Hondo's Bar

Hondo's & Privacy

The NZA

Your content on Hondo's  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1245222468.jpg

ok, so at certain points when members have background checks/etc being done on them for employment, i look to lock the place down to keep unregistered guests from viewing, in their interests. Logically, during this time, registration stays open, but only by admin approval (currently, an admin can approve you, or you can approve yourself just by following the email automatically sent, natch).

Issue's come up with a few locals, im just curious to see if more of you guys think we should do this anyway. I dont know how much it'll interrupt traffic brought by googlebots & such, and by no means do i of course want to discourage newbies from registering & joining the community...but on the other hand, i want this to be a place where people can (theoretically) freely talk about their personal lives, and sensitive beliefs (political, religious etc), or at least harbor such an environment.

ive had a number of members ask me to take down personal pics & info (mainly from the member galleries, which are used less anyway now that theyre outsourced to myspace/facebook/etc where users can modify visibility to their own preference). but on that note, many of us have heard stories of people being denied jobs based on shit they showed/did/said that was publicly up there that maybe shouldnt've been, depending on your line of work.

On the upside, this would alleviate much of that, as i dont know many places that'll go through the trouble of registering just to find info - i cant say for certain; googling my name links right back to here, for one. On the downside, youd have to log in to read shit, anonymously or not. Im considering this a lesser evil, wanted to know what you guys thought...i hate to discourage voyeurs, but i value what we have enough now to be more bothered by people mincing words for fear of outside repercussions.

What do you think?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See its a double edged sword for me, on one hand I've always been a bit wary of putting up personal shit on the net but to truly wrangle in new members wandering in from google or something they need to get a sneak peek first at the unimaginable awesomeness that awaits them. Is it possible to maybe lock out the more personal and potentially sensitive forums like politics, religion and all of Hells Kitchen. Leave open Town Square and the entertainment-based ones. I hardly think anyone would be denied a job based on their musical and film tastes (unless they take Matthew Mc Conaughey seriously as an actor on any level).

Are you serious about people being denied jobs based on internet indescretions? I can see how that could happen with larger networks like Myspace & Facebook, but I don't know that anyone here is really in that 'sensetive beliefs' category(except Joel) that they'd need to self-censor. Be real dude, this is more about getting more Snatch pics, innit?

regarding a log-in-only lockdown, I don't like that because if I'm on a public PC & just want to confirm or check something, I don't want to have to log in. What about having a separate 'cone of silence' though, where only log-ins can view or post? much like how trolls can't post here?

hmm...thinking about my options, yeah, i can make it so guests have to log in to view certain forums/subforums (but that's as specific as it gets, cant be per thread). i suppose we could maybe find a happy middle ground by leaving the entertainment block of forums open to all, but closing up shit like politics/philosophy & religion/pubs and such? town square's a good candidate to lock up too, i think both snatch and dong have been there moreso than FC, no?

this is where i give up on participatory democracy and just kinda do whatever works. since that compromise worked for uh, the 3 of us (?) im just debating which forums to lock from guest viewing. im really thinking town square, politics, philosophy, culture, mebbe pubs, but most all others i dont think there's much sensitive information in, so lemme know if you think otherwise.

this is where i give up on participatory democracy and just kinda do whatever works. since that compromise worked for uh, the 3 of us (?) im just debating which forums to lock from guest viewing. im really thinking town square, politics, philosophy, culture, mebbe pubs, but most all others i dont think there's much sensitive information in, so lemme know if you think otherwise.

What about the crap shack?

True enough, the number of 'how do you like to suck dick?' & TMI threads in there would get most of us on the FBI's watchlist if they saw it. I'd submit FC as well, considering that's where genuine beef goes down occasionally, and it's not stranger-friendly for tourism OR privacy purposes.

See its a double edged sword for me, on one hand I've always been a bit wary of putting up personal shit on the net but to truly wrangle in new members wandering in from google or something they need to get a sneak peek first at the unimaginable awesomeness that awaits them. Is it possible to maybe lock out the more personal and potentially sensitive forums like politics, religion and all of Hells Kitchen. Leave open Town Square and the entertainment-based ones. I hardly think anyone would be denied a job based on their musical and film tastes (unless they take Matthew Mc Conaughey seriously as an actor on any level).

:proof:

shane - i read it the first time, Town Square has as much personal stuff as pubs or any such place where people talk about their problems. no one's arguing that the entire entertainment block should stay fully visible to guests.

Ly - why Pimp Hand? we post raunchy stuff, but not so much personal, yeah? just curious.

pictures of hot chicks is like our most-viewed thread, but you could argue that it hasntly likely brought many actual members on board, heh.

also: Crap Shack? i always thought it was mostly meaningless "i ate this/then pooped this" content, but if you guys feel its somehow sensitive, it could be preserved too.

ah...true, true. going down the forums, so far, visibility-wise, then, its:

suggestion box?

town square

the gathering

politics

philosophy

culture

arts

movies

anime

music

sports

comics

games

pubs

pimp hand

fight club?

crap shack

WTF are we :proof: at , his same post? not locking Town Square makes no sense, its the most popular forum and gets a lot of personal talk, possibly the most.

agree to what, hide FC from guests or not? i dont even know your stance from that post.

True enough, the number of 'how do you like to suck dick?' & TMI threads in there would get most of us on the FBI's watchlist if they saw it. I'd submit FC as well, considering that's where genuine beef goes down occasionally, and it's not stranger-friendly for tourism OR privacy purposes.

:proof:

I'm saying, if I have to spell it out, that when FC isn't all last man standing threads, it's me or someone else running their mouths like motherfuckers, libel & whatnot running rampant all over. I can see how, based on my FC posts I would be denied a job, let alone anyone else looking at that. Not to mention any tourists/possible members really don't need to see all that as part of the voyuering Hondos experience.

What was your arguement for locking Town Square again? I agree on your Pimp hand- it's a long hard road to try and link perversion & Hot chicks(although if it IS a concern it brings a men's lounge in a locked FC back onto the billet), I'd probably nominate Gathering be closed because yes it shows our awesome meet ups, but considering all the gay jokes/compromising photos(ask Panch, even), I think folks can stand to register if they wanna see the premium content.

Hondos the gathering could be left visible right? It could show voyeurs the wondrous booze ups and events they're missing.
Also- showing this to voyuers just serves to make our hard shell of injokes slightly more inpenetrable to the less thick-skinned.

ah, take that up with shane, then.

as for Town Square, just that more often than the pubs (where id originally envisioned members sharing their woes), TS is where msot people come and talk about what personal shit has kept them away, or is going on right now, and i think ive seen more personal details come up there then any other forum. its the single largest, most popular corner, so i guess that's bound to happen.

thing is, many newbies seem to come in from search strings of topics in the entertainment forums, so i hope to not lose many by keeping those open/viewable to all. should someone wanna see stuff in the artsy forums, im hoping theyll be so inclined as to register.

Archived