Hondo's Bar

Theoretical Marvel + Fox talks

FX just gave fans their first extended look at its upcoming X-Men series Legion on Sunday at New York Comic Con, and it already promises to be one of the more fascinating shows due to come out in 2017. After con-goers watched the first half hour of the pilot, the show's cast and crew came onstage to answer questions about what’s to come. What we got was a glimpse at how ambitious this series will be, why it’s being made now, and even a little bit about where it exists in Marvel canon.

Of course, the bigger question is how the series could connect to the larger Marvel Cinematic Universe. Marvel TV head Jeph Loeb was onstage to say that the studio entered talks for the series enthusiastically, and the show represents a chance to build bridges between Fox and Marvel’s efforts. At an earlier panel for Agents of SHIELD, Loeb said "Stay tuned" regarding to prospect of future crossovers, but only meant that conversations need to be had. And we still don’t know for sure if those conversations are happening right now.

Ok, so I'm thinking of making this a conversation point for my show today, so I thought i'd open the discussion here with some thoughts and see what you guys think.

With the X-men franchise effectively coming to an end, and the end of a new "phase" in Marvel movie history winding down, we have a lot to kinda digest here. Obviously, we know that Marvel would like to just have their X-men back under their banner but can't legally because Fox is still making movies. However, we live in a brand new day where Sony and Marvel have teamed up to make a Spider-man movie. While our talk is just theoretical, I think it would be ignorant to assume these talks between Fox and Marvel execs are not farther along that we think.

There's a lot of hush hush that goes on when it comes to big business deals especially the kind that would link two studios like Fox and Marvel. For Loeb to come out and hint towards that future is what gave me pause in the first place. Sure, he could be trying to garner fan attention and make them plead with Fox to do this quicker, but that doesn't seem like the smartest early game move. That's more of a "talks are happening and pretty far in, maybe a little fan reaction will tip this where I need it to be to seal the deal".

So what's stopping this from magically being announced tomorrow?

Well, first off - the announcement of this partnership could hurt potential upcoming Fox films. People hear they are working together, that screams reboot and that might mean less dollars in Fox's pocket for the movies around the corner. Also, we need to consider the new Spider-man film. Sure, he made an appearance in Civil War, but that was Sony being allowed to have their character in a Marvel movie. Fox might want to evaluate how much...control Sony has over the Spider-man remake first as well as see how well it does in the box office before they commit to signing on officially with Marvel.

Like legalizing weed, you gotta show the almighty dollar is there first before people start considering that shit

Thoughts?

I think the Legion show is Fox dipping their toe into the Marvel waters. Legion is a character that can have an endless amout of powers and bridging the gap between these two universes can be one of them. Just thrusting mutants into the Marvel Cinematic Universe will be unbelievable and a mistake. This show is a test to see if these two universes can coexist in a small contained area with the possibility of expanding later.

Edited by Da Cap'n 2099

Wait, so is Legion legit set in MCU, Foxverse or something else entirely?

Sounds to me like it's Foxverse--which already has established alternate timelines. So who knows if it'll be rebooted DoFP FoXverse or original Singer FoXverse, or totally new FoXverse. (I feel like I'm over using FoXverse. No?)

Also, Loeb hints Legion MIGHT ONE DAY POSSIBLY MAYBE crossover with MCU. If that happens, I'm of the mind it'll be similar to how DCEU is handling Supergirl in the Arrowverse--alternate dimensions.

Fox isn't letting go of x-men or, odder still, the FF franchises, but i'm still betting that a successful (both financial and critically) spidey film from a joint MCU/sony production will get the ball rolling here. if the shows somehow pave the way for that, that's cool too.

Fox isn't letting go of x-men or, odder still, the FF franchises, but i'm still betting that a successful (both financial and critically) spidey film from a joint MCU/sony production will get the ball rolling here. if the shows somehow pave the way for that, that's cool too.

Yeah I think Spidey will be the testbed for what Fox wants to do next.