Hondo's Bar

Cosmic Marvel

Genroh

CaptainMarvelIII_03.jpg

Genis-Vell (Photon/Captain Marvel/Legacy) was one of my favorite supes back in the day. His original 35 issue run as Captain Marvel was a fun cosmic joyride. Thanos, The Magus, Blastarr & Burstarr, Ronan the Accuser, Psycho Man, etc. Then came his reboot vol. 2 series (25 issue) and everything went to hell.

They tried to turn him into an asshole, but ended up being an anti-hero with his whole Crazy like a Fox story arc that went on WAY to long. They basically did everything they could conceivably do to make him unlikeable and periodically a nugget of good/dark writing would slip through and people liked him again even though he was a douche. Finally they created Phyla-Vell big galactic bruha ensues and Genis goes back to normal (though greatly powered up).

Then they did Odyssey his last story arc which was hit or miss depending whether or not you even care at this point. (I liked it to an extent personally) Then ZANG! cop'out ending complete and utter waste. Then he pops up in New Thunderbolts and gets "killed" by Atlas (which is hard to believe no matter how you slice it) and then he resurrects, joins the TBs and starts calling himself Photon. Zemo comes back with the moonstones and in Thunderbolts 100 along with Smuggler in what could only be the most anti-climactic battles, Genis is killed, cut into pieces and scattered across the Dark Dimension (so he can't reform you see :) ) and so ends Genis-Vell. What a waste.

Highlight of his time with the Thunderbolts was when they fought the New Avengers and Genis pwns Sentry. SO satisfying.

EDIT: Added a pic of Genis.

Edited by Genroh

Both actually. After Mar-Vell died his lover on Titan (I forget her name) used some of his DNA and combined it with hers, but in order to make sure he would be prepared against Mar-Vell's enemies he was aged to about 18 (so from baby to teenager in about a day/week) with his brain uploaded with the necessary knowledge. Result: Genis-Vell.

He was later (by accident) merged with Jones the same way as Mar-Vell. Later on though instead of going to the Negative Zone he would go to the Micro-verse.

Edited by Genroh

Genis-Vell (Photon/Captain Marvel/Legacy) was one of my favorite supes back in the day. His original 35 issue run as Captain Marvel was a fun cosmic joyride. Thanos, The Magus, Blastarr & Burstarr, Ronan the Accuser, Psycho Man, etc. Then came his reboot vol. 2 series (25 issue) and everything went to hell.

you're referring to the series that as largely a comedy, right? i forget who wrote it, coudlve been Peter David...i read almost all of it offa newt and just loved it, if its the one im thinking of. i recall him saying he dropped it for similar reasons during the asshole stage...no idea what the point of taking such a fun character and destroying it like that is, i was told by others it "went somewhere" but its not sounding that way. then again, i kinda sleep on cosmic-marvel as a whole otherwise (im told im missing out on Nova & Annihilation).

burrrrrn

really? you read some and didnt like it? ive had the event recommended by numerous people, including sir newtype. i cant see me getting into the cosmic kids myself, though.

I tried to read the lead-in books but that didn't last long, I read the whole series, but really after

Thanos

dies it just kinda stops being interesting. I do agree though, that everything Post-Annihilation has been pretty great, especially the new Guardians of the Galaxy book.

Not a prob. I'm stoked Cosmic Marvel was always one of my favorite sections of the Marvel universe.

Shit like M-Day, Civil War, etc. always seemed like peanuts compared to the grand spectrum of things.

So for current Cosmic Marvel events: Realm of Kings

I'm probably missing some stuff so here is a quick recap. The events of War of Kings, Black Bolt vs. Vulcan left a MASSIVE tear in the universe with the help of a bomb made by Maximus and a full on Scream form BB. (both died :) for BB and :D for Vulcan. Adam X is the TRUE 3rd Summers)

Darkhawk received a power boost is now a cosmic hero (so to speak) and is fighting the Raptor Fraternity while on the run for the assassination of Lilandra (O_O) even though it was actually his armor under the control of one of the Raptors. Currently he is with Nova and a slowly reforming Nova Corps.

Gladiator is now ruler of the Shi'ar and Medusa (along with the Inhuman royal family) is ruler of the Kree. (Crystal married (again) to Ronan the Accuser).

Blastarr is now in possession of Anniulus' Cosmic control rod and is now ruler of the Negetive Zone and trashed the prison created during Civil War. Jack Flag was rescued and his spine mended by the Guardians of the Galaxy (now a member).

Adam Warlock was killed by Martyr(Phyla-Vell) as part of a deal she made with Oblivion. Adam then became The Magus (who's playing a large roll in these events so you know it's serious) and killed over half the of Guardians of the Galaxy.

Silver Surfer is Galactus' Herald again along with Stardust.

Quasar (once again Wendel Vahn) went through the tear where he found the universe where quote: Life won. Death Lost. unquote. As a result was resurrected.

(and looks quite awesome)

Currently the Inhumans, Shi'ar Imperial Guard are fighting new H.P. Lovecraft-style-doppelganger versions of the X-Men and Avengers.

Meanwhile Nova, Darkhawk, and past versions of Mr. Craptastic, Namorta & Black Bolt are battling age old cosmic baddie, Sphinx.

EDIT: Added some more info I just remembered. :P

Edited by Genroh

I'm probably missing some stuff so here is a quick recap. The events of War of Kings, Black Bolt vs. Vulcan left a MASSIVE tear in the universe with the help of a bomb made by Maximus and a full on Scream form BB. (both died :) for BB and :D for Vulcan. Adam X is the TRUE 3rd Summers)

wait, black bolt died? holy shit. thats what i get for dropping off the inhumans after Secret Invasion.

ps you're a monster for that Adam X bit.

:D

Currently the Inhumans, Shi'ar Imperial Guard are fighting new H.P. Lovecraft-style-doppelganger versions of the X-Men and Avengers.

newt was telling me this, about Magus and how Surfer was powered up again, Nova as well. still, i gotta see pics of those lovecraftian dopplegangers.

wait, black bolt died? holy shit. thats what i get for dropping off the inhumans after Secret Invasion.

ps you're a monster for that Adam X bit.

:2T:

newt was telling me this, about Magus and how Surfer was powered up again, Nova as well. still, i gotta see pics of those lovecraftian dopplegangers.

I stand by that claim goddammit.

:2T:

Vulcan's a cunt anyway, especially for killing off Black Bolt and it's bullshit he could even fight after having his skin ripped off from a point blank spoken word from BB. (the final battle had a LOT of WTF moments, but that was the biggest)

Yeah I damn well stand by that claim. Adam X sucks, but I'd rather have him than that cunt.

The new & improved Quasar.

A fucked up universe beyond the breach.

Doppelganger Avengers in normal mode.

Thor crab-face mode

Ex-Men

I knew Thanos wouldn't be dead long the way KratosDrax just sort of casually killed him.

So half the Guardians of the Galaxy are dead? What's the current roster? Is Rocket Raccoon still alive?

Current roster:

Star Lord

Rocket Racoon

Jack Flag

Drax

Bug

Groot

Moondragon(new)

Deceased:

Adam Warlock (killed by Martyr, then turned into The Magus)

Gamora (Killed by Magus)

Martyr (Phyla-Vell after becoming herald to Oblivion. Killed by Gamora for killing Adam)

Cosmo (Russian space dog. Killed by Magus)

Mantis (Killed by Magus)

Major Victory (Vance Astro. Killed by Magus)

Edited by Genroh

• 2 weeks later...

Guardians of the Galaxy 23. Spoilers Ahoy!

Cool cover art of Magus and hilarious mock cover art of Deadpool donning Magus' old afro from his debut.

Phyla, Mantis, Cosmo, Vance and Gamora LIVE!!

Gamora is siding with the Magus. T_T

Phyla-Vell finally acknowledged the fact that after all these years, she sucks... and proceeds to correct that once and for all! (seriously, she's quite awesome in this issue)

(Nerd Alert: she keeps saying she's Deaths avatar, she's actually Oblivions avatar Deaths brother)

King Blastarr is now part of a new cosmic committee (assumingly along with Medusa and Gladiator) but someone (something) is trying to assassinate him and it's up to the GotG to protect him.

Edited by Genroh

• 3 months later...

The Thanos Imperative: Ignition is out now.

Thanos-Imp-1_02.jpg

WARNING MASSIVE SPOILERS AHOY!

Mar-Vell (the real one) is lord of the Cancer-verse.

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/5527/lordmarvell.jpg

I remember there being a What If where he found a cure for his cancer which somehow made him a carrier of a contagious super-cancer that virulently spread throughout the galaxy.

Edited by Genroh

• 1 year later...

Admittedly, I wasn't aware of cosmic marvel that much. Galactus and Silver Surfer was what I was aware of, because there were episodes of spider-man and x-men devoted in some fashion to them. Then I read The Thanos Imperative.

Leaving aside the fact that they

brought back Thanos just to kill him more convincingly dead until the next time somebody wants to write a story about him,

I was taken aback by how... important the cosmic scale was trying to be. A lot of stuff was trying to be cool on scale and bad-ass alone, but it just seemed silly to me. There were elements of cool, I suppose, but it was all in concept, not in character. And then, at the end, they formed the Annihilators, and I read their run.

It feels like Cosmic Marvel is where cool people with cool powers go to be cool and powerful. I'm not sure if there's anything more to it than that, but that's how I felt after these two things.

GotG has it's moments, it's a fun book. Rocket Raccoon and Cosmo could have their own monthly team-up title as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't be pissed about some Groot liberally sprinkled about either.

I thought it was funny that the first page synopsis repeatedly mentions in every issue that they exist to close the fissures in reality, but they do that like...twice, and then spend 2 years bouncing to random situations.

I dug Thanos Imperative. It's classic Thanos vs. Mar-Vell

Only you're rooting for the opposite side than you'd expect. Even as far as Life vs. Death...death is clearly the good guy. FUCK LIFE! Nice little switcharoo. I'm also a sucker for demonic dopplegangers, so there's that.

I'm gonna skip Nova and go catch up on X-Men now.

• 11 months later...

Marvel to do Thanos: Year one in Oct.

By Ed McGuinness, Marvel Comics

In October's Thanos: Son of Titan, readers will find out how the cosmic baddie came to be a galactic threat to civilization.

In October's Thanos: Son of Titan, readers will find out how the cosmic baddie came to be a galactic threat to civilization.

First appearing in an issue of Iron Man in 1973, the smirking, purple-skinned powerhouse popped up in May in a post-credits scene in the box-office behemoth The Avengers, teasing to his possible roles in an Avengers sequel or other Marvel Studios movies.

Marvel Comics is thinking along the same lines: In October, Thanos: Son of Titan makes its debut as a five-issue miniseries that reveals the origin of this major galactic threat to civilization. (Thanos is also the foil to Captain America, Iron Man and Thor in Marvel's Avengers Assemble series.)

"It is about how Thanos came to be," says Joe Keatinge, 30, the up-and-coming writer who teams with British artist Richard Elson on Son of Titan. "I don't go Forrest Gump on it, but aspects of the Marvel Universe have been born that directly turn Thanos into who he is."

Associate editor Sana Amanat calls Thanos the definitive Marvel villain. "He's our Darth Vader, our Sauron, with a wonderfully massive and abrasive ego. Heroes have yet to figure out what his weakness is, and because of that, the journey to his destruction — or maybe redemption? — will be the stuff that epic stories are made of."

Son of Titan starts Thanos off young, even before the events of the first Marvel Universe comic, 1961's Fantastic Four No. 1, and before he sided with the intergalactic female version of Death. Keatinge was a youngster collecting Dr. Doom action figures and watching 1960s Spider-Man cartoons when he became enamored with Thanos after reading the 1991 event series The Infinity Gauntlet by Thanos' creator, Jim Starlin.

"At the time, I was just like, 'Oh, I need to know everything about him that I could.' To me, it's cool to finally get into that head space from when I was a kid and explore that as a writer," Keatinge says.

"He ends up at the point where he's worshiping Death and destroying universes. How do you get to that head space where you're like, 'This is what I want to do with the rest of my life?' "

It was actually a match made in the Twitter-verse that paired Keatinge with the outer-space baddie. Marvel editor Stephen Wacker reached out on social media to compliment him on his Image Comics series Glory, and a few e-mails and calls later Wacker offered him the series.

"My sniff was he was a guy who knows Marvel comics and the big ideas behind action stories," Wacker says.

Keatinge recalls seeing the Avengers scene with Thanos on the film's opening weekend in a packed theater, and he says everyone — including him — was wowed by the surprise cameo.

"You don't know anything about this guy," he says of Thanos' appeal. "He just looks cool."

For Wacker, Thanos is a throwback to the Marvel storytelling of 50 years ago, when there was a certain lack of nuance between heroes and villains and "bad guys twirled their mustaches," he says.

"He's just an evil guy. He wants to rule over things. He wants power. It's just so over the top and operatic — it's as if Shakespeare wrote an opera."

wonder if it'll be as good as Thanos Quest?