Hondo's Bar

The Mist (TV Series)

Keth

The MIst to be turned into a series

Following the success of “Scream the Series” on MTV, Dimension Television announced today that they are bringing The Mist, based on the classic Stephen King novella and film by Frank Darabont, to television. Stephen King has given his blessing to the project, which is a continuing series from acclaimed writer Christian Torpe. Torpe created the successful show “RITA” in Denmark, now finishing its fourth season, and has developed programming for both Showtime and AMC.

Using the book and movie as influences, the series tells an original story about a seemingly innocuous mist that seeps into a small town but contains limitless havoc. From psychological terrors to otherworldly creatures, the mist causes the town residents’ darkest demons to appear forcing them to battle the supernatural event and, more importantly, each other.

“The terror and drama in Stephen King’s novella are so vast that we felt serialized television is the best place to explore them in greater depth,” said Bob Weinstein, co-chairman The Weinstein Company and Dimension Films. “With this show, Christian has created a fascinating band of characters and a story with infinite scares.”

Frank Darabont’s fillm adaptation was released in 2007 and grossed just $57 million, but went on to achieve critical acclaim. The original novella by King has also provided the inspiration for some high profile video games including Silent Hill and Half-Life.

I don't know, I haven't read the novella, but the movie was pretty perfect to me. I rewatched it a few weeks ago, and just everyone meshes so well. This seems ripe for an anthology type thing though where we could see different stories (I'd love to see The Walking Dead go this route also). I dunno, still might be cool though.

• 1 year later...

My biggest worry here is that they aren't going to have any monsters at all. Or we get small glimpses and no money shots, and that the monsters were just hallucinations cause by the mist.

My biggest hope though, is that we get an up close look at Project Arrowhead with a sequence with the opening to the other dimension (or wherever it came from).