Hondo's Bar

Eh, I'm not presupposing anything. As I wrote earlier, I wish I would've clicked stop after the shooter was revealed. I got the premise. They have my interest. All that follows the reveal of Negan as the shooter is a barrage of spoilery moments which will no doubt ruin long set-ups to a "pay off" moment. I feel like the same thing just happened with the trailer for Peele's Get Out.

i guess it's a sub-discussion, but...ya'll really don't feel some trailers show too much, especially the ones that go several minutes?

i get baytor's point about not hinging so much on a moment, but that Peele one i posted literally took me through the intro & body of the film, i felt like i went kinda far along in that story for a trailer. i get super cryptic-y ones not being everyone's cup of tea either, just that there's ends on both sides of that spectrum.

I haven't seen that trailer but this one literally just shows a few seconds scenes from the movie. What would they show instead?

From watching the trailer I know that the bear's gonna make noise and give away their hiding place (which I already knew the moment I saw that it made noise), that that one woman becomes important apparently, and that dog attacks are going to feature heavily into this movie. But even the most spoilery trailer I can think of, the remake of Last House on the Left (which gives away the end of the actual movie), didn't ruin the experience for me.

I haven't seen that trailer but this one literally just shows a few seconds scenes from the movie. What would they show instead?

From watching the trailer I know that the bear's gonna make noise and give away their hiding place (which I already knew the moment I saw that it made noise), that that one woman becomes important apparently, and that dog attacks are going to feature heavily into this movie...

I didn't notice the bear making noise prior to the shot were it gave away their location, but good on ya for catching that, I suppose. We also know Negan is out there alone with only his Terminator-esque dog, and that our hero duo steals his truck at some point. And that's just from what I recall of one single viewing of the trailer. I just feel that's a lot given away unnecessarily. It's an action/suspense film about a scary white guy killing Mexicans made by the son of the Mexican director with the most Oscars ever. I'm sold on what this movie is about. I don't need 30 more short clips of the rest of the film thrown at me for the next sixty seconds.

And all of that information tells you fuck-all about the plot trajectory, it's all out of context. It's showing you snippets of a movie which is what a trailer is. I heard this same sort of complaining about the trailer for Don't Breathe but lo and behold it had a lot of shit that surprised people and one of those trailer gave away a big spoiler. You don't know what any of those snippets actually mean, you don't know how important the truck is or if he is actually alone out there. Remember how the trailer for The Grey showed the ending but it didn't matter at all? Trailers have been known to edit footage in a misleading way, some of them outright lie with extra footage. It's effective at showing the audience what the movie's going to be like, the actual experience will be untarnished even if the movie is in the trailer because seeing a glimpse of a part of a movie isn't the same as experiencing it as a part of a narrative. I swear this is why movies have been doing that stupid "start-at-the-end-and-then-flash-back thing", just as a deliberate middle finger to people overly concerned with spoilers.

^haven't a number of them lazily done that at least since tarentino made timeline jumping en vogue years back?

But even the most spoilery trailer I can think of, the remake of Last House on the Left (which gives away the end of the actual movie), didn't ruin the experience for me.

i admittedly haven't yet seen the trailer for this thread's flick, but that bit on Last House sounds shitty, man. no, it's not the whole of it, but what's gained by leaving it in? like, the trailer for Quarantine showed the final scene...i imagine crowds not having yet seen it might not know it, but it just struck me as a poor moment to toss in.

i'll get around to this trailer, but take a look at the Jordan Peele movie thread & tell me if you honestly don't think they showed way more of the flick than necessary.

but that bit on Last House sounds shitty, man. no, it's not the whole of it, but what's gained by leaving it in?

It sold me on the movie, all the spoilery bits (and the Last House trailer is pretty much just an outline of the movie in chronological order) are the things that caught my eye and made me excited to see the movie and when I saw them in the movie I still enjoyed them.

But that's irrelevant in this case as this trailer is probably the least spoilery trailer I've seen. It reveals that things will happen but not how, why, or when. It's no more revealing than a trailer for any action/thriller movie, arguably less so.

^haven't a number of them lazily done that at least since tarentino made timeline jumping en vogue years back?

Tarantino was doing that for this very reason. He wants people to be able to pick up his movies at any point and watch so say it's playing in an all day marathon you could catch the last 20 minutes then wait for it to start again and enjoy it as though you've seen it from the beginning.