Hondo's Bar

Fargo TV Show

I recently finished the ten episodes for season one, and it was a close second to True Detective as the best new series of 2014 for me. It has a lot of nods to the original film, and many of the characters in the series follow "types" established in the film--adept female sheriff surrounded by buffoonish male counterparts, failing salesman turned criminal, the hit man, etc.

There are a lot of really great characters and performances including great supporting cast and guest stars with Keith Carradine, Key & Peele, Oliver Platt, and others. The most talked about performances by critics were Billy Bob Thornton (Lorne Malvo) and Martin Freeman (Lester Nygaard). But Allison Tolman (bluntly named Officer Molly Solverson) absolutely nails it as the moral compass amidst the blizzard of inhumanity that washes over you each episode.

For Breaking Bad fans it will be easy to draw some similarities to Lester and Walter White and Lorne and Gus Fring--especially in the ways Lorne and Lester do despicable things yet somehow remain likeable and in Lester's case even sympathetic for many episodes. Breaking Bad had the "good guy" in Hank, but I was never really rooting for Hank in that series. Tolman's Molly Solverson has you rooting for her despite how much you like Lester and Lorne's bad guys.

I highly recommend this series for when you have a night or two free for binge watching.

And where can this be found?

I don't think it's on DVD or Netflix yet, so as of now your favorite torrent site. It aired originally on FX.

been hearing good things, need to see the flick first though i figure

You honestly don't really have to have seen the film to enjoy the series. But it definitely adds another layer to the series if you have.

The only really "big" direct link to the movie's plot deals w/ the Oliver Platt character's side-story and what lies beneath that fateful red ice scraper.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
Cheese and crackers!

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Has anyone caught Season 2? I've only heard great things and that it's even better than season 1, just haven't got around to it yet.

Similarly to ASC, I've been purposefully holding off on watching S2 so I can binge watch when the season ends next week.

I've been avoiding articles about S2 online, but I do know from seeing the occasional titles of articles that it takes place before S1 and it has something to do with the mafia. I'm hoping maybe it tells the story of the case that made Molly's dad quit the force, which was mentioned several times in S1. Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing it!

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

• 8 months later...

Has anyone caught Season 2? I've only heard great things and that it's even better than season 1, just haven't got around to it yet.

Well, I finally finished S2. And I can say most assuredly that it is NOT better than S1. It's good, but not S1 good.

It's also apparently not the story of why Molly's dad quit the force or why he was on guard all night on the porch in 1979, which he mentioned briefly in the S1 finale. Speaking of which, I rewatched S1 finale and a few things were off from that story he told his granddaughter to what played out in S2--which also takes place in 1979. So there's a small chance S3 might pick back up with this same cast of Patrick Wilson, Ted Danson, and (hopefully) Nick Offerman in 1979.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Fargo Season 4 in Production - Chris Rock to star

Fargo creator Noah Hawley, as he promised, has found a date on his calendar and is moving forward with a fourth season of his Emmy-winning series today toplined by Chris Rock who’ll play the head of a crime family. FX Networks and Productions CEO John Landgraf announced the news today at TCA.

Series EP Warren Littlefield told Deadline back in June that they have a city and year for season 4, and as unveiled today that’s 1950, Kansas City, Missouri.

Essentially the locale will serve as the crossroads and collisions of two migrations, Italians coming from Italy and African Americans fleeing the south to escape Jim Crow, both fighting for a piece of the American dream as two controlling crime syndicates. They are at an uneasy peace controlling an alternate economy of exploitation, graft and drugs. To cement their peace, the heads of both families have traded their eldest sons.

Rock’s character in order to prosper has surrendered his oldest boy to his enemy, and who must in turn raise his son’s enemy as his own. Then the head of the Kansas City mafia goes into the hospital for routine surgery and dies. And everything changes.

Rock said in a statement, “I’m a fan of Fargo and I can’t wait to work with Noah.”

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Digging in to S3 now! S2 will be a tough act to follow, but 2 eps in and this one is really keeping up. David Thewlis is such a creepy villain. I just love the energy of this show. Really rivaling Better Call Saul as the best thing on tv.

• 5 years later...