Hondo's Bar

Over-Rated Quarterbacks

Signal08

People love to base their team around their QB. In the pro's (NFL, CFL), QB foundation teams work, but in college, it is almost always never about the QB.

A pro example of a QB who got a little too much credit:

troy-aikman.jpg

Troy Aikman

His 90's era Dallas Cowboys were on top of the world... but because of his Pro-Bowl Offensive Line, his Hall of Famer Running Back, his Pro-Bowl Tight End, and his top of the game Wide Receivers. Almost no team, if any, had more than 3 or 4 big names on their team, and the Cowboys had a Pro-Bowler in every other slot. When you have all of the time in the world in the pocket due to an outstanding line, your gramps could throw for a few yards a game, let alone a professional QB. When you have a major threat at running the ball, so a lot of D was focused on the run game, you could drop back to pass even more so. When you have 3 receivers and a tight end who can out run any CB or S, then you can lob just about anything into the air.

Yes, all of that was JUST the Cowboys offense. Let us not forget their pretty intimidating defense.

So, when you factor all of that in, you begin to realize that the Cowboys isnt 'Troy Aikman' like many people wanted to believe. Troy Aikman had one of the worst scramble/pressure numbers in the game. The guy was worst than Dan Marino when it came to the scramble, and Marino ran like his shoes were tied together. Aikman suffered several concussions due to not knowing how to take a hit (mainly because he rarely had to), and most of his interceptions came while he was on the run. (btw, Marino was a great QB, as he owns quite a few records while not being on a well built team)

So... Aikman was a decent QB. One could argue that he was good, but I say that he was just decent.

=========

In college, we can take a current example of a hyped about QB.

tebow_tim_1_article.jpg

Tim Tebow

Ok, Tim Tebow is a decent QB at best... yea, at best. His UF Gator team is a very well built, raw talent team. Yet, all of the praise always lands on Tebow's lap. The Gators are much like mid 90's era Cowboys. They have it all, great line, great RB's, great WR's and a just as great D. Somehow, during the great team of orange and blue, Tebow emerges as a savior, when it has been his poor playing that has almost derailed the Gators against 4 teams in a row that were either not ranked or, more than 10 rankings away. Winning by 13 or less against 4 teams that were not ranked is practically losing by a good 2 TD's when you are in college football. Blow outs happen in college left and right, and not so much in the pro's. The Gators near victories, should actually make you focus on the problem... Tebow. He put up less numbers, yet his team bailed him out each time. The bailout still resulted in 'Tebow is supernatural' praises.

Lets look at the UF QB success list.

Doug Dickey

Danny Wuerffel

Rex Grossman

Chris Leak

Jesse Palmer

John Reaves

Steve Spurrier

What does that list above have in common? besides a couple of college heismans and 1st round draft picks? Oh yea!! ... all sucked in the NFL, which is a make or break quarterback league. College QB's equate to a whole lot of nothing, til you prove yourself in the pro's. Only thing UF ever produced for the big show was Running Backs. Emmit Smith, Eric Rhett, Fred Taylor...

So, those of you who sing and dance about your quarterbacks, take a look at the team first, then tell me where the talent is.

Joe Montana, Roger Staubach, Johhny Unitas, Peyton Manning, Dan Marino, Sammy Baugh, George Blanda, John Elway, Bob Griese, Joe Namath... those were great Quarterbacks, and if you notice, most of those greats, didnt have all-pro teams surrounding them, they were just raw talent.

So please, talk about who you think is an over-rated QB, pro or college.

next up... Tom effin' Brady.

I agree. I could give two shits about Aikman or Tony HomoRomo for that matter.

I can't really think of any other QB's I consider truly overrated. However, I'm not sure why Peyton Manning seems to be on every other commercial, but the likes of Tom Brady who has 3 Super Bowl rings to his one (I think that's the correct number, right?) is hardly ever mentioned outside the sports world. His papa, Archie Manning, is a legend here in NOLA so his boys get a lot of respect down here. But again, not Eli as much as Peyton even though they both have SB rings. I don't get it, maybe because he's Manning the Elder he gets more respect. He's certainly having the better season this year. I don't really follow any teams other than my beloved Saints (10-0), so maybe Peyton really is a superior QB...

And it goes w/out saying I think Drew Brees is also underrated, but that's a different thread topic. :censored:

If you really watch a UF game and watch the team and play design and the amount of coverage Tebow gets, you'd think you could pull off what he does. UF has always had over-rated QB's. UF has always had great lines and backs, which is the main relief for a QB under fire. Look at Danny Wuerffel, he was somewhat of a precission passer, but he couldn't throw the ball farther that 40 yards. 40 effin' yards. He leaves the glory of UF and enters the NFL (QB league) and falters out after just several seasons. Couldnt even make it as a back up. Steve Spurrier was a 'glorified QB' for UF, he runs into the NFL and does 6 seasons as a backup. He got wise and decided to get into coaching. It is sad to say, but Rex Grossman has probably had one of the best NFL experiences, and yet he was still on a losing team, and has already been traded down. UF QB's is NOT where its at. If you are a Gator fan, you need to start focusing on your great backs, receivers, and linemen who are gonna break out into the bigs.

I will say it again, put Tebow on the Kentucky or Vandy team, and see just how far he'd get.

• 2 weeks later...

Tebow lost. Tebow cried. 'nuff said.

Eh... I know Miami fans hate the Pats and all (which I still don't get why...) But Tom Brady's 3 Superbowl rings will disagree with him being over-rated. He's been slipping lately though... as has Belichick... stupid 4th downs grumble grumble...

Super Bowl rings are on the fingers of many over rated people Benny. Thats how they got over rated. Aikman has a few rings, and he was way over rated. Brady isn't a raw great QB. He is a good QB at best, built around a good team. His team isn't as good as it used to be and now you are seeing 'Tom Brady' as he is talent wise... he isnt slipping.

Tebow lost. Tebow cried. 'nuff said.

Eh... I know Miami fans hate the Pats and all (which I still don't get why...) But Tom Brady's 3 Superbowl rings will disagree with him being over-rated. He's been slipping lately though... as has Belichick... stupid 4th downs grumble grumble...

LAlthough I hate to see Ash go, I like the new avatar! Sorry, it's not just MIA--everyone outside of Boston hates the Pats. :love: Only kidding, partially. Personally I love the Pats and look forward to seeing them loose to the Saints in the Dome again next year. :love:

I'll say this: Is Payton Manning a better Quarterback? Yes, I think so. The dude makes his calls in Gaelic, and makes the team learn Gaelic so they can understand what he's saying. How cool is that? Brees? I think he's a great quarterback too. I don't think, however you can just toss Brady or Aikman aside however. Aikman was great for his time, Brady's a great quarterback too. Moss and Welker are great receivers, definitely. The ball doesn't throw itself, however. If Brady's off by a bit, or throws at the wrong time it can miss or worse yet get intercepted like it has been. He IS slipping. Making completions is a relationship between QB and reciever. If either is shitty, you'll come up with a bad number. Brady has 65% for the season. One of the highest. He's not #1, but he is great.

You say he is, I say he isn't. We will never agree.

Your wide is your mid factor, your overlooked factor is your line. Aikman had great wides and a great line, and he couldnt get the ball very far down field.

Elway was a great, Montana was a great. Manning is a hall of famer now if he retired and he has a good career ahead.

Brady is a good precission passer, as Aikman was, but thats all they had. Not great, just good.

LAlthough I hate to see Ash go, I like the new avatar! Sorry, it's not just MIA--everyone outside of Boston hates the Pats. :love: Only kidding, partially. Personally I love the Pats and look forward to seeing them loose to the Saints in the Dome again next year. :love:

Thanks, man! (I'm pretty bummed they (the Sox) gave up Mike Lowell today. : ( My wife and mother met his parents, went to the same church as them for a while there. ) Hopefully we get Doc Halliday. If not, he better not go to the stinkin Yankees.

So everyone outside Boston mostly hates the Pats? But why? Everyone loved the Cowboys when they won all the time... Ah well. Nick, remember Krissy? Kristina Chung? Her brother Patrick Chung plays for the Patriots! #25, Cornerback. Even more reason for me to root for my hometeam.

Favre is a good quarterback, but is / was overrated by the cheese state. I have never felt that McNabb was anything out of the ordinary. I feel that he gets amped hype because he isnt the... gonna say it... great white hype. An awesome black quarterback... Warren Moon.

Brady has a good team, but I don't feel that he is anywhere near great. Simply over-rated. Like Trent Dilfer when he was on the Bucs Superbowl team... oh because hes on the championship team , clearly the QB was the one who single handidly took them there. Tanpa raved about Dilfer and what an underrated QB he was... 2 seasons later they couldnt wait to get rid of him.

wrong

He was a good QB in college too. That clip shows that he is one tough QB. If he had a slightly better line, he will shine quite well. He is one of the most knocked down passers this season based on a % and playing time. It is hard to set up a decent play if you are constantly dodging 290 pound refridgerators.

Archived