Hondo's Bar

Resident Evil 5, or How Was THAT Movie a Hit‽‽

Keth

MOD's NOTE: This topic was split off from The Movie Trailers thread because it was becoming a discussion about how movie no one you know liked could make total bank while a movie like Scott Pilgrim Vs The World made only $31M domestically and $16M overseas!

Ok this is just getting silly now.

Edited by Reverend Jax

I learned a lot in my years peddling videos to the masses. One of these things was that there are multitudes of people that really, really dig stuff that you and everyone you associate with find ridiculous.

The RE films make cash like it's nobody's business. Each one makes more money than the last. They have no motivation to make them better, because they somehow make MORE money by making them worse. It's...irritating.

Resident Evil - $103,787,401

Resident Evil: Apocalypse - $128,940,078

Resident Evil: Extinction - $146,162,920

Resident Evil: Afterlife - $295,874,190

f9lhc4.jpg

Edited by Thelogan

Dude...you have no idea. People were waiting outside waiting for me to open for that movie. Wanna see something even worse? This one was a constant source of confusion for me, and it will always be what I remember from that job. So many people asking, nay BEGGING, for this movie. Never enough copies in.

Paul Blart: Mall Cop

Released on DVD: May 19, 2009

DVD Units Sold: 3,662,355

Consumer Spending: $54,869,326

Good question, Jax. I have no idea, the site just says "DVD sales", but I would imagine it includes Bluray. I'm pulling 'em from here.

Haku: Good idea, you're the one with power in this little corner. Do yer thang.

Also, your patriotism may have been briefly bolstered by the rest of the world contributing so much to RE 4's success, but I present this.

Paul Blart: Mall Cop

Theatrical Performance

Domestic Box Office $146,336,178

International Box Office $35,434,800

Worldwide Box Office $181,770,978

Ohhhh, white people. You so crazy.

VM2oK.gif

Oh god. Those are really depressing, because they don't even have international sales. That is our shit, and we should be ashamed of what we have eaten. They don't do great at the box office (looks like 50 mil-ish average), but they score heavy in DVD sales. Latest one sold nearly half a million copies.

Madea movies don't make much, but they cost like nothing to make.

So yeah, the question is: How could a movie no one you know liked make total bank while a movie like Scott Pilgrim Vs The World made only $31M domestically and $16M overseas?

I think the answer is that cool smart movies appeal to cool smart people, most of whom know how to easily pirate HD quality copies of a movie they want to see very soon after, if not before, the film's release. I remember I had a discussion with Nick about the quality of music these days, like the pair of gray haired old fuck faces we are. I asked him, 'when was the last time he bought any new music?' He said it had been years. So I said 'what right do you have to complain that the industry isn't catering to you?' I bet you a good chunk of Community fans that piss and moan that it isn't a hit show and that it might not be renewed, don't even bother watching it legitimately on Hulu because the commercials would take it up to 25 minutes of total viewing time rather than 22 minutes on bittorrent.

I believe the last major label CD I bought for myself was in 2002. I've bought very little music since then, and it's all been independent stuff. So I ask myself, 'why should the music industry cater to me?' Ke$ha doesn't appeal to me, but the people it does appeal to buy the fucking music, so why shouldn't they promote that shit?

Frankly, it's a wonder any real money gets put into great projects like Scott Pilgrim at all. I'm surprised they're not putting Resident Evil movies out faster. I'm not sure if Milla Jovovich is a necessary component of the franchise's success, but she's not getting any younger, they should make one every year. Same with Underworld.

Edited by Reverend Jax

I find your assessment is surprisingly optimistic. I'm more inclined to think that it's because most people are really stupid and like really stupid things, and stupid people hemorrhage money. Spending a lot of time on the internets can paint a somewhat skewed view of the world.

I asked him, 'when was the last time he bought any new music?'

Really weird you would say that. I was listening to a radio interview with Ice-T just a few hours ago, and he was talking about how he gets approached all the time by aspiring musicians wanting to get signed, and he asks them the EXACT thing you just said. Like, word for word. Very weird. Anyway, when they get that confused look in their eyes he then asks why that's an industry they want to get into.

And that's why he does TV.

What are you talking about? Are you blaming pirating for Scott Pilgrim's poor performance at the theaters?? Cause I can tell you "smart cool people" make up a small majority (well smaller than you would think) of pirates and/or people who purchase pirated movies. Maybe it wasn't that good of a film, and was really only made for a minority audience, namely nerds or "smart cool people" as you put it. Sure some people pirated it, and have a copy sitting on their hard drives that they still watch to this day.

Resident Evil will be just as easy to pirate though, but it still makes big bank despite the fact that it is made to cater to a larger audience and therefore should be pirated even more.

Music though is a whole different topic. I download a LOT of music. But I also buy a lot of music. I bought two cds off CdBaby about a week ago. I can't say I have every album I have downloaded on cd as well, but I am trying.

But I have been exposed to a lot more music because I pirate, and have bought albums I would have never even known about if I hadn't just downloaded them randomly on a whim. So pirating hurts some musicians, but then you have people like Trent Reznor putting out 4 cd albums for free. Plus when I was in rehab I was roomed with a guy who used to be in the music business and he was talking about how today a lot of bands make most of their money from tours, they really don't care about cd sales so much anymore. Well not that they don't care, but they will only be getting maybe at most a dollar per cd sold. Split this among however many people are in your band or helped you make the cd, and well thats not a lot left over for you.

Yeah a lot of people who are "normal" wont/cant/dont pirate and will only purcahse stuff legitimately, but I say if your shit is good, people will buy it anyways.

I'd say that was a special case of his appeal to his fans directly about how he didn't go through any corporation and all that jazz made all the difference. If that special had just been thrown up on iTunes, I think things would be different.

Let's take a look at btjunkie.org searches. The top hit for a search for "resident evil afterlife" had 6799 seeders and 2363 leechers. The top hit for "scott pilgrim vs the world" had 13914 seeders and 4570 leechers. Both films came out in 2010, about a month apart, so they are equally old. Scott Pilgrim had a worldwide box office of $47.7 million, while Resident Evil: Afterlife had a $296.2 million worldwide box office. Over 6 times the box office, less than half the seeders/leechers.

Mortiis: I am saying there are certain types of movies that appeal to a specific type of person, like your average Hondonian, that are much more likely to have a larger portion of their audience enjoy said movie without paying for it, while lots of movies that don't appeal to your average Hondonian are not as hurt by said freeloading. I believe you are saying that is not the case.