Hondo's Bar

Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Lycaon

From the Wikipedia:

There exist strange creatures who have the power to grant one wish to a chosen girl. However, in exchange, that girl must then become a Puella Magi, a girl with magical powers, and fight against witches, evil creatures born from darkness that are responsible for murders and suicides. In the city of Mitakihara, a schoolgirl named Madoka Kaname and her friend Sayaka Miki are approached by a familiar named Kyubey, who offers to grant them each one wish in return for making them Puella Magi. Another Puella Magi named Homura Akemi tries to prevent Madoka from making such a deal, while Kyubey urges Madoka by telling her she will become the most powerful Puella Magi. However unlike the glamorous notions of becoming a magical girl, the Puella Magi find themselves dealing with death, isolation, the value of their wishes, and existential crises. Madoka, following her Puella Magi friends, soon sees the darker side of being a Puella Magi, and despite knowing the truth of the existence of the Puella Magi, still questions if she should become a Puella Magi as well.

C.J. Showed me this a while back, but I just now got around to watching it. This is a dark messed up series. Enjoy.

Let me say one more thing for those that have watched it:

I've been saying that time travel's bad, haven't I?

Edited by Lycaon

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I didn't really like the first half of ep1. Of course they have to build it up, but it was really slow and cliched and predictable. Once she found Kyube and they went to that other world, that is interesting, and I am interested to see where it goes from here. I'll definately watch it at all some point. Thanks for pointing it out.

• 7 months later...

Finished this yesterday and kinda pissed I sat on it so long. Great, great show. Add Morrison to my previous statement cause this show get crazy in it's last few episodes. Loved it. Now I can't wait to watch the movies, especially the third one, which comes out next year. Parts 1 and 2 are making a limited theatrical run starting friday, unfortunately there are no theaters showing it anywhere near Miami (typical) :weep:

• 3 years later...

I just got around to watching it this week, and I have to agree on the "this shouldn't be put off" mentality. I regret that it took me so long to get around to this. Fantastic show. Takes all the tropes of a magical girl anime and lets in on what might be behind the looking glass. Loved it!

• 2 weeks later...

Eight episodes into this and I'm pretty impressed. I'll admit, I wasn't at first, but it's definitely grown on me. The story's darkness is a really stark contrast to its cutesy characters. I'm kinda loving that now... and understand. If this wasn't, at least, halfway geared to youth, it'd be one of the better anime out there. Ever.

Edited by Da Cap'n 2099

• 1 year later...

I saw this series after reading about Kill La Kill. (The whole magical girl theme) Its probably the most thought provoking series since Evangelion imo. For some reason I thought Evangelion story was much more convoluted and out of whack.

For anyone interested in this different take on the Magical Girl Genre they have to get past episode 3 where the real story picks up. Since it does start off a  bit squeamish with a lot of  lovy dovy and girly-like kawaii(cutesy) stuff. But by the end of episode 3....not so much...