Hondo's Bar

Runaways

link

Hulu And Marvel Partner For Live-Action RUNAWAYS Series

144631.jpg

In a surprising development, Marvel has teamed with Netflix's streaming rival Hulu for a live-action adaptation of Brian K. Vaughan's Runaways series. Josh Schwartz & Stephanie Savage are producing.

BKV_Runaways_Hulu_Netflix_Marvel.jpg

Just a few days ago, Hulu announced that they would no longer support free streaming service and would be opting for a 100% paid-subscription model akin to their main competitor Netflix. Now, they'e taking another page from the Netflix playbook, partnering with Marvel TV for a live-action Runaways series that will be based on the run from Brian K. Vaughan and Adrian Alphona. Gossip Girl creators Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage are spearheading development.

Deadline describes the series as "a story of six diverse teenagers who can barely stand each other but who must unite against a common foe – their parents."

Shwartz stated, "I’m a long-time fan of Runaways and couldn’t be more excited to bring Brian and Adrian’s characters to life." Savage added, "Josh and I can’t wait to get to work for Marvel and Hulu." Head of Marvel TV Jeph Loeb also weighed in, "We’ve known the Runaways‘ story would make great television and being lucky enough to have Josh and Stephanie — who have time and again created shows that speak so genuinely to this exact audience — write and produce the series is nothing short of remarkable."

Deadline adds that Hulu and Marvel TV have been negotiating for almost a year. The mother of one of the Runaway members appears in the Doctor Strange prequel comic.

Runaways debuted in 2003 and followed the teenage children of an evil crime syndicate known as The Pride. The series lasted 18 issue but was cancelled in September 2004. However, the tpb collection of the series was a bestseller and Marvel resurrected the title in 2005 and published regular issues until 2009.

Marvel Studios had a film adaptation in development as early as 2008 but various factors kept the film from ever joining Marvel's slate of upcoming releases. Drew Pearce's work on the script is what led to Kevin Feige selecting him to write the screenplay for Iron Man 3.

• 5 months later...

Marvel Announces The Six Lead Stars Of Hulu's Upcoming RUNAWAYS TV Series

148634.jpg

Runaways was very nearly a movie, but now it's a TV series coming to streaming service Hulu. Hit the jump to find out who will be playing Alex, Nico, Karolina, Gert, Chase, and Molly. It's a good group!

Runaways.jpg

Well, this came out of nowhere! Marvel announced today that they've found their Runaways, and the first group of young actors who will be playing the show's key team members has now been revealed.

A brief synopsis has also been revealed, though it doesn't reveal much beyond what comic book fans will already know about the heroes. "Every teenager thinks their parents are evil," it reads. "What if you found out they actually were? Marvel’s Runaways is the story of six diverse teenagers who can barely stand each other but who must unite against a common foe–their parents." Sounds good!

So, who is playing who? Well, here are the actor and character details from Marvel and Hulu.

rhenzyFeliz.jpg

Rhenzy Feliz (Teen Wolf) is Alex Wilder is a loud-and-proud nerd. Admittedly a bit of a loner, Alex spends much of his free-time playing video games, but deep down, what he wants most is to reunite his childhood group of friends.

LyricaOkano.jpg

Lyrica Okano (The Affair) is Nico Minoru–tough, intelligent, and independent–embodies teenage angst. A budding “Wiccan,” Nico’s carefully crafted goth appearance isolates her from her peers and family, but maybe what she really needs is someone to talk to.

VirginiaGardner.jpg

Virginia Gardner (Goat) is Karolina Dean. She has a model-perfect exterior with a lot going on behind her professionally whitened smile, but is burdened by the lofty expectations and responsibilities put upon her by her parents. Underneath her veneer of privilege and perfection, Karolina is experiencing a newfound eagerness to explore her identity and pursue her own desires.

ArielaBarerHeadshot.jpg

Ariela Barer (New Girl) is Gert Yorkes, a purple-haired, bespectacled, contemporary riot grrrl. Never passing up a moment to stand on a soapbox, Gert sometimes wields her persona as a brash social justice warrior to mask her true feelings.

GregSulkinHS.jpg

Gregg Sulkin (Faking It) as Chase Stein is a lacrosse-playing, high school heartthrob. While many write him off as a dumb jock, Chase exhibits flashes of untapped brilliance in engineering, not unlike his wildly successful father’s.

Allegra-Acosta.jpg

Allegra Acosta (100 Things to do Before High School) is Molly Hernandez, the youngest and most innocent member of her friend group, is known for her peppy positivity and a deep yearning to belong.

So, not a group of familiar faces then, but Marvel had to find youngsters to fill these roles, so big names weren't exactly expected. Both this and Cloak and Dagger now seem to be moving ahead at a pretty fast pace, and it will be interesting to see if Hulu looks for some bigger names to play the villainous parents of these characters. The press release promises more announcements are coming.

"The fun and chemistry that this group of talented actors create is wonderful and we’re so excited to bring these beloved characters to life," said Jeph Loeb, Executive Producer and Head of Marvel Television. Runaways comic co-creator and series executive consultant Brian K. Vaughn added, "I’m so excited for fans of the comic to watch this perfect cast of amazing actors, all of whom embody the spirit of their characters more than I ever could have imagined." What do you think of this cast?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

EW: Marvel's Runaways, Exclusive First Look at the New Hulu Series

JlOb6Yz.jpg

24ZLb6H.jpg

KgQNEmq.jpg

Meet the Runaways

The debut of Marvel's Runaways is upon us — the show bows Nov. 21 on Hulu — and EW has an exclusive first look at the cast. Runaways, whose comics source material debuted in 2003, follows six diverse teenagers who can barely stand each other, but who must unite against a common foe: Their parents.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm enjoying this, even not having read the source material. I try to pick one or the other to start with, and this time went with the show before the book. But now I'm regretting that decision because I have SO MANY QUESTIONS! Nick tells me to read the book before episodes and I just might. My head is spinning! 

But this is definitely a fun show. I think the casting helps. Especially Molly!