Hondo's Bar

Cloak and Dagger

Live-Action CLOAK AND DAGGER TV Series Coming To ABC's Freeform Network

136170.jpg

Nope, this isn't John Ridley's mystery Marvel series! Instead, ABC has given the green light to a Cloak and Dagger TV series on Freeform, a network which usually creates content for a younger audience...

Rogue%20One%2010.png

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is about to get even bigger with the addition of Marvel's Cloak and Dagger, a new live-action seres which has been given the green light and a straight to series order by ABC. The show will air on Freeform (the home of Shadowhunters), the network which was previously known as ABC Family before being rebranded to bring in younger viewers. This superhero love story - that's how it's described by Variety - will revolve around Tandy Bowen and Tyrone Johnson, and the official synopsis for the series states that:

"The live-action interracial romance follows the duo, two teenagers from very different backgrounds, who find themselves burdened and awakened to newly acquired superpowers while falling in love — Tandy can emit light daggers and Tyrone has the ability to engulf others in darkness. They quickly learn they are better together than apart, but their feelings for each other make their already complicated world even more challenging."

Cloak and Dagger doesn't have a writer or cast just yet, but the hunt for the titular heroes is currently underway. It sounds like the plan for this one is to bring in the Young Adult audience, so chances are that it won't be to everyone's tastes! Still, there's plenty to choose from in terms of Marvel content on ABC as they also have Marvel's Most Wanted in the works along with John Ridley's mystery series and the currently on the air Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Agent Carter. Do you have any interest in a series revolving around Cloak and Dagger? As always, let us know your thoughts in the usual place.

Edited by alive she cried

yeah, that's a pretty fair assessment - i think they're a good fit because of that, the same way Deathlok was: many comic fans are aware of them & they kinda look cool, but no one's really gonna fuss when shows use them in a way that works, as long as it's interesting.

6KfBHEe.jpg

wiki catchup for those less familiar with the property:

Tyrone "Ty" Johnson (Cloak) and Tandy Bowen (Dagger) met in New York City as runaways. Tyrone was a 17-year-old boy from Boston, Massachusetts with a debilitating stutter and ran away to New York City when his speech impediment prevented him from stopping his friend from being shot by police, who mistakenly believed he had just robbed a store. Tandy was a 16-year-old girl from a privileged upbringing (born in Shaker Heights, Ohio) who ran away because her multi-millionaire supermodel mother was too busy with her career and social life to spend time with her daughter. When they met, Tyrone considered stealing Tandy's purse, but before he could a thief stole the purse and Tyrone retrieved it for her. Afterwards, they had dinner and became fast friends. When naïve Tandy accepted an offer of shelter from some strange men, wary Tyrone went along to protect her. The two teens were soon forcibly delivered to criminal chemist Simon Marshall developing a new synthetic heroin for Silvermane and the Maggia, testing it on runaway teens with fatal results. Johnson and Bowen somehow survived injections of the drug, and they fled. During their escape, the drug turned them into superpowered beings (this is later retconned that they were both actually mutants and that the drug had simply awakened their latent abilities). Tyrone found himself engulfed in darkness and seized by a strange hunger which eased in the presence of Tandy glowing with a brilliant light. Trying to hide his newly shadowy appearance in a makeshift cloak, Tyrone began absorbing Marshall's thugs into his darkness while Tandy struck them down with daggers of light. The two teens dubbed themselves "Cloak & Dagger" and declared war on drug crime in combating drug-dealers and helping runaway children.

3965044-anultmts2014009-214e9.jpg

• 9 months later...

i8y0D3F.png

Cloak and Dagger Pilot gets a director and leads

First a director for the pilot has been announced, Gina Prince-Bythewood. Price-Bythewood has a long string of successful films, usually aimed at the African American audience, under her belt, beginning with 2000′s ‘Love & Basketball’ and also including ‘The Secret Life of Bees’ and ‘Beyond The Lights’. With her husband Reggie Rock Bythewood, she co-created the upcoming FOX event series ‘Shots Fired’ starring Sanaa Lathan, Stephen James, Helen Hunt, Richard Dreyfus and Stephen Moyer.

Cloak & Dagger”s showrunner is Joe Pokaski formerly of ‘Daredevil’ and ’Heroes’. In addition to having already worked on one Marvel series, ‘Daredevil’, this project reportedly reunites him with one of the stars of ‘Heroes’ and ‘Heroes Reborn’, Noah Gray-Cabey, who played Ali Larter’s son Micah Sanders. Gray-Cabey is all grown up now and has continued to work, most recently on the series ‘Code Black’.

Gray-Cabey has reportedly been cast to play Tyrone “Ty” Johnson a.k.a. Cloak, who commands the powers of darkness, which also allows him to teleport.

Also reportedly cast is Debby Ryan a former Disney kid, who had roles on ‘The Wizards of Waverly Place’, ‘Hannah Montana’, ‘The Suite Life On Deck’, ‘Austin and Ally’, ‘Girl Meets World’ and ‘Jesse’ as well as the TV movies ’16 Wishes’ and ‘The Suite Life Movie’.

• 2 months later...

source

Freeform has announced that its TV series based on the Marvel Comics title “Cloak & Dagger” is officially a go with the series receiving a ten episode first season order following the pilot wrapping production recently. The budget for the series will reportedly match Marvel’s Netflix shows.

In other TV news, Disney Channel has ordered a spinoff of its long running series “That’s So Raven”. Titled “Raven’s Home,” the multi-camera comedy is scheduled to go into production this month in Los Angeles for a 2017 premiere.

Raven-Symone and Anneliese van der Pol will reprise their roles from the original series, both now divorced single mothers raising two separate families in one chaotic household just as one of Raven’s kids starts showing signs of being able to glimpse the future.

HMja7es.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I had zero interest in Cloak & Dagger based on the trailer and my minimal exposure to the characters in comics as guest appearances in story arcs for other Marvel titles I read. However, Jax messaged me a week ago asking if I was watching the show. I told him no, and he mentioned it was set in New Orleans and that I should watch it. He also wanted to know how "authentic" it felt in terms of the setting in New Orleans. Well, sadly, the show feels about as New Orleans as clam chowder. It's absolutely filmed there, but nothing from the dialogue, characters, or plot feel the least bit New Orleans.

That being said--it was a pretty damn good show. I've seen the first two episodes on Hulu and the cast & writing is solid. Roxxon as the "big bad" is a great Marvel tie-in and the two main characters have good chemistry. I honestly can't recall the origins from the comic, but they're given a solid connection/origin story in the pilot episode. The only other complaint I have is that the pop song mood music is laid on a little too thick. All in all, I was very pleasantly surprised by this show and will continue to watch.

• Upvote 1

damn, forgot this had finally started! that sounds good though, watching soon - i honestly didn't think their origins would be too terribly like the book (and god knows tandys costumes boob window thing can stay in the 80s) but glad they're making it work

also dexter really made me assume anything based in a non NY city (and often even then) isn't usually gonna bother getting things right sadly 

So, about one hour and 10 mins into the series they've made two references to Boston:

"Townie Bitch" and Larry Bird.

They film in New Orleans, but, I'm assuming, the setting is Boston.

EDIT: A quick Wiki search and comic Ty (Cloak) is originally from Boston (I should've and probably knew that) so there ya go.

Also, the show is pretty damn engaging so far.

Haha! EDIT #2: Ok, they are in New Orleans. Haha! The writer must be from Boston tho.

Edited by Da Cap'n 2099
  • Haha 1

On 6/13/2018 at 3:01 PM, The NZA said:

damn, forgot this had finally started! that sounds good though, watching soon - i honestly didn't think their origins would be too terribly like the book (and god knows tandys costumes boob window thing can stay in the 80s) but glad they're making it work

also dexter really made me assume anything based in a non NY city (and often even then) isn't usually gonna bother getting things right sadly 

HA! Funny you should mention that because today I was talking to someone about my second visit to Miami and how Dexter was all lies. 

S1E3 of Cloak & Dagger did feel a bit more legit NOLA though. Zero people were called a "townie," so that's a plus right there. 

First season of Dexter was very Miami, but that's it. Immediately you could see the change by the palm trees. Fat and bushy? Miami. Tall and skinny? Cali. Also, when one of the characters refers to Brickell as "Brick-El." It's pronounced "Brickol," brah. Oh, and it got really eye-rollingly bad when every gang member was a Mexican Cholo. Those don't exist in Miami! But the worst and most egregious error was once when Dex and Miguel where at the beach... there was mountains in the background. Mountains. Ugh.

• Haha 1