Hondo's Bar

The Jimquisition

Keth

So recently I've become a huge fan of Jim Sterling and The Jimquisition in particular. I don't always agree with him, but he has a way of making you like him regardless, and even then I tend to agree more often than not. Here are some gems

There's a great story here about his feud with Digital Homicide.

And his latest

i honestly didn't pay as much attention to sterling when he was with desctructoid, thought he was mostly just trolling (the Heavy Rain vs Deadly Premonition bit, etc) but he really caught me eye when the XBONE was looking to go digital-only early on & several hacks (like Kuchera, etc) lined up to tell consumers why they should suck it down & make peace with it...Jim was one of the ones at the forefront saying that system was bullshit, and exactly why. I really came around to him & have checked out his stuff since...he's actually insightful/useful, unlike say totalbiscuit.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Jim basically says exactly what I already have about the game, and expands on Squeenix's promises on the game in the future. Pretty much echoes my thoughts on the whole thing. Mild FFXV spoilers, but nothing that you probably don't already know about.

Edited by Axels

• 4 weeks later...

yeah, he makes some solid points here - every other venue does do compliations, cause most only want retro games as he says - a burst of short disposable revisits. the drip-feed is some nonsense i remember hearing jack tretton say about PSN for PS3, regarding PSX titles - he didn't want to "flood the marketplace" and force the indies on there to compete with them...so instead, we had an even worse drought than was needed.

he's not wrong about pricing & such too (i think a one-size-fits-all works well with ebooks, music etc but that's a much bigger story) but the real tragedy is that the Wii's VC was hands-down the best such catalog out there, they had lots of improts and great titles for systems usually slept on: Neo Geo, Turbografx-16, etc - it was a fantastic way to legally check out such libraries. what sucks is how they must've structured those licensing agreements, because the vast majority of that was gone for the WU & 3DS.

i know you (nemo) & others have been down on the colors/etc but having played a ton of poorly emulated collections (backbone's handling of sega's stuff comes to mind), nintendo's efforts are actually pretty high quality with stuff like input lag & such....but the way they get these things running on odd choices for hardware is baffling: i have a dozen or so ambassador GBA titles for my 3DS, you can't put em in sleep mode but they play great. why aren't there more of these, why are GBA games instead on WU? why is only the new 3DS powerful enough to run SNES games? ugh.

here's to hoping they step things up with a proper account system for the switch, but i'm gonna stick to OG hardware - no compromises, no losing games to hardware or license changes.

Yeah - the video quality was exclusively crap w/ the original NES library - but, the other systems (emulated SNES, GBA - look great!) My bigger issue is the utter lack of milking the cow! Nintendo has hands-down the hottest most classic-est 'ol skoo' library out there - I don't what kinda licensing issues they hafta wrestle w/ - but it's just an utter...utter infuriating missed opportunity. I just don't get the logic. It's like - forcing 'willing to game legit' gamers to just google n' download the shit. I thought they loved money.

I still got stuff sitting on the Wii-side of my Wii U that never got 'ported over' to the 1080p side: Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Secret of Mana...where's FFVI?!

I bought Konami's OG TMNT way back on Wii - that got wiped altogether from the E-Shop...I couldn't even do a System Transer w/ that one. They could've had a bonanza goin' on - w/ a smart strategy. Invest in the damn license - people would've paid. Ducktales, Bionic Commando, Batman, Turtles in Time...I really could go on. What. the. fuck.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

skimmed, but:

- breakable weapons are fine/balanced here, thought i get not everyone digs that. i hate guns with limited ammo too

- sliding down mountains when it rains always feels like bullshit, yeah

- his site got DDOS'd? holy shit that's crap, not many people deserve that but jim's definitely not one of em

- he's not wrong, i think 7/10 is a good score too, but on a full 1-10 scale

- people who use SJW as pejoratives are also likewise shitty

• Upvote 1