Hondo's Bar

The Evil Dead 2013

Keth

Remake footage at New York Comic Con

83Qx7.jpg

First, we saw the iconic cabin, which is introduced with the iconic Sam Raimi low-angle tracking shot. A group of new kids and Jane Levy push open the old cabin door, revealing leaves, dirt and a grubby cabin floor. Jane looks beat as hell and ready for her night of heroin withdraw (yes they are keeping the plot similar to the original). A trap door is discovered. A boy heads down the stairs and discovers THE NECRONOMICON! Sadly, we didn't get the money shot of the new book cover; all we saw was a book wrapped in black plastic, someone ripping into it and the familiar old pages. The character starts flipping through the Necronomicon, rubbing a pencil over the strange words. He recites the enchanted phrases. Jane lets out an insane high-pitched scream and then states, "We're all going to die tonight." This was already cut together pretty quickly; now things get even faster, so we're only getting flashes of the gore. I spot a girl in the shower cutting up the sides of her mouth, while one of her cabinmates screams, "What are you doing?" Another girl's arm looks like it's covered in boils, and she takes an electric carving knife to her bicep. Someone starts up a chainsaw (the crowd goes insane at this). Cut to another girl trapped in the woods, wrapped with branches. Yep, the raping tree is back. Jane returns with white eyes, white skin and a black tongue, which she sticks out, provocatively licking an exposed knife. Slowly the knife starts splitting her tongue in half. She's doing this right in front the boil armed girl's face. The crowd goes wild.

Hopefully this will get a shaky cam-phone version unlike everything else at CC San Diego.

Edited by axel_napalm

Zombies are based on science. Nothing else. EVEN voodoo zombies (see Serpent and the Rainbow). Evil Dead is all mystical supernatural shit. The "monsters" in that are possessed. If anything, Evil Dead and The Excorsist are more closely related.

Based on what? There are numerous cases of zombies in movies and other popular culture being brought about by means that aren't scientific. In fact I seem to remember you liked a zombie book called "Play Dead." Lets look at the plot synopsis shall we?

"Today’s #1 New York Times bestselling thriller writers agree: Ryan Brown’s compulsively readable first novel is unbeatable—a darkly humorous, rich and pungent zombie shocker that melds our national obsession with football and the newest wave of fascination with the undead.For the first time in Killington High School history, the Jackrabbits football team is one win away from the district championship where it will face its most vicious rival, the Elmwood Heights Badgers. On the way to the game, the Jackrabbits’s bus plunges into a river, killing every player except for bad-boy quarterback Cole Logan who is certain the crash was no accident—given that Cole himself was severely injured in a brutal attack by three ski-masked men earlier that day. Bent on payback, Cole turns to a mysterious fan skilled in black magic to resurrect his teammates. But unless the undead Jackrabbits defeat their murderous rival on the field, the team is destined for hell. In a desperate race against time, with only his coach’s clever daughter, Savannah Hickman, to assist him, Cole must lead his zombie team to victory. . . in a final showdown where the stakes aren’t just life or death—but damnation or salvation. Boundlessly imaginative and thrillingly satisfying, Play Dead gives small-town Texas an electrifying jolt of the supernatural, and is unquestioningly The Zombie Novel of the Year!"

Serpent and the Rainbow is literally the only mainstream examples of voodoo zombies being created by science rather than magic. Boy Eats Girl, My Boyfriend's Back, Dead-Alive, Ed and His Dead Mother, pretty much any zombie movie that came out of Italy... the deck is not stacked in your favor. Especially since the classic example: Romero's zombies are never given such a rational explanation, magic space radiation is hinted at in the first but is never mentioned again in subsequent sequels.

And the biggest difference between Evil Dead and The Exorcist is Puzuzu wanted Reagan to die, that was his whole mission, the deadites are nigh-unkillable because their bodies are inanimate even if they take posssession of a living human. I'm not sure how Ash managed to come back, or Sheila for that matter, that was just movie magic.

Edited by Iambaytor

Supernaturally-rooted mythos? Ok, first ever zombie movie... EVER? White Zombie. Method of zombification? Voodoo (which is just hallucinogenic drug abuse). Science.

First ever George A. Romero zombie movie? Night of the Living Dead. Method of zombification? Never explained, except, radiation from satellite mentioned. And even if that were it, that's science, too. So where's this supernatural mythos you're talking about?

I did like that book, but that's what it was, A BOOK. We're talking about movies. Oh and I never said I didn't like Evil Dead. I LOVED Evil Dead! I just can't stand when people call it a zombie movie. Because IT'S NOT!

As far as the movies you mentioned, yes, they all have various different plot devices that are different than my definition, but we're calling into question the status of Evil Dead as a zombie movie. Like I said before, everything in that film gains it's monsterousness from possession. Is possession a form of zombification? No! Even you know this!

wait, seriously? you know there was centuries of vampire mythos before Nosferatu, yeah? i mean, first line of the wiki:

A zombie (Haitian Creole: zonbi; North Mbundu: nzumbe) is an animated corpse resurrected back to life by mystical means, such as witchcraft.

granted, they have a separate entry for your boy Romero under "fictional" (odd distinction, that) but they were featured in stories & works dating across several cultures and centuries. there's no way you're not aware of this.

edit oh wait im late here, yall were talking around me

There is no such thing as "mystical means". It's fucking science! The "voodoo master" poisons the victim with drugs that slow down their heart and other internal shit that gives the appearance of death. Then they "resurrect" and because of some loss of brain function become the "slave" to the master as a mindless zombie.

What type of zombies existed before voodoo zombies? Please explain. I've already explained to you what a voodoo zombie ACTUALLY is. What else is there?

You can call a fucking kid walking around not looking up from his cell phone a zombie. Do they even ever call anything in Evil Dead a zombie? If they did, I don't remember that. A ZOMBIE is any mindless human, undead or not, that is created through scientific means. That's a REAL zombie.

Edited by Panch