Hondo's Bar

Cloak and Dagger

14 minutes ago, Da Cap'n 2099 said:

First season of Dexter was very Miami, but that's it. Immediately you could see the change by the palm trees. Fat and bushy? Miami. Tall and skinny? Cali. Also, when one of the characters refers to Brickell as "Brick-El." It's pronounced "Brickol," brah. Oh, and it got really eye-rollingly bad when every gang member was a Mexican Cholo. Those don't exist in Miami! But the worst and most egregious error was once when Dex and Miguel where at the beach... there was mountains in the background. Mountains. Ugh.

Also, no one once ever honked a horn incessantly at a traffic light on Dexter. Nor did a server once ever speak Spanish when taking a food order. I don't recall the mountainous beach scene, but that's pretty bad. It reminds me of Jackie Chan's Rumble in the Bronx where they had wide shots of "NYC" with mountains in the back ground.  smh

But back to Cloak & Dagger--if a character doesn't mention the Saints and/or use the word "y'all" unironically in a legit accent by episode 5 I might cry.  Example, "Y'all heard about dem Saints?"

(Guarantee someone mentions gumbo twice by episode five though. smh)

Ok, so I finished the first 2 eps last night. 

...damn. I am loving this show. I totally get Don's feel about it being a little slow, but I feel like this is a really good character piece. I chatted about with my gf last night and she thinks if it doesn't do well it could easily be picked up by hulu and crossed over with the runaways. 

Slow I can handle as long it’s interesting! This was just straight up boring and I didn’t feel it added much to their storylines or character development (Tyrone, maybe, but we didn’t need damn near an hour of that stuff). It ended somewhere much more interesting so I’ll give it one more episode to draw me back in. 

37 minutes ago, Da Cap'n 2099 said:

These are two pretty obscure characters in the Marvel lexicon. The fact that this show even exists is fucking insane. Marvel is scraping the bottom of the barrel for stories and, meanwhile, DC can't get Superman right.

Was this an unrelated observation or do you think we should excuse boring writing because the characters are obscure and we’re lucky to be seeing them at all?

I’m still hoping it improves because there’s so much that could be done with this if the writing gets better!

I don't think it's boring at all. And I agree with Bindy. It's slower, but character heavy. At least for the two mains.

What I'm trying to say is they're taking major liberties with their origins because they're obscure. It doesn't feel like a comic adaption, but kinda also does. It's interesting. I thought I wasn't gonna like, but I am so far.

And while I don't think it's better than Runaways yet, I do see more mature themes. It feels like a nice balance between Hulu's Runaways and the Netflix shows (leaning more towards Hulu). And, again, I didn't think I was gonna like it and kept my expectations low. Maybe it's because it's on Freeform. I've never watched their programming and, I guess, assumed it'd be girly.

Edited by Da Cap'n 2099

On 6/17/2018 at 1:22 PM, Da Cap'n 2099 said:

And where are all the fleur-de-lis? When I lived in New Orleans every. Surface. Of. Every. Thing. Had a fleur on it. Cars, homes, businesses, billboards, people.

This is very, very true.  You know that a legit wedding like that in episode two would've have fleur-de-lis all over the place. 

I'm surprisingly not finding the pace that slow at all. I'm hooked on these characters and their motivations. I like how they're not just automatically a couple, each has someone else in their lives romantically, and T&T are slowly growing together. Looks like episode four is gonna be the first one in which the two main characters are going to have a real conversation with each other yet I'm not mad because it feels organic. Even the two dream sequences in S1E3 tied back nicely into plot points. And I usually fucking hate dream sequences in TV/film. This show definitely has a solid writing staff.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

i thought a lot of ep 2 was padding, which comes with network TV & all but it dropped off some of the first episode's momentum.  3 was thankfully better, though the contrived alternate realities/what-could-have-been visions seem like they could be a bit confusing for people not familiar with these characters' powersets, aka pretty much everybody.  they were pretty overt to the end of this ep but at least they did what they needed to by showing motivations & forcing the team together.  

how long is the season?  gotta wonder if and when they're gonna start building up roxxon execs or some bigger baddie than evilgingercop

@The NZA S1 is 10 episodes.

S1E4

Four episodes in and we get an origin for the cloak. A pretty great origin, too. And one very distinctly tied to the setting and culture in New Orleans and SE Louisiana. 

Fucking Roxxon! The one good lawyer in the city and they murk his ass. I also was left wondering if that jump was true suicide attempt or just Tandy testing her ability to manifest a dagger? I'm leaning more towards the latter, but it's tough to say 100%.

*EDIT*

Video below confirms it was her trying to summon a dagger.

Nerdist apparently is doing an after show for each episode. I skimmed over this one as it has the show's creator (who worked on Heroes and DD). I also finally went to IMDB and realized where I recognize the actor who plays Tyrone from--he had a roll on the outstanding HBO miniseres "The Night Of."

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
video link

• 3 weeks later...