Hondo's Bar

Vinyl Pick-Up Thread!

Stilly

5 minutes ago, Mr. Hakujin said:

So a friend got me a nice little  turntable and wireless speakers for Christmas and I need to start buying some vinyl to actually play on it. I still have my original copy of Thriller and a few 45s (including "Purple Rain") from back in the day, but I'm in need of some new stuff.

I've no real record shops in close proximity to me, so any suggestions for online links to look for good used or new vinyl? Amazon is higher than I thought; actually, vinyl in general is more expensive than I anticipated. So I'm being hyper selective and putting spending limits on myself for vinyl. I've already got an unhealthy collectibles/action figure addiction I'm doing poorly at shaking. (dropped over five bills this month thanks to TRU sales and having to have that life-sized Infinity Gauntlet replica)

Amazon can be pricey depending on the album but is more often than not still the cheapest online option I've found. I'd be interested in hearing some other options myself.

Do you have thrift shops near you? NZA and I have found some real gems at thrifts, flea markets, Goodwill, etc! Takes some digging, but that's half the fun!

• Like 1

yeah, i really can't recommend discogs enough either - excellent resource for condition on reprints/etc and good prices too, in my experience if you've a wishlist it's worth looking around for a big seller with a few things you like to save on shipping too

but that's if you're after used/older & hard to find stuff, new or recent reprints are usually pretty good on amazon but even then i'd check both 

30 minutes ago, Donatella said:

Amazon can be pricey depending on the album but is more often than not still the cheapest online option I've found. I'd be interested in hearing some other options myself.

Do you have thrift shops near you? NZA and I have found some real gems at thrifts, flea markets, Goodwill, etc! Takes some digging, but that's half the fun!

No thrift shops or flea markets in the area really. I guess I could look at the local Goodwill though, didn't even think about them having vinyl. Next weekend meeting some friends and I'm hitting up a flea market outta town, so hopefully I'll find a good deal.

New Orleans has a few vinyl shops, but they're all priced at collector's value. There's one place about a 20 minute drive from my house called "2nd & Charles" which is basically a Books-A-Million that buys-&-sells most anything collectible. I checked their vinyl collection out yesterday and it's small, but again priced comparable to or above Amazon. I'm gonna haul some toys down there next week when I'm off and see if I can get some store credit to put towards vinyl. 

23 minutes ago, The NZA said:

yeah, i really can't recommend discogs enough either - excellent resource for condition on reprints/etc and good prices too, in my experience if you've a wishlist it's worth looking around for a big seller with a few things you like to save on shipping too

but that's if you're after used/older & hard to find stuff, new or recent reprints are usually pretty good on amazon but even then i'd check both 

Discogs?

At the moment I'm not looking for new music on vinyl so much as stuff I really love already that I might enjoy more so via the vinyl experience. (Hopefully that didn't sound as pretentious/hipster as it felt typing.) For example, Amy Winehouse's Back to Black is a favorite of mine and it's $15 new and $13 used on AZN and at 2nd&Charles. That's looking like a good bet. I'd also like to get some classic rock like Led Zep, Stones, and Hendrix. I'm not looking to get into the original issues, I'd be okay with re-issues. 

So what I'm hearing from you two is the real deals are out there "in the wild" then, huh? No decent online retailer past Almighty AZN?

Question for all the vinyl collectors/aficionados here:  what is your budget for a "good deal" on a new album, like newly released music in the plastic wrap new. How much "new music" are you buying on vinyl? I'm seeing $20-$25 looks like standard pricing. I'm having a hard time justifying spending that much when it streams for free, hence why I'm only looking for older stuff now.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

Check out /r/VinylDeals on reddit. You may not always find exactly what you're looking for, but you can get some kickass deals there from time to time. A couple weeks back, I was able to get 3 records I had been looking for for the price of what 1 of them cost in a store I frequent.

The seller Get_importcds on ebay usually has fantastic deals. Right now, they're running 20% off $60+, and eBay proper is running an additional 15% off $50+ (which totally stacks), so you can get some good things. Get_importcds also has free shipping on most (if not all) of their sales.

I basically just keep an eye out on VinylDeals. You'll see a lot of Amazon / eBay / Wal-Mart / Best Buy on there with a few others from time to time. I have signed up for accounts with a bunch of random retailers, and I'll get coupons every now and then. Books-A-Million runs ads/coupons frequently, and if you pay for a membership ($25/year, I think), they give you a shit ton of 20% coupons and whatnot.

Welcome to your new obsession.

• Like 1
  • Really Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mr. Hakujin said:

what is your budget for a "good deal" on a new album

Yeah, $20-25, but I've paid $50 for a couple brand new ones. I'm not going to lie, it can be expensive, and it doesn't compete with streaming as far as convenience / price.

I like the whole experience. I like the physical aspect of it. I like having to go through a process to listen to the music. It just feels more, I dunno, concrete?

In a less hipster way of putting it, I like the inconvenience. I like having the physical collection of music. I grew up during the advent of the mp3, this is a whole new thing. It feels more permanent than downloading/streaming something and discarding it afterwards. I have to carefully figure out whether or not I want an album, and if it's worth paying that much for it. I dunno, I like the overall experience of vinyl, and digging through the crates looking for a good deal, and discovering new music, and on and on and on.

Forgot to mention Discogs as well in my last post. It's a huge online marketplace made up of record collectors. You can get some awesome stuff on there. The app is incredible, and you can scan the UPC on the back of whatever album you're looking at in-store, and it'll tell you if it's overpriced. There's a lot more functionality, but that's probably 50% of my use of it.

man, i wish walmart out here had shit on wax! im guessing you meant online though 

and yeah, discogs is literally the spot to know about reprtints, variations and such, and again some of the best prices ive seen on stuff i'm after.  their catalog is so thorough it even had  few of my bootlegs!

and $20-25 is retail on most things, some double LP's (like Outkast's last one) usually go $40 but again, cheaper on discogs.

speaking of: stily's right about that app, i'm currently cataloging my collection (1/3 done!) and that scanning barcodes saves so much time.  related: man, them showing you how much your collection's worth on average is crazy, even if it means noting given the condition of so many of my jackets here, haha

ps just checked stilly's collection to get salty about demon days again

8 minutes ago, The NZA said:

man, i wish walmart out here had shit on wax! im guessing you meant online though 

Yep, online with free shipping to your closest store in most cases.

8 minutes ago, The NZA said:

checked stilly's collection to get salty about demon days again

Don't worry. It popped up on Amazon a couple days ago with info about a repressing that comes out next Friday. The info is gone, but it's a huge possibility!!!

eWBNIQf.gif

took the greater part of a week, but 779 entries later, i cataloged all of my & donny's vinyl! there were a few i had that i couldn't find (generally bootleg-y hip hop collections) and donny has a few down by her mom's place, but this is pretty much it.  

i love the breakdown: 447 hip hop, 122 funk/soul, 121 electronic, 107 rock (mostly classic), 42 pop etc...so let's look at what it's supposedly worth

I6SCudQ.png

:LOL:little do they know like 75-80% was my boy's DJ collection, and the jackets are beat!  most of it plays fine though, the rest is all thrift stores, garage sales & a few hundred on amazon.  still, not bad!  not terribly surprising that video game OST's are worth the most, especially hotline miami, which is crazy popular and only came from a kickstarter a few years back. stuff i slept on too long (kno - death is silent, nujabes/fat jon - samurai champloo OST, 2Pac - Me Against The World, Micheal Jackson - HIStory, etc) are worth way, way more, haha. 

there's no good advice here, stilly

grow up with future superstar DJ's, that's the only reason i have more than $64 of stuff

i'm not even kidding - my man had such excellent taste it's disgusting.  i literally just watched "sample this", an entire netflix docu of hip hop sampling around a single $4 record, right? i checked - yup, he left me that too.  i'm gonna be helping this guy move until he dies. 

• Really Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

updated the collection!

we're close to 1,100 at this point, DJ ariel assault donated the last of his stuff earlier this year & i rightfully spent some of my stimulus check filling in gaps, there's not much left that's attainable at this point

also: the popularity of the format in the last year or so specifically leading to either deep out-of-print represses of stuff like 2pac albums - or those that never saw an official press (nujabes is huge here for me) has been such a magical thing to see, my top tier wishlist has been seeing way more wish fulfillment than i'd imagined!

i imagine stilly & others have this plateau that's the same for me as it with classic gaming & other things - like, i still want the crow OST, death is silent and other pickups but when they reach beyond a hundred it's like, i could win a lottery and still not want to pay this much for them, so digital it is~

(but you always keep an eyo out, just in case)

• Wow! 1

I'm mostly buying limited shit, or niche videogame soundtracks I want when they pop up for preorder. I've got a copy of the Untitled Goose Game soundtrack on the way, because I couldn't live without that. These days, it's basically things that catch my eye.

Also, the Jazz Daredevil albums by H. Jon Benjamin are far too funny to go without

• 2 years later...
On 1/15/2018 at 2:46 AM, Stilly said:

Nice! (Lol, didn't even mean to copy your post)

Here's mine:

• Aphex Twin - Drukqs 
  • Presidents of the United States of America - self titled
  • Anything by Cake (seriously, even Motorcade)
  • Sufjan Stevens - Silver and Gold

I would kill any of you people for these. I metaphorically, of course.

I'm bringing this fucking thread back because I've gotten a shitload of new records since 2018.

That being said, I did pick up the self-titled of PotUSoA mentioned above when they re-released it on Kickstarter a couple years back.

Also, CAKE is being crazy generous. They re-pressed Fashion Nugget this year (I have two copies, one red, one black. They also just announced (like, last night) a repress of Prolonging the Magic, which I immediately preordered. It looks like they're going to repress all of themmmmmmmmm. In which case, I'm going to snag two copies of each (one color, one not) and fucking frame the color versions.

Farrrr too excited about this one

image.png

Still holding out for a Drukqs re-press from Aphex. Mint condition ones are still going for about $1600 USD, and I can't justify that. Hell, even ones that are scratched to hell and don't have the box it came in are $150-400 on discogs.

I WILL POST MY VINYL NONSENSE IN HERE. I MERELY FORGOT THE THREAD EXISTED.

• Like 1

christ i need fashion nugget, that other one now too hnnghh

nearly all my vinyl pickups this year were game soundtracks - big ones were the same persona set stills did, and the phoenix wright set...latest one was deltarune chapter 2

i did get a recent deal for like $50 on 2 metallica albums, nina simome's greatest hits and aaliyah's best album, excited for them finally arriving

58 minutes ago, The NZA said:

persona set stills did

Did you preorder the Dancing box set? I will buy every Persona set they release in hopes that they finally press Golden. I needs that fucking harmonica

I also bought the SMTIII set because I'm a fucking ATLUS simp I guess

This is what my collection looks like these days.

20221216_210230.jpg

Yes, I have 3 copies of Impera by Ghost. Yes, I have the the limited edition that came with that fucking giant handmade labyrinth thing (that thing in the top left) that they only made 2000 of (and took damn near a year to get to me). Is it the rarest thing I own, no, but it's up there and it's fucking cool, lol.

• Wow! 1

• 4 weeks later...