Hondo's Bar

Donnie Darko

Guest Yahve

kinda interesting movie. i would recommend viewing it if it pops up on HBO but no worries otherwise. better review comming up later.. just wanted to let everyone know i saw it :D

• 1 month later...

As a film editor for my uni mag I get invited to preview screenings and this mrning went to see a little film called 'Donnie Darko'.

I didn't know much about it other than Jason Schwartzman (Rushmore) was originally slated for the lead and it has cameos from Drew Barrymore, Patrick Swayze and Noah Wyle (Dr. John Carter in E.R.).

I don't really know where to start talking about this film, it is so complex, gripping, funny, and most of all, smart. It revolves aroung Donnie Darko, confused teenager of suburban america who narrowly avoids certain death thanks to Frank, his imaginary friend in a rabbit costume, from a falling jet engine crashing into his bedroom. Donnie then proceeds to uncover secrets about time travel, religion and the universe generally surrounded by adults determined to simplify everything to Love or Fear.

This is not an easy film to follow, especially at the conclusion, but is less self-important than David Lynch works though not much easier to understand or swallow. Everything about this film shows a film-maker with a clear vision and used a script that new-comer director Richard Kelly wrote and would let no-one else direct, with good reason.

I'm going to stop rambling but just say that this film is taking a firm spot in my top ten films of all time and I would urge everyone to see it NOW, especially because Patrick Swayze has finally picked a decent role.

10 out of 10.

:approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally saw this one today, I'd been cursed for a while, something popping up every time I tried to see it. Enjoyed the hell out of it. I wouldn't put it on any over my favorite film lists, like many people that I know that have seen it have done, but it was great. It was fun, smart, and original. I'll never understand how this movie got made. I guess I see how it can be compared to a Lynch movie, but I don't know how much of his stuff I'd put it ahead of. I mean, it sure as hell was better than Lost Highway... It didn't preach, which is what I think MLB was getting at. Anyways, I liked its overall attitude and style. This is precicely what a good first time writer/director should produce. Something fresh and exciting, maybe a little rough around the edges, but an excellent jolt away from your average movie.

it sure as hell was better than Lost Highway...

Lost Highway wasn't a movie, is was an excuse to put together a badass movie soundtrack. They compiled all this great music and said "well, we have to make a movie so we can release it as a soundtrack."

Anyway, where is Donnie Darko playing? Or is it on video and dvd?

It's on DVD now, well worth a look. You know, sometimes I'd wish they'd admit that movies were made just to put out a soundtrack. They could have each band make a realy high budget video and just string em together or something. It'd make shit like lost highway and spawn into really cool musicals.

• 1 month later...

style, originality, and complexity? yes. a good film? no. sorry guys, but this film is going in what direction? it's like one guy getting tugged every which way. Like the genre. There is none to describe this film. Yes, it comes together fine, but it's something i'd recommend only to the die hard david lynch fans. i did like the frank thing though.

note: chihiro was angry i showed it to her