take an emotional blow they take it harder than any other physical blow. Tulip pops into mind, as well as Katchoo, and Rouge and Tank Girl. They come off as badass, and they are badass when backed into a corner. Don't mess with tough girl. She doesn't play nice with others.

'The Villian'- she's just a bitch. Powerhungry, crazy, all that jazz.

Now that being said, you can mix and match any of those basic sterotypes and come up with numerous female charecters. It's all depends on who is writing what charecter at that time. In the case of SiP and preacher, where it was one writer, they more than likley mix all three in each charecter but still adhere to an overall formula where one sterotype shows more than the rest.

It's funny that Tulip was brought into the equation via shoutbox. She is a very complex and well written charecter, She isn't black or white, she's very grey. From the moment you, the reader, are brought into her more personal world (in this case her back story with her father) you see that she's had it tough, and it's made her tough, but she still has strong family values. Later, when the love of her life is gone, she loses a part of herself (with some rather nasty help) and only when her love is revived can she fight again. She is co-dependent, and only feels independant with her back up. i can defiently relate to that myself. The writing for Tulip was ment to catch a female audience, and every woman i've handed the book to just adores Tulip.

As for how women are portrayed in comics overall, i don't read all comics, but most of the time I can identify at least somewhat with any one that I do happen to pick up. I wouldn't say yes, or no, becuase it depends on the charecter. I don't feel any connection with Fathom. the mix of over bearing long limbs and the basic meaningless drivel that spews from her limited conversations do nothing for me. So there's that.

Writing charecters, in general, is like painting. You layer on one trait at a time, until you see the full picture, however, i feel my post is getting a bit on the ranting side. So i'll stop here and chime in again later.

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAaa

I'm seriously curious on who voted 'no' and why....

I made my case about Wonder Woman elsewhere about how when she's all submissive and "help me, I just sprained my vagina" she's not given a second glance but when she's portrayed as powerful or strong (like I maintain any good role model should be) the first thing that comes up is "She's totally a dyke, dude."

I made my case about Wonder Woman elsewhere about how when she's all submissive and "help me, I just sprained my vagina" she's not given a second glance but when she's portrayed as powerful or strong (like I maintain any good role model should be) the first thing that comes up is "She's totally a dyke, dude."

I haven't read much Wonder Woman, but the whole idea of comming off an island full of perfect women and totally destroying certian myths just isn't my thing. So, I haven't had any interest to begin with. I would have to imagine that if it's even remotley as you describe, I'd be put off as well. But there you go, she's a bit of two major sterotypes in comic women. Just depends on your taste in fake women.

I haven't read much She-Hulk either, she's a laywer now right?

I haven't read much Wonder Woman, but the whole idea of comming off an island full of perfect women and totally destroying certian myths just isn't my thing. So, I haven't had any interest to begin with. I would have to imagine that if it's even remotley as you describe, I'd be put off as well. But there you go, she's a bit of two major sterotypes in comic women. Just depends on your taste in fake women.

I haven't read much She-Hulk either, she's a laywer now right?

Well Wonder Woman is kind of like Superman, she works when she's written by the right person which is pretty much almost never. Garth Ennis' rendition ranks pretty high on my shit-list (which is a shame, because he wrote my favorite version of Catwoman and Tulip-notwithstanding is usually pretty good with strong female characters)

The recent Wonder Woman animated movie actually did a very good job of portraying her as did Darwyn Cooke's Justice League New Frontier and the movie based on it (where she's voiced by Lucy Lawless). The whole Greek myth thing is a weak starting point but just like with Thor, Hercules, etc it works periodically and fortunately that aspect of her character is rarely touched upon.

And yes, She-Hulk is a lawyer and has been since her creation but she's also kind ditzy (which has just gotten worse over the years) and they play up her sex-appeal even more than they did with Mary Jane in the 90s (which is really hard to do.)

yeah, She-Hulk's usually in comedy/parody books these days. they kinda ho'd her up for a while there, it was weird.

I don't have alot of comics knowledge, but it seems no discussion on the portrayal of womyn in comics complete without mentioning Y: The Last Man. Quite alot to be said in that book, both feminist and anti-feminist.

Agent 355 is a great example of a tough and awesome female character in comics, not too over-the-top either.

Huh. Just now noticed the poll. The way women in comics are portryed is getting better and better, but still could use improvement.

I don't have alot of comics knowledge, but it seems no discussion on the portrayal of womyn in comics complete without mentioning Y: The Last Man. Quite alot to be said in that book, both feminist and anti-feminist.

Agent 355 is a great example of a tough and awesome female character in comics, not too over-the-top either.

I can't believe I didn't think of that right off.

Yes. D. J. Caruso (Disturbia and Eagle Eye) is set to direct, and though no casting has been confirmed, Caruso wants Shia LaBeouf to play Yorick, but Zachary Levi (title character from TV's Chuck) has been petitioning hard to get the role instead. I think Levi would be a better fit, and I say what with no LeBeouf-hate.

This is an example of Nick stealing my post...

This is an example of Panch being an adorable attention whore. Good statement whoever it came from. And the Chuck guy seems like the right mix of misplaced machismo & ackward nerdy charm to pull off Yor. Now try finding a humble, down to earth asian to try and play Dr Mann. not Sandra Oh

Archived