Hondo's Bar

Survival Of the Dead

The NZA

ofthedeadposter.jpg

trailer

yeah, started out "...Of the Dead", a slightly better title than Dead of the Dead: The Deadening (likely the sequel). Zombies pumping gas confirmed.

"plot" details:

Movie is officially called

SURVIVAL OF THE DEAD

On a small island off North America's coast, the dead rise to menace the living. Yet...the islanders can't bring themselves to exterminate their loved ones, despite the growing danger from those the once held dear. A rebel among them hunts down all the zombies he can find, only to be banished from the island for assassinating his neighbors and friends. On the mainland, bent on revenge, he encounters a small band of survivors in search of an oasis on which to build a new life. Barely surviving an attack from a mass of ravenous flesh-eaters. They commandeer a zombie-infested ferry and sail to the island. There, to their horror, they discover that the locals have chained the dead inside their homes, pretending to live 'normal' lives...with bloody consequences. What ensues is a desperate struggle for survival and the answer to a question never posed in Romero's Dead films: Can the living ever live in peace with the dead?

i was actually talking about this the other day. Romero, well, IS a hack. his stuff worked back in his golden years, but now the scripts are just so hokey. i rewatched Land the other day and some most ALL of the characters are cliched and overused. youve got the big hero dude with tragic backstory, the loveable deformed moron, the heroic whore, the big boss, Lackeys: one good, one bad, one dead, i could go on..... and i will. the black, clearly taken advantage of manservant who betrays his massa, the seemingly bad guy who ends up trying to kill the good guy but doesnt and actually turns out to be pretty cool, . the stories in both Diary and Land tried way to hard to convey some sort of useful message that worked great in the 60's & 70's. Not to say i didnt like the movies, cause I did, but i think the themes of racism and the overpowered military arent so relevent now. I mean they are, but not when the same guy has done the same thing in ALL of his movies. well the movies that count anyway :2T:

bruiser is pretty cool though

The scripts were always hokey, the message was always heavy handed, and the characters were always two dimensional. They've fucking zombie movies, if you're watching for any reason other than the zombies you're missing the point.

well still, NOTL & DawnOTD were at least scary. i want another good creepy zombie movie. the hokey scripts dont help. the main reason i watch is for the zombies, but i want them to scare me.

• 7 months later...

survival-of-the-dead.jpg

So Survival was released yesterday the 30th on Video On Demand, Xbox LIVE (where I'll be watching it) and Amazon.com. Oddly enough, the flick opens in theaters at the end of May. For the life of me, I can't understand why they would do this. Baytor, any theories?

Review on the way...

Done and done! Cool flick. Romero does it again. Not as well written as his others. Not much to say in it either, but a great zombie flick, none-the-less. Romero's (as I like to call his movies) are always leaps and bounds better than any non-Romero's.

Synopsis:

Irish immigrants that have occupied an Island of the coast of Delaware for decades live in relative peace while the world goes to shit because of the Zombie Apanchalypse Apocalypse. Two families that have once tolerated each other now are at odds because of their outlook on the dead rising. The two surviving patriarchs of said families can't see eye to eye. One wants all the zombies dead (family or no family). The other wants to keep the dead 'around' just in case someone comes up with cure. After a... disagreement, dude that wants zombies dead gets kicked off the island. Meanwhile, the rogue Army guys from Diary of the Dead are basically surviving the best they can on the mainland. Exiled Irish guy meets and recruits Army dudes with nothin' to do. Killin' is in store. Kind of a modern day zombie western (that ought to get Nick's attention, heh).

Again, I loved it. Zombie movie purists will generally like this movie, but I got a feeling the hate is coming. LONG (UN)LIVE ROMERO!

Probably because it has a shoestring budget and is being released by a company that handles such things. Focus features doesn't do high profile, that's why maybe 6 people have seen A Serious Man.

For the record, this movie's probably the weakest of the bunch. It's a western, even though it's set in Maine, but by the time you hear all the Irish people talking in Irish accents and the Mexican guy calling everyone "senor" you know where its roots are. The story is probably the hokiest of the bunch and if there's a message then I couldn't find it. It expands on Romero's "Zombies learning to do shit" idea that everybody except me seems to hate, but they're not doing anything controversial with it this go round.

Really the only deal breaker here is the CG, which is so incredibly terrible that it's practically a physical barrier between you enjoying the movie and not. If you can jump that hurdle though, it's pretty decent.

I knew their be hate/love, but you? Baytor? Just kidding. I mostly agree with you, but I can't NOT like a Romero movie (dismounting from his dick now). Sigh. Can't wait for the next one (remounting)!!!

It's a low point, but it's also not a bad movie, I think this movie just had more ambitions than the budget could support. I'm hoping Romero gets a better team behind him the next go-round. It would be nice if him and Tom Savini (or at very least Greg Nicotero) would team up. The effects have been a big problem for a while now and I think that's the first thing that needs fixed before we proceed further.

I would like to see more of Crockett in future films if at all possible.

It's a low point, but it's also not a bad movie, I think this movie just had more ambitions than the budget could support. I'm hoping Romero gets a better team behind him the next go-round. It would be nice if him and Tom Savini (or at very least Greg Nicotero) would team up. The effects have been a big problem for a while now and I think that's the first thing that needs fixed before we proceed further.

Agreed... but if doesn't... I don't care.

I would like to see more of Crockett in future films if at all possible.

Also strongly agree. What are some of the other characters in Romero flicks that you would of liked to see more of (don't we have a thread for his)?

it was not good.

The hate. She comes.

Not a good movie. No. Good zombie movie? Yes. People fail to realize that there are SOOOOO many zombie movies and SOOOO many that are BAD! Horribly BAD! 95 percent of the genre is so God awful that when you get a halfway decent one it shines like chrome. We're spoiled with movies like Shawn, Zombieland and 28 Days Later. Great movies alone. Romero is OBVIOUSLY out of his prime, but this guy is not only the Godfather of an entire genre of horror movie (zombies), but some credit him with being the FATHER of modern horror movies all together (Night of the Living Dead)! Still, as bad or ungood as the movie was... this guy still finds a way to make an original zombie movie. So, I'm not taking anything away from people's opinions, but you have to understand, that to a zombie purist like me... I'll take whatever I can get.

• 3 months later...

Just watched this again (DVD release) and I still like it. I know I said that Romero's writing was bad this go around, but I'm gonna have to disagree... with MYSELF! His dialog is still smart as shit. What this flick lacked was the social commentary that seems to be the underlining theme of all his movies. I also caught one little detail that I didn't notice before...

The scene with the pig in the pen and zombie not eating it. Right before that, the Muldoon guy's in the barn when a zombie attacks him but only manages to get his cowboy hat. The zombie takes a bite outta the hat and the dude gets pissed and shoots it. He walks out to the pig in the pen experiment (he's tied up a pig in a pen and thrown a zombie in there as if to teach it to eat something other than a person) and the ranch hand says something like, 'zombie ate your hat cause it had people smell on it'. I started thinking. This is why the zombies ate the horse at the end! Cause it smelled like a person! That girl was obsessed with that horse and was all over ridin' it and touchin' it and all that. I think that was what happened and Romero meant it to be that way. Why else would he write in that line? Not that it matters much. Just saying.

I've figured out that any Romero movie no matter how reviled is two sequels away from praise. Now that Survival is out people are loving on Land, and some people are even coming around to liking Diary. Survival is kind of a system shock, it's not what really anyone expects but the more I think about it the more I like it.

Archived