Hondo's Bar

The Legend of Zelda Netflix Series

Keth

Well excuuuuuuse me Netflix

“The Legend of Zelda,” one of the most popular videogame series of all time, is in the works as a television show at Netflix.

The video streaming service is in the early stages of developing a live action series based on “Zelda,” about an ordinary boy named Link who must rescue a princess named Zelda and save a fantasy world called Hyrule, said a person familiar with the matter. As it seeks writers to work on the show, Netflix is describing it as Game of Thrones for a family audience, this person said.

The “Zelda” games have traditionally included swords and sorcery, like “Game of Thrones” or “Lord of the Rings,” but typically with a more light-hearted, kid-friendly tone.

Netflix is said to be working closely with Nintendo, the Japanese game developer that has made about 20 “The Legend of Zelda” games since the original, which was released in the U.S. in 1987.

Nintendo is very protective of its intellectual property and has allowed few adaptations over the years. An animated “Legend of Zelda” series ran for just one season in 1989. A 1993 movie based on Nintendo’s “Super Mario Bros.” was an infamous bomb.

As it is still seeking a writer to work on the series, Netflix has a long road to travel before a “Legend of Zelda” series actually becomes a reality. It’s also possible that Netflix or Nintendo will kill the project before it gets off the ground.

A Netflix spokeswoman declined to comment. A Nintendo spokeswoman did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

I'm staring at the world's smallest grain of salt right now.

Edited by Axels

wineo.gif it's kind've a shit idea

Zelda has lore, but minimal character and not much story because the whole point of the experience is you going on an adventure out into the woods in an interactive medium - when you remove that last bit, you're watching some knockoff orlando bloom hunt monsters in some mess that no one knows what it should be like so they toss around any kind of vastly unrelated fantasy setting like say game of fucking thrones

like, it's a piss poor enough idea when you do it with more cinematic type games - Resident Evil (whose whole point initially was that you're playing a b-rated horror game...when you then xzibit that shit and make it a b-rated horror flick in a sea of like/better films, why bother) or worse Metal Gear Solid, where its insanely verbose story & meta/4th wall breaking shit - couple with all the great action flicks it's ripping off anyway - again, i don't know why anyone would really want that

but this idea's even worse, because again, by nature link's voice is pretty much yours, and the basic formula it tends to follow is one of exploration, solving puzzle/beast-laden dungeons, and slaying a giant monster for a glowing trinket. could you potentially write an interesting fantasy piece building on such basic concepts, while abandoning the core ones needed to make a film? you sure could, but the end product would likely be so drastically different that i don't know why you'd want to call it Zelda anyway, sales aside. also see: Final Fantasy - Spirits Within

TL;DR imagine playing catch but instead you're watching someone else do it and there's a narrative to it and now it's called something else

Man, you people are really getting hung up on that Game of Thrones thing. It's industry talk: "My show is going to be like <Show that is popular and successful>!" Like how Heroes was going to be "like Lost" (Meaning it was going deal more with character than spectacle) or how every show right now is "in the vein of Breaking Bad" (meaning that it's going to have an complex narrative structure. When they say "like Game of Thrones" they mean "a deep and involved world with many characters."

Nick, I see your point, but I also kind of think it's wrongheaded. Resident Evil didn't suck because it could only suck, it sucked because it was unimaginative and didn't fully commit to its premise as it should have. They wanted to make a B-horror movie, but they also wanted it to be a mainstream blockbuster so they wimped up the gore, cranked up the action, and made other horrible mistakes. I get the whole "character is personal" thing, but that's a game and a movie/tv show isn't a game and Link's narrative is rather stupidly simple by design, but by that nature it's perfect for a starting point for a narrative. The mythology is simple and the world is sparse, you can build off of that. They could still totally mess this up, but just like any other video game adaptation it will be because they don't take it seriously and just try and shovel it out, not because it's too hard to do.

*shrug* i don't think there's enough there for a cinematic experience, and that's something i dig about the series.

but then i liked Resident Evil the movie, and thought if they stuck more to wesker, dogs from windows & jill sandwiches it would've been worse for it

Silent Hill 2, now...that'd be hard as fuck but consider the series' roots lie in stuff like Jacob's Ladder, i do think some of the bigger moments coudl've worked, but you're right, they'd be going for a blockbuster anyway rather than a cult flick so it likely would've not gone well, as i hear the sequel film did (but i think that was more about 3?)

*edit while i'm all over the place anyway: The Last of Us would make no sense to me either since we have The Road etc where it kinda came from, likewise with say Uncharted - the game's cinematic enough as it is, i kinda feel like telling people just to go watch Indiana Jones or something