Hondo's Bar

1*u0fHEnWkxt7CAFmL6Td1cw.gif

The one-hour drama series WESTWORLD (ten episodes) is a dark odyssey about the dawn of artificial consciousness and the evolution of sin. Set at the intersection of the near future and the reimagined past, it explores a world in which every human appetite, no matter how noble or depraved, can be indulged.

The cast includes Anthony Hopkins, Ed Harris, Evan Rachel Wood, James Marsden, Thandie Newton, Jeffrey Wright, ...Luke Hemsworth and Clifton Collins, Jr.

Inspired by the motion picture “Westworld,” written and directed by Michael Crichton. Production companies, Bad Robot Productions...

The Crichton movie was one of those films I remember seeing randomly on the TV as a kid and just being completely engrossed by it. I haven't rewatched it since, but I am excited to see how this series. And I love me some Thandie Newton and Anthony Hopkins. Ed Harris in the Yul Brynner role should be interesting, too.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

• 3 months later...

Seems like the Nolans and HBO hope this series will be the next Game of Thrones.

The Dark Knight[/i] writer also gave a tease about what future Westworld seasons would look like – or rather, wouldn’t look like. “We didn’t want to have a story that repeated itself [each year],” he says. “We didn’t want the Fantasy Island version of this [where new guests arrive at the park every season]. We wanted a big story. We wanted the story of the origin of a new species and how that would play out in its complexity.”]

Sounds more like the next Battlestar Galactica though. I could be okay with that. And Hopkins' character seems pretty damned interesting from this trailer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm only one episode behind and still loving the show. It is a slow mover, axels, so be patient. It has some really great twists in there and consistently solid writing. Anthony Hopkins' Ford remains the most interesting character and performance in a show full of great performances. And the fact Thandie Newton is nekkid in pretty much every episode she appears in don't hurt none neither. She has still got it. All of it.

I guess you could call her Thandie Nude-a-ton in this series.

Nza's inevitable Big Pun-hater neg was worth it.

Also, anyone reading the fan theories about the Man in Black? There are some interesting ones out there.

Most interesting is the alternate timeline theory, but that doesn't seem really plausible. I saw a youtube vid a few weeks back that refuted it prett well. Still, it would've been a great twist.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

One more til the season finale. I gotta say, while I'm loving the show, I'm finding it hard to get passed some plot points. Like how time passes in the park, the stories guests are on and how deaths of hosts affect that if they are just rebuilt each day. Little things that are bugging me. Still, there are some great twists. Kinda slow in the middle, but never boring.

One more til the season finale. I gotta say, while I'm loving the show, I'm finding it hard to get passed some plot points. Like how time passes in the park, the stories guests are on and how deaths of hosts affect that if they are just rebuilt each day. Little things that are bugging me. Still, there are some great twists. Kinda slow in the middle, but never boring.

The season one finale is tonight, so some of your concerns above should (hopefully) be addressed. I've been skimming fan theories on youtube and on another board, so it'll be interesting to see what is revealed in the finale and what theories are confirmed.

That theory about the Man in Black I spoiler tagged in my las post was was pretty much confirmed in s1e9. Dolores is the key...

It seems like she is the bridge between three timelines going on in the show according to fan theory. I'm pretty certain there are two time lines going on. The third is mostly just Dolores' "memories." And it becomes fuzzy where she is in each for me at times.

1. Present:

*Man in Black's search for the maze.

*Ford's new narrative with Wyatt (who is likely Dolores). Bernard killing Theresa and that Elsie the sleuthy programmer who chased the crazy host who bashed his head in.

*Maeve's "awakening" from the Matrix. (This one I'm Like 75% sure is same timeline as MiB.)

2. 30 years prior to present

* William and Logan arrive in Westworld.

* William meets and falls in love w/ Dolores.

* William and Dolores meet Lawrence and get on the dynamite train, abandon Logan, Logan reappears leading crazy Confederales, William sees Dolores is a robot after Logan slits her open and exposes her gears, William freaks out and kills all the hosts in their camp, and the Man in Black is born.

3. Before the park is opened/before William and Logan show up at Westworld

* Dolores' memories of "home" with the church--likely where hosts were first trained "in the field"

* Teddy and Dolores' memories of "Wyatt" massacring an entire town--which was likely Dolores malfunctioning and also led to...

* Arnold's death, somehow at the hands of Dolores. (Although this malfunction/accident may just be a story Ford created to cover up his murder of Arnold. The S1 finale will hopefully reveal the real circumstances of Arnold's death.)

* Dolores' conversations with Bernard alone in the diagnostic room while sitting in chairs--ths is likely her talking with the real Arnold and not host Bernard.

That felt like the last episode of a 5 season stretch. We really don't need a second season...

Nah, fam. Shit's just getting started...

Fucking Shogun World??!?

Some of the reveals were really telegraphed like Ford's death, the Delos board's death, William = Man in Black, Maeve being in an elaborate loop. Dolores=Wyatt, etc. However, it's still really well done drama.

Ford's big new. and final, narrative was brilliant though--a narrative for the hosts. Since Maeve appears to be in a loop, I'm wondering if the security guards were hosts or real people...

Yeah Maeve's story seemed to be the biggest loose thread. Interested to see where that's going for sure.

If you had told me that Liam McPoyle looked like a young Ed Harris before I started this show I would have called you a lunatic. Surprisingly good casting and acting there.

So I was watching a season recap vid on youtube by NewRockstars and it reminded me of something I forgot about Ford...

When he revealed to Bernard that Bernie was a host there was a new host body being constructed in Ford's super secret lab. I say Ford returns next season in a new host body that was uloaded w/ his consciousness. Dolores finding the center of the maze was all he was waiting for to enact his final narrative, which involved him as leader of the next stage of humanity. Ford is all about power. If he comes back as a host there is no way he still won't be in control of them.

Of course it could've been a host of Ford that Dolores sht in the first place, but that would mean all that shit Ford said about hosts being the next step in evolution was, well, bullshit. And I don't buy that. I think his big plan is to make the entire world like Westworld--Planet of the Hosts, with Ford as Caesar.

• 1 month later...

so, donny & i just finished S01E08

the lead-ins to the Bernard reveal were right there, and it moves quick enough that when the obvious "I don't see any door" right after you hear why that'd happen....damn. delivery was great here, felt very Battlestar Galactica like.

we were both kinda feeling like it's interesting (fuck, it's existential shit in a western setting, i could be here all day) but weren't hooked, then that changed a few eps back and now i can't wait to tie the season up.

NZA and I just wrapped up the season. It was a slow burn but ended STRONG. It was tough for me at first because I felt HBO hadn't gotten over their fetish for violence (sexual and otherwise) against women for no valid reason. I remember saying to Nick during episode one that they'd better start doing something more interesting with the women or I was out. Also the nudity seemed very unbalanced at first (boobs galore and only naked elderly men).

I'm glad I stuck it out, though.

I lost my shit when Dolores FINALLY says "I imagined a story where I don't have to be the damsel." I was hooked from that point and it was pretty damn satisfying.

I didn't really like Maeve going back for her daughter but NZA had a good point when he said her storyline wouldn't work too well in the real world, so I guess we had to have something to bring her back in. I know they kept flashing back to her daughter... but she never expressed much interest in finding her till homeboy hands her a paper five minutes from freedom? Eh. Seemed kinda contrived.

Also, what the hell happened to Elsie and the Matt Damon lookalike who went to find her and then was attacked by the Ghost Nation?! We see Bernard choking her but never see her dead body the way we did with Tess. We also don't see the Ghostie guys kill not-Matt-Damon either. Did I miss something or was that just a dangling plot line? It wasn't addressed at all in the finale.

Edited by Donatella

^i wanna know that stuff too! damn, and here i thought we'd have a season 2 waiting on us when we finished, haha

also "house of the rising sun" cover on piano was just-shy-of-too-on-the-nose and i really dug it

how the hell does season 2 work? that one board member gal gets away or something? the dinos took over the park!

kinda wonder if we see ed harris make it, or come back as a replicant or something...seeing how happy he looked right before the onslaught was something too

Y'all caught the other pop songs on the piano right?

Paint it Black shootout was amazing and there was a Black Hole Sun cover too I think. Didnt catch more, but wouldnt be surprised if there was some.

I still had a hard time connecting with the characters (i.e. robots), but this is more a show about the ideas rather than the characters I think. Season 2 not coming til 2018 is shitty as hell though.

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...