Hondo's Bar

Vinyl Pick-Up Thread!

Stilly

Grabbed a couple of my all-time favorites today. First off, the album that got me into MUSE more than a decade ago:

MUSE - Absolution

0gVQgAI.jpg

Sound quality is pretty good, but not great. Side A seems slightly off center, especially near the end. Other than that, a fantastic album, and a pretty good pressing. Pales in comparison to my other find. I've been looking for this next one for a while, and I've never so much as seen it in store. I don't want to order it online because I have no idea how it's going to look when it finally ends up in my hands, so I've been on the hunt for this one.

Boards of Canada - Geogaddi

RZ3g1l5.jpg

Only got into BoC because of @MetalHeart, so this is ALL YOUR FAULT. This pressing is AMAZING, and completely blows me out of the water. It's a 3 LP pressing, and side 6 has an incredible etching. It was supposed to come with a sticker, but my copy didn't, but it's just so amazing to have this in my hands.

Finally, here's what my beautiful wife got me for Christmas this year:

Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral (2017 Definitive Edition)

CBv1lAt.jpg

Absolute perfection, and one of my favorite albums ever. I cannot tell you how much she knocked it out of the park on this one. Sound quality is perfect, art quality is perfect, it even has a booklet about the making of the album. 11/10

Edited by Stillbored
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

gigxbHu.jpg

These were the records I picked up on our Goodwill trip. One dollar each! The Halloween Horrors is just creepy sound effects that I plan on playing next October. I bought Crowded House because "Don't Dream It's Over" is one of my all time favorite songs and I've never heard anything else they've done, so that'll be fun!

But the real prize for me is the Simon and Garfunkel record. They're probably my favorite artists EVER, and this double record has both S&G hits and Paul Simon's solo stuff like Julio, Kodachrome, 50 Ways etc. I've seen this online for anywhere from $15-$40 so getting it for a buck feels AWESOME! :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

They had Origin, Absolution, Showbiz, and Black Holes and Revelations at the place I went today. Wanted all of them reaaaaaaaally badly, but ended up grabbing my first exposure to them. I'm going to have to take a series of pictures of everything I got this year...I kinda got outta hand...

mFlvlA3.jpg

Those are incredible finds, by the way! A huge portion of my collection is from Goodwill / Half Price Books. One day I walked out of Goodwill with Saturday Night Fever, Lionel Richie, and Rick Astley for $.59 each.

Picked the limited edition of Marilyn Manson - The Pale Emperor at HPB for <$15 last week, too. Also, that was less than the gift card I was using, so it felt like it was freeeeeeee!

2i1FJtU.jpg

hM7KCHj.jpg

Edited by Stillbored
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Stillbored said:

Also, I need more shelving because I am so out of room.

IKEA Kallax shelves are the perfect size for vinyl! And they come in all different sizes. You can get a four-shelf all the way up to the sixteen that NZA and I have:

MTxq8ES.jpg

And if you don't have enough vinyl to fill it, you can get fabric drawers for like 5 bucks and use the rest for storage space! I have a tall black Kallax I use just for clothes!

• Like 1

:worship:

Holy crap, that's a lot of stuffs! I've been eyeing the KALLAX stuff for around tax season. They just built an Ikea near us (also near one of my favorite record shops), so I'll be getting one like that soon! May just start at the 4x for starters like you said, because we could always use the storage!

• Like 1

yeah, i'd say 3/4 (if not more) of that collection comes from a DJ/part time (at best) hondonian who decided to go digital a few years back...the entire first row is hip hop, but my dude had a lot of R&B, techno, funk and some other greats.  

last year i filled out that hip hop shelf with some of my favorite albums (discogs and amazon where my better deals for harder to find stuff), but so much of the classic rock, folk, soul and such came from flea markets, goodwill and CD trader, a shop i wish was closer but they do almost any album they have for $3/each (with the 5th one free!), god i love that place. 

here's my end of that goodwill come-up (mind you, i usually walk away with one santana album at best, 99% of the stores out here have classical, holiday and old spanish stuff to the gills)

(donny just reminded me i should include englebert humperdink and ray contiff also make up like half)

qpRRupO.jpg

Talking Heads, Crosby Stills & Nash, James Taylor, more Pindergrass, The Who, more Crosby, Asia, Flock of Seagulls & i think you can see the rest...not bad for $10!  that Collins 45" was a highlight too.

dWO9JsQ.jpg

• Haha 1

Chuck Magione represent!

J12l8QC.jpg

Also, probably one of my more interesting (to me) parts of my collection, a counterfeit copy of Bread from Goodwill:

VAfAj4Z.jpg

Also, don't even get me started on the amount of Herb Alpert I have now....

Edited by Stillbored
  • Like 1

ahahaha yes

i have at least 4 or 5 Herb Alpert & Tijuana Brass from them, good to know that's universal...i enjoy it but don't buy many now for fear of getting duplicates!

related: we need to sort out a good collection app to more easily keep up with what we have & don't have, i think it's been at least twice we've picked up something that was already on the shelf....

I've got most of my collection on Discogs. The app works pretty well, and even has barcode scanning. It's helped keep track of which releases I'm looking for, and what I already have. It may not be great, so to speak, but it's the best one I've come across so far.

Nice! I need to start branching out into other genres that I've always loved. Right now I have an odd blend of Prog Rock / Weird Electronica / Metal / Industrial / Herb Alpert. I'm taking the rest of my holiday money to Forever Young on Wednesday, so I'll hopefully have some more awesome then. Until then, it's me and Herb Alpert:

V1J4qBU.jpg

Mandatory Agatha Crispy:

PA867k6.jpg

And the only gatefold I'll ever need:

ytXf2lx.jpg

• Like 1