Hondo's Bar

Runaways

I'm gonna preface this by saying I'm still very much enjoying the show and will likely not stop watching unless it falls off at some point. BUT, there is one storyline that I find troublesome and toxic. Gonna spoiler tag it since I guess it gives away story if you haven't read the comic or seen the show.

So I HATE HATE HATE when girls/women are pitted against each other in movies or on TV shows, for catty reasons. It perpetuates the notion that friendships between women are supposed to be toxic or competitive. It's highly anti-feminist and really irritating. It's especially troubling when it's teenage girls, on a show targeting a teen audience. This is not behavior we need to be normalizing.

So, I find it annoying when Gert makes snide comments about Karolina's beauty, or when they cut to Gert's scowling face every time Karolina interacts with Chase. Gert is portrayed as this woke teen girl who starts a school club to take down the patriarchy, yet she allows a boy to turn her friendship with Karolina toxic? It's upsetting. 

Nick's argument at first was "well they ARE teenage girls." But do teen girls naturally turn on each other or is it something they're taught in movies, on TV an in literature? I just really feel like we need to show more healthy female relationships. I get that characters need an arc, but this one is tired. Writers can do better.

And maybe it hits too close to home, but I do wish the shorter, curvier, brown girl considered herself beautiful as well. 

ALSO, (don't correct me if I'm wrong cuz I haven't read the comic and wanna be surprised either way), but I think Gert shouldn't worry about Karolina and Chase. If Karolina's weird lingering hug with Nico and her disappointment when she caught Nico kissing Alex are to be believed, I think Karolina might be a BIG OL'...

brdsmds.gif

• Haha 1

Heh.

Anyways, this is related, but not part of the show, but my sweet, loving, beautiful daughter which I love with all my heart is kind of a mean girl. I found this out the last time she was here. Talking shit about rival girls at school and STRAIGHT UP admitting that she wishes other girls (that like the boys she likes) harm. I was shocked. And hurt. And disappointed. And horrified.

I agree with Judy's assessment of the teen female dynamic on the show and the problematic nature of it, but kids act like this. I seent it.

3 hours ago, Da Cap'n 2099 said:

I agree with Judy's assessment of the teen female dynamic on the show and the problematic nature of it, but kids act like this. I seent it.

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that! That had to be super disappointing. I do hope she grows out of it. 

But yeah, my argument was never that teen girls aren't this way! I was one, I've taught them, they can be awful! Even more reason to show healthy female relationships, especially between teenage girls! Girls need better examples so they can act right. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished episode 7! So in response to Panch's spoiler tag before:

Spoiler

You know, I wasn't minding the parents' storylines or even a little backstory until this episode (some are more interesting than others, for sure). But yeah, this ep was WAY too much of them. Found myself starting to look at my phone a bit until the kids came back on screen. Still into it, though and it ended with a bang (ha!). So yeah...looking forward to next week!

But like...

Spoiler

When the fuck are they gonna RUN AWAY?!

• Haha 1

WILL the kids discuss their powers a bit more finally?!

WILL the software finish decrypting before more of them decide to let their murderous parents just live their lives?!

WILL they actually runaway before the season finale?!

WILL anyone remember the raptor downstairs?!

4ddb349345a6377085d8eb6a2ccd9d2d165d31fa

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, The NZA said:

episode 9: WE GOT OURSELVES A BALL GAME, FOLKS 

So much shit got real this episode! Season finale up next. If it finishes strong, I'm really gonna be sad to see it go!  Doesn't seem to be word yet on whether or not we'll get a season 2!

It'll be back.

Admittedly, this is just slightly better than Defenders.

(With the same storyline.)

To this point though, I've, at least, had more fun with it. Still, it's not perfect and I hope they can clean up some of these things in the next season.

All that said: I'm just happy this was adapted. Brian K. Vaughan, really, can do no wrong and should have all his stories made into live-action.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...