Hondo's Bar

Modern Warfare 2

C_U_SPACECOWBOY

I'm surprise there was no post for this game, considering all the hype/controversy.

Well, hadn't played any of the entries in this series until 4 (the whole ww2 genre is not only WAY overdone, but bores me to tears!), and I can unabashedly say it was one of the most rewarding gaming experiences for me this gen, both in terms of the multiplayer AND the single player campaign. Needless to say I skipped World at War (despite nazi zombies) and patiently have been awaiting the next contemporary installment.

Apparently I'm not alone in my high opinion of the first Modern Warfare, as (to my surprise) it had one of the biggest launches of all time, across all forms of media.

And, as with any such honor, this drew the attention of the media, followed quickly by contraversy. As an avid gamer, as well as a reasoned, free-thinking individual, my knee jerk reaction is to scoff and roll my eyes at any stories about how violent videogames are contributing to the downfall of our society.

I hadn't heard any details about the offensive content, and honestly thought that it was just the newly found star status of the series that was drawing attention to what had already been apretty violent series.

Well, finally had a chance to take a crack at the game over the weekend and right off the bat, there are seriously disclaimers about the content and even an option to skip the level in question before you even begin the campaign. This morning I actually made it to "that level" and it is pretty shocking. I actually let out an audible gasp when I finally saw what all the fuss was about.

For those of you haven't heard and/or don't intend to play

the player takes the role of a CIA agent who is undercover trying to infiltrate a Russian Terrorist group. One missions takes place in a Russian airport, FILLED with civilians. You and your crew stroll in an start to shoot the shit out of everyone. I mean EVERYONE. Piles of civilian bodies, people fleeing in terror and getting cut down. The whole level is REALLY unsettling.

For the purpose of the narrative, it was awesome. Really powerful. Controversy aside though, I am loving this game as much, if not more than COD4. Anyone else playing it?

on spoiler- YES! this was a surprise. my only complaint is that there isn't enough campaign mode, but the online aspects blow everything out of the park. I've been playing everyday sneaking matches in here and there. I'm in a Ruger clan haha. we all come home and shoot eachother online, it is AWESOME. are you on xbox360?? I need some more players..muhahaha.

zombie nazi's is awesome as well, IF you can fond players that have the map packs and IF they are good at taking direction, it's way more involved than L4D, and it can be a challenge, but I find it more rewarding personally. As for WAW, i never finished campaign mode.

sorry spacecowboy, everyone is all hung up on things like animal crossing, world of warcraft and mario.

they have decided to follow their own path, thinking that they are more sophisticated than the mere first person shooter.

what they don't know won't hurt them.

i have not played any COD multiplayer, but have experienced the World War 2 single player. it's fun the first few levels, but after that, it drags on and on and on.

in comes modern warfare 1. wow, pretty cool, especially the stage "death from ab0ve" my personal favorite. i was quite pleased with the new weapons, environments and graphics.

Now with part 2, I think it's 10x better. I had a lot of fun with the controversial level and brazil favellas, tearing it up in the market places. There is action everywhere you turn and the environments are easily the most varied compared to any COD game. I have not completed it, but i hope it never ends. I will definately be playing a few times over just because it is so great... and i don't remember too many games i'll start over again.

they have decided to follow their own path, thinking that they are more sophisticated than the mere first person shooter.

what they don't know won't hurt them.

i have not played any COD multiplayer, but have experienced the World War 2 single player. it's fun the first few levels, but after that, it drags on and on and on.

in comes modern warfare 1. wow, pretty cool, especially the stage "death from ab0ve" my personal favorite. i was quite pleased with the new weapons, environments and graphics.

This is the most frustrating part of the year for me, too many games I wanna play. CoD is on the backburner for the time being for L4D2, Dragon Age, Assassins Creed and Bakugan Battle Brawlers. If I had a Wii I'd be sucking New Super Mario Bros. dick right now.

Was "Death from above" the level where you work the turret and it's in that black & white nightvision? I loved that level, played it a dozen times. That shit looked like actual footage.

This game is on my list, but military shooters never get top priority for me. I'll get around to it and I'm sure it will be the balls-to-the-wall action I expect.

I was just kidding about Bakugan Battle Brawlers btw, for the record.

Death from above, great level that, plus the one where you are sniping in Pripyat, and have to get the hell out of dodge!

I'm really loving online play with MW2 at the moment. Tho some geeks take it way to seriously, i picked up a care package, and got abused for taking someones care package! I thought it was for the team lol!!!!

The SP mode, is short, i mean, 4-6 hours gameplay, really short, but the story is gripping and the setups are awesome too.

Re the controversial level, it was unsettling, but fun nonetheless! :2T:

Anyone on PSN wanna play, WayneSoF.

on the mission where the honey badger appears, right near the end, the game developers added a funny little quirk.

just as you enter the house with the downed aircraft, on the first floor you'll see an enemy in the kitchen. rather than having his weapon pointed at you, he's snooping around in the fridge and pulling out some booze to drink. he spots you and reaches for his weapon... and you all know what happens here.

just thought it was kinda funny.

So finished the campaign the other day. Lots of twists and some welcome surprises for people who played MW1. All in all a solid single player experience. But....

the ending....seriously. I loved it, but we have to wait an agonizing 2 years (at least) to find out what happens? ARGHHH! Also, I was also kinda bummed there was no post credits, hard as balls, bonus mission. Played thru on Veteran the first go and it was cake compared to part one....ESPECIALLY compared to the Mile high club mission.

So finished the campaign the other day. Lots of twists and some welcome surprises for people who played MW1. All in all a solid single player experience. But....

the ending....seriously. I loved it, but we have to wait an agonizing 2 years (at least) to find out what happens? ARGHHH! Also, I was also kinda bummed there was no post credits, hard as balls, bonus mission. Played thru on Veteran the first go and it was cake compared to part one....ESPECIALLY compared to the Mile high club mission.

did you do the museum mission after you beat the game?

• 1 month later...

how do you do the museum mission?

here's another pretty cool trailer for the game.

and finally... i need to get better with the assault rifles, but i can never get the hang of waiting for the scope to come up. i always get gunned down first. even with the thermal attachment (which is supposed to be awesome). also, need to get better with sniping on multiplayer. it's just everyone is running so fast it's almost impossible to get good with sniping weapons (majority of people online are using assault rifles with scopes) aargh. what's your class combinations?

right now, i use heavy machine gun with faster reload, bullet penetrate, stun grenades and ninja (invisible to heartbeat sensor?) i think. works ok so far

oh yeah, forgot to mention. bill murray is capt price and barry pepper (sniper from saving private ryan) is Corporal Dunn. pretty cool trivia

My current classes are- Scar, bling pro (red dot sight, grenade launcher), marathon pro, cold blooded- Equipment, Claymore, smoke bomb.

RPD (silencer), lightweight pro, marathon pro, cold blooded pro, claymore, flash bangs

The reason you have a hard time using sniper weapons is due to the marathon/ lightweight combo. It can make you super fast and hard to kill even with a chopper gunner overhead. Cold blooded makes thermal useless as well! Snipers got the shit end of the stick this time around, but it can still be done. I hate snipers, I like to find them and knife them in the back, find their spawning spots and then knife the shit out of them again. pisses people right off it does. The others i can't stand are akimbo shotguns. claymores usually work well and if you get claymore and scavenger pro you can literally put up endless amounts of claymores, unless of course you die, then you have only one again, and all claymores you put down before you die are duds (there is a perk where claymores are delayed as well...).

i should also add that i suck horribly at noob tubin', and it's the last thing i have to do on the scar to unlock everything. my kill/death ratio has gone down since trying this challenge.

UUGh!! I hate those bastards. We refer to them as Barakas. "Baraka at the back of our spawn" Cuz they kinda look like him when they are sprinting around like an asshole.

yeah i have a pretty hard time shooting 1 shotgun, i can't imagine running around with a sawed off in each hand and not falling on my ass... Barakas...haha!!! i never thought of it that way!

not sure if sniping has lost anything in this game...

looks impossible! but he is quite funny. thanks for the tips with scavenger and claymores. I was wondering why my kagillion claymores were gone... probably cause i die all the time! nowadays, if the map has lots of buildings, i use marathon, lightweight, and commando with a mp5. knifing time! it's mabye as cheap as akimbo shotguns! actually, you have to get up close, so not quite as cheap.. but i think i get higher kills than my m16 class or L86 LSW (takes forever to reload) class.

so, i'm still experimenting...

• 2 weeks later...

as neat as that is, it's a major pain in the ass when you are playing against it, and it tends to lag other players as well. Not to forget if they even think you're using it you can kiss your xbox live goodbye. they fixed the care package glitch and fixed some of the akimbo weapons, but there are still a shit ton of glitches being used on certain maps.

Archived