Hondo's Bar

Metroid: Samus Returns

Little Nemo McFly

Hopefully, it's as bad-ass a remake as what 'Zero Mission' was.

I like the first Metroid Prime - but they gotta keep the IP in sum form - in that 2D 'exploration' genre. I hate the use the term Metroid-vania...'cuz it's fucking Metroid! Gotta bring it back to what made it awesome in the first place - same w/ Star Fox: a simple on-rails arcade shooter.

I appreciate Nintendo's obsession w/ keepin' it fresh - but damn, at the same - if it ain't broke.

This game is Day One. I hope Nintendo has some...sort of ability to connect the 3DS to the Switch. I'd love to play this and Ocarina 3D on my big screen / couch - despite the resolution down-grade.

Edited by Little Nemo McFly

I hate the use the term Metroid-vania...'cuz it's fucking Metroid!

Well, Castlevania came out the same year as Metroid and even though the series wouldn't do the back-tracking exploration thing like Metroid until Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest a year later, there were certainly a ton of game-play similarities.

also I really gotta beat prime 3 finally!

Love the first Metroid Prime - gave the sequel a couple of days worth of gameplay when it came out, then returned it. That much of a failure to grab me. I just remember it being soooo boring.

I still haven't had the chance to play 3 - but i'm dying to, been avoiding spoilers for it for all these years. For the most part - it's 'cuz of the lore. I know it involves 'super computers' that are giant brains - essentially what Mother Brain is. How the 'super computers' tie into the mythology or Mother Brain herself - is what I'm really interested in. People have told me to avoid MP3 like the plague, tho...

(shrugs) Still wanna play. Especially now - that a Metroid Prime 4 is coming.

so glad I've yet to finish 2 now, haha

2792352-31.jpg

NZA - noun: officially the strongest human being ever made. For - very likely, owning this very issue - and not feeling the need to devour this game and put it's skin on his belt.

yeah, Prime 2 clearly wasn't for everyone - the darkworld mechanic could get tedious, it wasn't as (initially) interesting as part 1 (honestly, the music/snow in Phendora Plains or whatever was fucking incredible), and truth be told, the endgame is some ol' hidden collectathon bullshit.

but the depth of some of the levels & puzzles was incredible in its own right, and the final fight was so badass. it sets up 3's theme perfectly, thought i gotta say, i enjoyed them more on the wii than the GC...pointer shooting felt better, even if i'll never wrap my brain around how some of the base controls are setup.

NZA - noun: officially the strongest human being ever made. For - very likely, owning this very issue - and not feeling the need to devour this game and put it's skin on his belt.

confession time: i was a dumb kid who traded my OG gameboy in before the good games made it out...i didn't play Link's Awakening till many years later, for example. as a diehard sega fan, i needed that game gear and it wasn't my best decision, haha.

Yeah - I got a Gameboy like, at launch and held on to that fucker till like, the Pokemon years. Can't remember what ever happened to it - it just disappeared one day. Got a Game Gear, too @ launch - Sonic and Bonk Chuck Rock...all the way! But - also gone. Luckily, my gf still has her original - we have it up on our 'console / handheld showcase'. Game Gear was a total battery slut - it couldn't get enough.

Fun Fact: She was on the Sega camp, too - in the day. She also held on to her Master System, Genesis n' Dreamcast - it's like a damn museum over here - but, you're place made me want to just trash my place and start over. LOL - like a painting I suddenly hate. "Not...good...enough!"

Metroid-Samus-Returns-amiibo.jpg

A Metroid Amiibo. They got my letters.

EDIT: Bonk? Whoops - I meant 'Chuck Rock'. Bonk is the shit, tho. That totally should've been on Game Gear.

Edited by Little Nemo McFly

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sweet! (Samus looks kinda weird w/ a neck) I will be getting this.

I would like this exact type of gameplay - in full blown HD. Kick back and play this on my big screen. Yeah, we're getting a Prime 4 - but a GIGANTIC, massive 2D map to explore...on the couch...would be awesome. I hope they don't keep future 2D Metroids as handheld-only projects.

(I hear Vagrant is digging into Super Metroid) THAT needs a proper console sequel...oh, yeah. 'Other M'. (clears throat) Imagine Super Metroid x 4 - w/ modern graphics...c'mon, now. Heed me, Nintendo. Heeeeed!

• 1 month later...

so, i've been playing my copy & having a good time, but...i gotta say, Metriod 2 isn't my favorite.

the classic gameplay's all here (and some of the power-ups are neat) but just hitting new areas, hunting down the next metroids, rinse & repeat is starting to feel like a slog at times. i'm glad they keep changing form to keep things interesting, but other additions - like this counter/uppercut thing - kinda feel like one more button to push on a less than ideal control setup (i mean the 3DS itself more than the game).

still really glad we got this, but it's gonna have to do some interesting stuff as it goes to pull ahead of zero mission, fusion, super etc.

also for good measure:

I might be picking it up this weekend. Dusted off my 3DS last week, getting back into hand-held mode. (Badge Arcade gives out 2 free plays every day, now...hey-hey-hey.)

Man, I've been hearing all kinds of stuff about this 'new' Metroid - honestly, I can't wait to get it. LOL - keeping expectations in check tho...yeah, that GB Metroid really wasn't no Super Metroid.

God...I am so pissed that the 'Justin Bailey' (green-haired, purple-suited) Samus - isn't an alternate 'Zero-Suit Samus' skin in Wii U Smash.

One of the most legendary codes in all of gaming-dom...and it being a simple color swap - man! Why didn't they put that in there?! Ugh! That would've been sooo coooool! Freakin'...it would've been a fantastic nod / perfect look for Zero Suit. Total missed opportunity for 'feels'.

tumblr_n0p94qndft1r4749xo1_500.gif

Nintendo hates me.

• 3 months later...