Hondo's Bar

The return of Roger Rabbit?

The NZA

source

EXCLUSIVE: Robert Zemeckis ‘Buzzing’ About Second ‘Roger Rabbit’ Movie

Published by Eric Ditzian on Wednesday, April 29, 2009 at 2:49 pm.

“Who Framed Roger Rabbit” came out 20 years ago and grossed $330 million worldwide, and for all the talk about another big screen venture for the animated bunny and his voluptuous sweetheart Jessica, nothing over the last two decades moved into production. And it was starting to seem like nothing ever would.

But when MTV News caught up with director Robert Zemeckis recently, he dropped a news bomb that had our eyes popping cartoon-style out of our sockets. “I’ll tell you what is buzzing around in my head now that we have the ability—the digital tools, performance capture—I’m starting to think about ‘Roger Rabbit,’” he told us.

Combing traditional animation with live-action, “Roger Rabbit” was a staggering achievement that employed cutting-edge technology without sacrificing the demands of first-rate storytelling. It won four Oscars, including nods for visual effects, editing and a special achievement award for animation direction. But Zemeckis hasn’t toiled in live-action since 2000’s “Cast Away”, preferring instead to work with performance capture in films like “The Polar Express” and the upcoming Jim Carrey vehicle, “A Christmas Carol.”

All of which had us desperate for any more info Zemeckis could provide about a new “Roger Rabbit.” When pressed, however, he demurred.

P-p-p-please?!

“I can’t give you more details,” Zemeckis said, letting us down gently.

Okay, then, we’ll air our questions here. How exactly will performance capture factor in? When we spoke recently with Michael Lantieri, the special effects supervisor on the original “Roger Rabbit,” he talked about how very soon filmmakers will be able to combine performance capture with outdoor, real-time photography. Might the new “Roger Rabbit” employ this technology? Will the story be lifted from the long-rumored, never-produced “Roger Rabbit” sequel script? Or will Zemeckis commission a new screenplay? And casting! Will the man who voiced, Roger—Charles Fleischer—reprise his role? And might Bob Hoskins as private investigator Eddie Valiant return?

So many questions that shall, alas, remain unanswered for the moment. You’ll just have to, er, stay tooned…

old link, i know - guess we'll see? meanwhile, here's Melyssa Ford as Jessica Rabbit.

melyssaford-jessicarabbit.jpg

Very interested in this news, especially once I heard the original writers were working on the script and Zemeckis would be back in the director's chair... wonder what direction they're going to take it. Will it still be set in the 40s and feature Eddie Valiant, or, since cartoon characters are almost immortal, will they jump to a different era, with new characters?

It might be cool if they went kinda dark and had Roger's star fade and fall out of popularity, with some exploration into the darker side of Toon Town. I'd like to see Valiant in some capacity, since I always loved the idea of a hard-boiled detective in a cartoon land.

One thing I'm really going to miss is Mel Blanc as the voice of so many of the toons-- the replacements over the last 20 years just don't sound right...

I hope this is the response link, keep in mind not everyone knows those figures down at the bottom (hint, hint). I for one am tired of hollywood going back to the well for more ideas. This was one of my childhood favorites, and I hope it doesn't follow threw. What happened to original ideas and concepts, instead of raping my childhood? Shit like this I can't stand, and the worst of them all is Burton, that guy needs to think for himself every once in a while. I know he's done some original work, but dammit, stop.

If you keep getting raped every time you go to a certain bar, and you go back to that bar every week, that says something about you. No one's forcing you to go see these movies.

Anyway, the thing that was so improbable about Who Framed Roger Rabbit? was the toons from all the different studios being in one movie. Characters from Disney, Warner Bros, MGM, Paramount, Fox, as well as Felix the Cat and Lena Hyena were all in one movie. What are the chances that Disney will successfully be able to negotiate another deal like that? It was unbelievable when it happened in the eighties, and it seems less likely nowadays.

I hope this is the response link, keep in mind not everyone knows those figures down at the bottom (hint, hint). I for one am tired of hollywood going back to the well for more ideas. This was one of my childhood favorites, and I hope it doesn't follow threw. What happened to original ideas and concepts, instead of raping my childhood? Shit like this I can't stand, and the worst of them all is Burton, that guy needs to think for himself every once in a while. I know he's done some original work, but dammit, stop.

Because you pay to have your childhood raped and you don't go see the original ones.

:pinch:

I know I'm late to the game :misty: officially!! You should POST MORE. I love it.

Archived