Hondo's Bar

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I feel like the slow plodding reification of Star Wars is killing it. Long running sci-fi and fantasy settings both suffer from this problem, Star Wars is just a particularly high-profile version of it. Every new movie or show that's canon is another thing which all future writers and directors are tied down to and if they deviate too far then they either get punished by the Disney, who wants to sell the nostalgia, or the fans, who reject it as "not their Star Wars". I don't blame directors for not wanting to work on Star Wars after one go. Its got to be a stifling environment.

• 2 months later...

It's got some issues but most of the backlash has to do with the perceived feud between Abrams and Johnson and claims that it undercuts the emotional and thematic beats established in the last movie (it doesn't).

It had to cap off not just this trilogy but the two trilogies prior and skirt around the fact that they've got all of 8 minutes of unused footage of Carrie Fisher to use to tie off her story.

They throw a lot at the screen but it fleshes out the universe a lot, builds relationships and character dynamics and pays off Johnson's "anyone can be a hero" coda in a big way. It's borderline schmaltzy but Star Wars has always been a series that requires the viewer to approach without cynicism. It feels mythic and hopeful, I really liked it.

Plus Abrams finally created a movie big enough to contain Ian Mcdiarmid's broad-ass performance as Emperor Palpatine. He manages not to undercut the drama of his scenes like he did in Return of the Jedi and Revenge of the Sith.

Edited by Iambaytor
  • Upvote 1

Episode IX:

I've seen it twice in theaters, and the second time I saw it in IMAX 3D, which genuinely improved my impression of the film. It has some amazing sequences that really shine more on the IMAX 3D screen. Overall, it's a good movie that has a great movie buried in it. A decent bit of nostalgia and fan service was present, with some decent course correction away from the stinky mess TLJ left.