Hondo's Bar

Ray-Donovan.jpg

Ray Donovan with Liev Schreiber. New Showtime show with the potential to be the next big thing on tv. Three episodes in and this thing is fantastic. I made a comment on Twitter/Facebook and someone said that it was Mike from Breaking Bad having his own show. It's not exactly that, but it's a good comparison just to get the Hondos folks watching.

Yeah, but she basically managed to get you to hate her in one scene where as the others did it over the course of episodes or even seasons.

Ray basically says to his wife in a moment of vulnerability, "The worst thing you can do is let my ex-con father, whom we moved to the other side of the country to avoid, in to our lives. He is evil."

Five minutes later she lets pops in the front door and reveals she's been writing him in prison behind her husband's back. It's like the audience was force fed a betraying-cunt-sandwich called Ray Donovan's Wife in that scene. I will likely hate her for all time now.

I thought the first episode was really strong and intro'd some great characters and an interesting dynamic. The second and third weren't quite as strong, but still entertaining. I'm going to likely stick w/ it, if for nothing else to find out wtf his dad did that made Ray hate him.

My guess is it likely had to do w/ the sister that killed herself. Ray said she was high on drugs and his dad mentioned he sold drugs. Could be he got his daughter hooked.

I don't know. The show seems to be implying that Ray and his Cali "associates" set dad up as a fall guy for something and dad is now in town to collect for time lost. Also, seems like Ray feels guilty about little sis' death.

Yeah, that Sean guy (who I'm still not sure if he's supposed ot be an actor or director) said outright when he got that pic that he was high on coke and killed someone and they set Ray's dad up for it. But Ray thinks his dad deserved the jail time for some other crime he got away with.

Why aren't more people watching this is the true mystery.

Well, it's good but not great. I'd recommend it, but there are so many other great shows/films this summer that I can see how it'd get put on the backburner for some people. I stopped watching True Blood this season, so this show is replacing it for me on Sundays.

So yeah, this show has had many instances to go OTT in terms of things happening, some specifics are

in the last episode, the bit with the fire. Most shows would've let the house burn down, I feel, but downplaying it as total non event was totally the right thing to do. Also bunchy and the prostitute, I had a thought in my head that he was gonna freak and beat her up, and again, its the direction I felt many shows would've taken but again, did not go with that. There aren't many shows that have been as such, and I applaud the absolute fuck out of it for keeping things on a relatively even kilter.

Ray losing his shit and threatening his dad with a gun was a bit out of character, but I feel that he's kinda losing his apparent cool demeanor with everything that is going on.

Summary, this show rocks.

That whole drugging thing was fantastic. It also made me realise where I recognised that Yuri chap from too. He was Don Eladio in Breaking Bad...

But to me, I felt the gun thing out of character for Ray, even though he clearly dislikes him, threatening him with a gun was a bit out of ordinary. But either way, it worked and served to scare the shit out of his kids. Bring on the next episode, I say.

I've now gone from hating Ray's wife to only mildly disliking here and from liking Ray's kid's to mildly disliking them.

Also, seeing a non-brain-tumored Ezra was kinda cool. Jimmy Woods watching America's funniest home videos w/ his wife went on a bit long, but it was like Ross wrote earlier, a surprise choice. Other shows might've shown him doing something ominous and gangster-y in that cut-away scene.

Terry accepting that he's the other man was probably my favorite performance. Very subtle and nuanced yet spoke volumes about his character.

And Terry called Ray about the kids probably because they'd just been traumatized by their uncle setting his house on fire. He probably didn't think Ray'd traumatize them even more. Maybe he tried to call Abby first but couldn't get her?