Hondo's Bar

Sonic Mania

Newtype

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/16/2018 at 9:25 PM, Newtype said:

Heyyy! It's Nathan Barnatt, what a goofy mofo, but I love him.

Picked up Plus for the Switch the other day, and I CAN NOT PUT IT DOWN. IT'S AMAZING. I FEEL LIKE I'M A KID AGAIN.

Love it. And the reversible cover art. O M GAH. So in love.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally got to check this out the other night courtesy of sexyhat, bloody unreal nostalgia trip!  There's familiar content but new challenges.  If I were an optimist I'd submit this is what every reboot/ .5 sequel should aim to be! 

Also worth noting: Scott imported the JP & US versions in addition to buying the AU for the variant Genesis covers.  JP is crazy cool.

Edited by Jables
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Alright - I 'beat' this thing.

KINDA - worth the wait?  It's Sonic the Hedgehog - back when it was fun.  Nooo - tryin' to reinvent the wheel, here.  SOLID Classic Sonic - and that's all anyone could hope for.

[/spoiler]

Great graphics, great music, great...level design.

I was severely disappointed w/ the Bonus Stages...and by Stages - I mean, the ONE Stage.  LOL - I just stopped jumping into the sparkly-rings that appear over checkpoints when you have enough Rings...just not fun.  I did SEVERAL - but, like, 9 /10 times - I'd fail.  It eventually became a disappointing annoyance I'd chose to ignore - seeing the same, lame, frustrating Bonus Stage...my brain was like, 'All this attention to detail - and obvious labor of love...and this was 'THE BEST' Bonus Stage choice / creative decision on how to handle Bonus Stages?

Sonic 2's tunnel run was great - I'd even take the Pinball one from Sonic 1 - hell, I'd accept having to deal w/ THIS Bonus Stage if it was like, on a rotation - y'know?  Like - several types of BONUS Stages are available - but, ya don't know which BONUS Stage you gonna get.  This was a giant misstep for me.  Replay could've been super-awesome.

Another issue I have is collecting Chaos Emeralds.  Post-game, that's wutz ur gonna b shootin' fer - BUT, there are MORE Levels than Chaos Emeralds...the Level-Select doesn't tell you which stages you've collected an Emerald in - OR if an Emerald is even IN a particular Stage.

I'm the '100% Complete' gamer - this issue is prolly unique to a minority - but, I'm that type...so this shit bugs me.  

I'm eventually gonna go for all the Chaos Emeralds - but, I dread having to replay stages, collecting rings and crossing my fingers hoping an Emerald is in that particular stage.  WORSE - is if too much time has passed - and I don't remember which stages I already collected Chaos Emeralds in!

Having to contend w/ that horrid default BONUS STAGE...going for 100%  (sigh)  Not exactly incentivizing replay.  LOL - just on my first playthrough - I'd already grown to hate this...

Sonic-Mania-Bonus-Stages-Guide-main_0.jp

^ not JUST because of outright not-fun challenge / difficulty - but, what a missed opportunity for bad-ass, unique, rewarding, fun BONUS Stages (plural).  The only alt. BONUS Stage I encountered was when I obviously hit a Chaos Emerald...the rest of the 'BONUS' experience was - 'this again - really?' and 'Oh, look - I boxed myself in...'  I just stopped doin' 'em.

Overall, great stage design - w/ sum cruel, uneven difficulty spikes w/ bosses - and the last Level was fuckin' BRUTAL.  Had to leave it alone for a few hours - totally killed the fun-momentum for me.  LOL - that last level was just like, horribly unnecessary padding - for an otherwise fun-as-fuck stage-fest...w/ killer tune-age.

Overall - yeah, I'd say this is a required purchase for Sonic fans.  If you're the type to play games once and have no interest in ever going back to a game you've already 'beaten' - you'd prolly get more fun outta this - - I'm a completionist - so replay is fuckin' huge for me.  Sonic Mania could've been a 'I can't put it down' - but, it didn't get there for me - in the 'replay' dept.

I'm in the middle of Encore Mode...it's alright.  Switch-able characters is interesting.  I'm looking forward to a sequel.  I do want more of this stuff - but, it really needs sum fresh concepts...game design-wise.  (multiple Bonus Stages - maybe changing characters on the fly, a structured post-game...game)

Again, I am going for 100%, I wanna unlock everything - and have no intention on using the google for Emerald locations...and I knooow it's gonna hurt.

I'll be back w/ pics when this has been accomplished.

plan6.jpg

• Hmmm 1

i may be one of the only people who vastly prefers sonic 3s bonus stages to 2s halfpipe - fuck, I'd attach sonic & knuckles to sonic 1 in the day & hit buttons until the secret stages (like 99 more of those ones nemo hates haha) would show up 

vs 2s ones where it took me nearly decades to just stop playing with tails along to get the last ones without a competent 2nd player 

LOL - it got to the point where I'd actually stop...remove a hand from the controller - so that I could actually flip off the sparkly-circle.  I'd hit it w/ an audible 'Fuuuuck yoooou' - and then speed off.  My luck - Mania is bolted w/ THE Bonus Stage I hate.  LOL - fuck...

But - yeah, Bonus Stages on a rotation would've been awesome!  Maybe - each Act could have it's own type of Bonus Stage?  I sooo prefer the half pipes - (you should seriously see a doctor) - and the kinda ones, that you're running - chasing after something...like when you're going for a Chaos Emerald.

sonicmaniaspecial.jpg?w=618

latest?cb=20170724184705

I like how Plus added these cool kinda mini-games...

20180713_043126_thumb.jpg

^ This kinda variety would've been great.  I really lamented the dropping of the "potential-ball" when it concerned Bonus Stages.  Not a deal-breaker, in the least - BUT I feel it - as go for 100%  (Looks over at Pro Controller...still charging)

You have any interest in going for Chaos Emeralds?

Has anybody gotten 'em all?  I'd bet the majority of people just youtube'd the true ending / Chaos Emerald locations and saved themselves the grief.  Pro Tip (at no charge):  You're doing it wrong.

If they re-work the Bonus Stage concept (get imaginative - make it actually feel rewarding you got enough Rings to activate the sparkly-circle-thingie...and even more rewarding for completing the mini level-reprieve) and really encouraged post-game stuff (scouring / replaying levels for alternate routes and make Emerald-hunting just feel...obligatory...in a fun-sense) - Sonic Mania 2 could really be something special and something you don't wanna put down...even after 'beating it'.

Sonic-Mania-Bonus-Stage-Xbox-One-screens

Sonic-Mania-Bonus-Stages-Guide-main_0.jp

tenor.gif?itemid=7202680

[/spoiler]

I still haven't figured out spoilers...

• Like 1

i haven't yet! I'd finished it originally on switch & am gonna go back in for plus on ps4 and get em all there. 

man i loved sonic cd in the day but never really fell for their bonus stages, so having the emeralds hidden there kills me (as opposed to the sonic 3 ones you hate that i shine at, haha - but they're just for extras so yeah, you can bypass em entirely!)

I need the extras!  I'm wrapping up Encore Mode.

'Encore Mode' IS essentially THE Sonic Mania 'Plus'.

It's basically Sonic Mania's 'Master Quest'.  It is it's own thing - nothing carries over.  It's the whole 'base / initial' game - but w/ tweaked level designs...(to accommodate for the 'new characters' abilities - Mighty and Ray)...there are minor color / sprite differences...gotta re-collect all those Chaos Emeralds...

I don't know exactly what unlockables or extras you get for 100% Encore Mode - or even the base game...I know all Chaos Emeralds gets you the 'true ending'.  (I'm just getting into this thing...trying not to google until I have to...which is getting PRETTY DAMN CLOSE! - LOL!!!) - but, having to 100% Mania AND Encore...?  I don't know if - ugh...

sm4gfq5wiplx.gif

• Haha 1