Hondo's Bar

Four in February

C_U_SPACECOWBOY

I know we used to have a thread for this, but for the life of me I couldn't find it (likely lost in the most recent purge).

Anyway, there was a challenge started back in 2013 by writers at Joystiq (rest in peace) to take the typically sparse release window of February to make efforts to tackle our ever growing backlogs. Basically, take 4 titles in your backlog and put them to bed. There are no real rules other than that, you don't necessarily have to had STARTED and FINISHED the game, you don't need to 100% it, just hit those ending credits within the month. PLUS we get an extra day this year, so no excuses.

I typically try for a theme with my entries, in 2014 I managed to complete the 'Dead' challenge with

1) Walking Dead (Season 1)

2) Dead Space 2

3) Deadlight

4) Deadpool

However, in 2015, I tried for 'Shadow' games and only managed to finish Shadow of Mordor, with all the others remaining unfinished to this day (I think having a wife who was 8 months pregnant last February seriously cramped my efforts, #BackwardsPriorities).

1) Shadow of Mordor

2) Killzone: Shadowfall

3) Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth

4) Shadow of the Collosus HD

I'm got another theme ('Last' games) but I'm not sure I can commit to that (The Last Story along would probably take all my gaming time for the month). Maybe puzzle games? I've got Talos Principle, The Swapper and The Witness. Does a week old game qualify as part of my backlog yet? Anyway, anyone else down to take the challenge and make a dent (however tiny) in their backlog, share your efforts/intents here!

damn, props for taking this on with what little time y our new family affords you man, haha

my backlog's in my sig, i'm currently on Shining: the Holy Ark but should tie it up in the next few days, after that i'm thinking i'll get further in EDF, and a shorter Saturn title like Burning Rangers or something. i wanna jump into Shining Force III once Ark is done (trying to run through the series this year!) but my chances of finishing that in the short month don't feel great, so maybe 2 short games?

either way, i'm down! got 2 larger games done in january, so i'm off to a fine start

This would be a useful thing for me to do with movies/tv shows/books/comic books (at first I typed "boobs" instead of books and I'm almost sorry I caught it). Maybe I'll start a thread for those things. I wish I had a backlog of video games to play. I HATE that I get severe motion sickness from all 3D games. Then again, Nick did just get an NES Everdrive for his birthday so maybe he can help me find 2D games to play! *nudge*

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wosh I could accomplish this. My gamin ADD has been pretty bad lately. I think I can throw Destiny in here thpugh. At least I finished the main story... What there was of it at least.

Was also giving Dragons Dogma an ho est go... almost 40 hours in and I dont think Im even halfway. Twilight Princess HD is next month, and Im going to have to finish it since I didnt the first go around. But thats a different month.

Too many games, tooooo many games!

Due to a combination of time constraints and having to travel a lot this month, I decided to give my Vita some much deserved attention and bang out four titles from that backlog. After finishing The Swapper earlier this month, I also decided to go with a puzzle-platformer theme:

The Swapper

Thomas was alone

Stick it to the man

Murasaki Baby

Wow, anyone who's a fan of Tim Schafer's earlier work needs to check out Stick it to the man, ASAP. It has a very Pyschonauts vibe (in aesthetic/ subject matter) and is a weird hybrid of a stealth platformer with the 'Use a thing with another thing' gameplay of the classic point and click's of yore.

The Swapper

Thomas was alone

Stick it to the man

Murasaki Baby

Finished Murasaki Baby tonight to round out my Four games this month. Murasaki Baby was a Tim Burton-esque puzzle platformer by Massimo Guarini, the director of the woefully unappreciated Shadows of the Damned. Apparently, he left Grasshopper Manufacturer to open his own studio and this was their first project. It was a neat little game that made some creative use of the Vita's various inputs. Could of been a bit longer, but at least it didn't overstay it's welcome. Oh and Guarini brought along the always excellent Akira Yamaoka for a couple of tracks on this too.

Edited by C_U_SPACECOWBOY

DONE

Shining: The Holy Ark

Earth Defense Force 4.1

Albert Odyssey

Burning Rangers

woo hoo, i finally did it! kinda came down to the wire (barely beat BR, fuck that last stage) & i didn't even need the leap year day! gotta say, it feels good to chop my backlog down to 35, and mostly with RPG's no less..i was at the tail end of Albert when i dropped it, but there was still some challenging stuff left.

kinda digging this momentum, not sure if i wanna start Magic Knight Rayearth on saturn or go back & tie up some PSX RPG's - i was pretty far in Grandia & Arc the Lad, it'd be nice to tie those up! kinda leaning towards the latter before starting something new, god knows i should get on with the first scenario of Shining Force III if i want that saga done this year too, haha. anyway, thanks for the inspiration, space cowboy!

*BONUS - just finally saw the end of Panic! on Sega-CD, haha...should've done that years ago, totally gonna explore that game more next time im :lush: too...welp, only 32 games left to go!

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

aw man, i hope you're thinking of doing some short games!  

i'm down to 6 games in mine right now, and i don't think there's much left for Dragon Force.  if i do that, Clock Tower and power through Soul Hackers, i'd just have to figure out one more short game to replay...i think i'm down!