Hondo's Bar

FUCK CAPCOM

IceManML

Seriously man. The last classic this company has is being Boston crabbed out the door. Unbelievable. After they quit on SF after 3 and how these pioneers prove them wrong every time as they continue to fail without the titles that built this company...

This is so upsetting that there's not gonna be SF for a hell of a long time after they dropped megaman already.. This is bullshit.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Capcom-Overworks-Ono-Says-Famous-Street-Fighter-Producer-43521.html

Yoshinori Ono is another developer who decided to speak up about working conditions within the electronic entertainment software industry...specifically, working conditions at Capcom. In a lengthy interview with Eurogamer the producer tells writer Simon Parkin to use the headline "Capcom overworks Ono" because he says the company would sack him if he tried speaking up on the issues.

Just so readers have an idea of what this is all about, Yoshinori Ono is the famous producer who rose through the ranks of Capcom and eventually nursed Street Fighter back into the mainstream spotlight with Street Fighter 4. According to Ono, Capcom wanted nothing to do with Street Fighter after Third Strike because they didn't see it as a mainstream seller anymore and Ono says he received a lot of inter-office political opposition getting the game done and out there.

Fast-forward a few rehashes and millions of dollars of revenue later and Ono is back on the fighting game train, this time with a little title called Street Fighter X Tekken. Now, most of you know about all the ugly news that came out of this site involving the disc-locked content, which eventually caused the game to under-perform on Capcom's estimated bottom line for the game.

One of the things we didn't cover during that time was the stress Yoshinori Ono had undergone promoting the game and trying to save face for Capcom. It resulted in him passing out and being hospitalized due to heart troubles. Ono says that once he got back to the office Capcom had already set out a schedule for him and prompted him to get right back to work. This cued the following response from Ono...

"Capcom doesn't allow a trade union or any sort of worker movement you see,"..."So if I complain I will probably get sacked. You have to say it for me, OK? I want you to write: 'Capcom overworks Ono'. That's your headline."

He then follows it up with something I didn't expect him to say -- since the above statement comes across as jocular and slightly surreal -- but he gets serious stating the following about Capcom's work schedule....

Nobody told me to take a rest. When I returned to work, Capcom didn't even acknowledge that I had been in hospital. There was no change in my schedule. I was at home for an entire week before the doctors allowed me to return to work. When I returned to my desk there was a ticket to Rome waiting for me. There's no mercy. Everyone in the company says: 'Ono-san we've been so worried about you.' Then they hand me a timetable and it's completely filled with things to do."

"After I passed out, I was thinking in the hospital: there are so many people at Capcom that, over the years, have disappeared at one time or another. Suddenly, in that bed I understood what happened to them... The day after a game is finished and goes off to manufacture there are 10 empty desks, their previous occupants never to be seen again."

He's referring to Keiji Inafune of Mega-Man fame, Hideki Kamiya of Devil May Cry fame, and Shinji Mikami who made Resident Evil a household name. All of the aforementioned game designers are no longer with Capcom.

He's the last superstar legend on Capcom's roster and the interview, if taken seriously, seems as if he may not be there much longer. He also talks about rising through the ranks, working absurd hours and practically living out of the office to get the projects finished on time, some with rather ridiculous stipulations. If you think it's all bollocks think again.

While it's an anonymous post on 4Chan, you can read this post for what it's worth. It details an atrocious experience an employee had while working at Capcom, their treatment of employees and how they will cut every corner possible to enforce production on a game is churned out fast and furious like a factory-made consumable.

Now if you're of the ilk who won't even glance at anything 4Chan worthy, perhaps the next example will hit a little closer to the reality pot, as a young female employee assigned to the Dragon's Dogma team was harassed enough at the company to the point of nearly committing suicide, as reported by Kotaku. The case has entered litigation but much of what was described by Ono and the anonymous 4Chan poster is also mentioned by the former Capcom employee. Great times, eh?

Capcom wouldn't be the first company falling under accusations of employee mistreatment. Anyone recall the spouses of EA employees filing a lawsuit against the company? Yeah, well if you don't remember, the article is still fresh and available over at CNET.

If Yoshinori Ono is serious about Capcom then it won't be long before he departs, but one thing becomes blatantly clear: Capcom doesn't just screw gamers over with all their anti-consumer shenanigans, they also screw their own employees over in order to enforce said shenanigans. If you boycott Capcom you're not just boycotting poor consumer policies but poor employee policies as well. It's kind of crappy because I was planning on getting Resident Evil 6.

On a positive note, the famous Street Fighter producer doesn't plan on leaving gaming for good, he still has plans for the future, saying...

"I want to sit in my office and plan this out. There have been rumours saying Ono is dead or retiring. None of that's true. I want to support the next generation of fighting game. It's my job. It's my calling."

ofABy.jpg

yeah, was kinda waiting on this after Seth Killian leaving and all - look on the bright side, now he's free for Evo!

seriously though, i kinda feel bad double-dipping in a bit on Okami with talent like Kamiya long gone. stuff like this & the mess with the FGC after the SF x T disaster, makes it feel like Ono's kinda pissed and possibly looking at the door, following in your boy Inafune's footsteps.

If i was them, i'd be kinda worried...take away Ono and all i can think of is whichever team did Dragon's Dogma, and you don't wanna end up like Konami with one leg left to stand on.

For their sake, I hope they make their high-ass expectations on RE6, it looks good so far and Revelations was great.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Resident Evil 6 day-one patch breaks PSN copies

Resident Evil 6's day-one PlayStation 3 patch has stopped downloaded copies of game from loading, which renders the game unplayable.

Compatibility issues between the patch and legitimately-downloaded PSN copies can be circumvented by a workaround, Capcom told IGN, while the developer readies a fresh patch.

"The temporary fix to ensure people can enjoy Resident Evil 6 today as intended is to ask

those people to uninstall the game (only if they originally saw an error message) and reinstall the game," a Capcom spokesperson said. "This time they won't be prompted to download the patch and the game will load."

But anyone using this workaround will be left unable to play online with others.

"Please note, however, these people won't be able to play against disc owners on a temporary basis," Capcom added. "We are working with SCEE (Sony) to fix this issue and a patch is imminent to fix the issue."

The issue also blocks RE.net, the game's online stat-tracking and reward service.

Disc-based PS3 copies of the game remain unaffected - the problem only hits fans who pre-paid and downloaded a digital copy.

ictKi.jpg

10 GB download, too. harsh.

well, on the other hand...

darkstalkers-resurrec2wui4.jpg

Capcom is packing Night Warriors: Darkstalkers Revenge and Darkstalkers 3 for download on Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network in early 2013. Development is being handled by Iron Galaxy, who last worked on Marvel Vs. Capcom: Origins and Wreckateer for Kinect.

The package costs $14.99 and includes:

GGPO-enabled online game play

HD graphical filtering with multiple viewing options

Replay sharing

Spectator Mode

In-game achievements

Challenge/Tutorial Mode and an un-lockable vault filled with concept artwork, videos and more.

• 1 month later...

after watching this I've changed my mind. (like that wouldve been hard to do anyway)

Ive already seen the concept art but only some and the lobby replay feature is awesome. But the arcade machine at comicon I saw was pretty baron so def must show support. Intro is sick as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeeQO1ybYKI

Edited by IceManML

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quite fukin tragic.. Darkstalkers might not even come out in the US. I've given up hope for my fav capcom games.

Megaman 2 smashed the boundaries of chip tunes; not even mario3 was close. I would've even accepted a "rockman" game based on music since equal amounts of focus goes into the music anyway. But NOOOOOOOOOOO phoquing capcom..