Hondo's Bar

Action figures

Newtype

I'm living vicariously through you @Donatella since mine are still in the box. Ditto on the Kraven two-pack.

As for SDCC reveals, Hasbro should just start taking withdrawals from my paycheck. I'm gonna have a completed 90s X-Men set once I get that Love Triangle three-pack. Ditto on 90s X-Factor once Guido, Polaris, and Havoc are in my hands. And I'm still working on X-Force, but I'll hopefully have Boomer & Cannonball soon. I recently picked up the Colossus/Juggs, Hela/Skurg, and Korg/Space Goldblum sets as well. I'm eating ramen for every meal, but it's worth it.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
  • Haha 1

so i grabbed the hulk/wovly combo (can't turn down that hulk) and juggy/colossus, as well as a few x-men...don't think ill get the complete jim lee #1 cover going, but i'll be close!  prolly gonna grab another line of rogue cause that legends one is up there.  i was this close to getting the cyk/jean/wolvy combo but if that jacket doesn't come off, ill pass.

the retro line storm (white outfit) is impossible to find out here, so i went with the 80s mohawk.

also lucked out today - target had nightcrawler & sinister! now i'm back on trying to find ones i used to see everywhere, like bishop and jubilee 

also @Mr. Hakujin & others - what do you do when you want a BAF but not most of the figures in the line?  is there a cheaper way for parts than ebay?  cause with shipping, most current kingpin ones are about as much as the figures would be, but i really dont need a puma 

also since x-factor came up, id love a maddox from the peter david run

On 7/28/2019 at 8:13 PM, The NZA said:

so i grabbed the hulk/wovly combo (can't turn down that hulk) and juggy/colossus, as well as a few x-men...don't think ill get the complete jim lee #1 cover going, but i'll be close!  prolly gonna grab another line of rogue cause that legends one is up there.  i was this close to getting the cyk/jean/wolvy combo but if that jacket doesn't come off, ill pass.

the retro line storm (white outfit) is impossible to find out here, so i went with the 80s mohawk.

also lucked out today - target had nightcrawler & sinister! now i'm back on trying to find ones i used to see everywhere, like bishop and jubilee 

also @Mr. Hakujin & others - what do you do when you want a BAF but not most of the figures in the line?  is there a cheaper way for parts than ebay?  cause with shipping, most current kingpin ones are about as much as the figures would be, but i really dont need a puma 

also since x-factor came up, id love a maddox from the peter david run

1. I'm passing on the Hulk/Wolvie 2-pack for now. I'm not in love with that sculpt and I've already got three hulks on display: Hulkbuster 2-pack from 2018, Ragnarok BAF, and my current favorite--the Marvel Select WWH. But there's no way I'm passing on the Scott/Jean/Logan threeway three-pack. I am dead set on completing the 90s X-Men & X-Factor teams. I already have the Rogue & Cyclops from the Warlock BAF wave, so I don't mind the bomber jacket. And the Warlock BAF Cyclops is so crazy expensive on eBay now that you can literally get these three figs for the price of one Cyc off eBay.

2. I haven't seen any of the Wendigo BAF wave figs hit my area yet. Ditto for the retro-carded Storm wave. I'm gonna need that Storm for sure. I want the Cyc for the visor effects head sculpts. I'm on the fence with Iceman. I want Boomer, Nightcrawler, Sinister, and Cannonball. This is two great X-Men waves in a row with BAFs I just couldn't give two shits about. 

3. And that is the rub with the Marvel Legends lines, isn't it--the BAF. That Kingpin BAF is pretty much a must have for any Daredevil display you're gonna do, right? Yet the line it comes with are all, with the exception of one figure (Silver Sable, who I got just to use w/ the Lilandra headsculpt from the Walgreens exclusive Mystique.), a very easy pass for me. At this point on eBay the BAF parts for Kingpin are stupid high; like you mentioned, most BAF parts for Fisky are going for as much as the entire figures do at retail, which are $18-22 in my part of the world once you factor in tax. So with that particular BAF it's gonna be cheapest to just buy the whole line, and try to re-sell the unwanted figs for $5 to $10 each. Walgreens and Best Buy put Legends on sale regularly to make room for new waves--so I'd check there for $3-5 off retail for each figure. Gamestop if you've got their rewards card may also be worth it. I usually only shop from their clearance section, and I rarely find Legends there on sale. Five Below also get Legends in, but those or mostly the pegwarmers. You could always go to one of the big online stores, EE, BBTS, Megalopolis, and Dorkside. Megalopolis has  really good "daily deals" on cases of waves sometimes. Usually the older waves start to go on sale online by now when you buy a complete set, but that Kingpin is so hot the sets are still $150-$160 online.

3. tl;dr = suck it up, buttercup, and buy the wave. Orrrrrr....just wait for the inevitable DD/Kingpin two-pack to be released in a year or so. 😕

@Newtype let us know if you've any Legends buying tips for finding sales and deals. Target used to put Legends on sale regularly, however, with these 2019 Legends waves there have been zero discounts in my area. Wal-Mart in my area rarely put Legends on sale. There are literally two pegs filled with Gwenpools from the Sauron BAF line that have been sitting on a local WallyWorld shelf since December 2018. I shit you not. They still want $18.88 a piece for them. I'm guessing it's an oversight on the manager's part, but it's weird since the Solo Black Series figs have been on sale for months yet they haven't come down at all on Legends.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
tl;dr
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

best buy sells legends?  damn, ive been checking all the walgreens/gamestops out here, didn't even think of them.  or do they mostly do it online?

On 7/30/2019 at 6:01 AM, Mr. Hakujin said:

3. tl;dr = suck it up, buttercup, and buy the wave. Orrrrrr....just wait for the inevitable DD/Kingpin two-pack to be released in a year or so. 😕

so i'd been meaning to ask: does this happen often? like, a BAF gets repackaged down the road?  cause the recent Juggernaut one is the only one i think i've seen, and i wish it'd happen more honestly

speaking of BAF's: a peeve of mine - even as a kid, with those secret wars figures everyone on my block had - was them being the same height.  wolverine being as tall as sabretooth (toy biz 90s ones) was upsetting; the same height as hulk?!  ughhh

so i'd go after oversized figures where i saw em: still have the 90s sentinel & galactus both (minus his feeder/cosmic dildo thing).  i know legends has nicer versions of both, but i like em...but yeah, i really love having characters to scale, and especially villains being larger than their respective heroes, when they are in the books. 

i dig Odin, Wendigo & a few, but here's the ones i'd been debating:

7X8z5HV.jpg

he's a hometown hero, and it's kinda cool he even got one.  reading moore's swamp thing run recently made me wanna go back & read more man-thing.  plus, it seems on the cheap side these days.

u8QFLEF.jpg

so my x-men set is nearly done, and this is one of the last villains i'd needed - he doesn't come cheap, but the detail there is too badass to make peace with the oversized toy biz one i'd had in the day

HIs0UKL.jpg

same here - it's a throwback event, but i really dug it in the day - the idea was to give the x-men their own galactus, even if it did turn out to just be a roundabout way to shoehorn in Heroes Reborn & welcome the image crew back for a bit.  there's 2 versions, but this is the classic andy kubert (i wanna say) one that starts by tying up cleremont's old "who's the traitor" plotline, which i think mark waid was stilla round for as well. 

VIsS26O.jpg

so now that i'm tying up x-men, i'd wanted to have a solid sinister six lineup of my own design: ive got green goblin (diamond select, i like that version & it's affordable), classic doc ock, and a 90's venom: the madness one ive always loved.  i'd debated shocker (always kinda liked him, plus electro is kinda pricey) and am looking high & low for the recent non-MCU mysterio, but man this lizard is cool & would fit perfectly. ive seen him for about $60 i wanna say, so no time soon.

F1PEOIZ.jpg

aleksei here is awesome, but even more pricey, so yeah, unless he shows up in a set, prolly not as likely

so yeah, eyeing those - what about y'all? 

also wanted to ask: which characters do you think are long overdue for BAF's (or just deluxe releases)?  for me, i don't know how it'd work, but we really need some of the abstracts: eternity, living tribunal etc could be so cool.

3 hours ago, The NZA said:

best buy sells legends?  damn, ive been checking all the walgreens/gamestops out here, didn't even think of them.  or do they mostly do it online?

so i'd been meaning to ask: does this happen often? like, a BAF gets repackaged down the road?  cause the recent Juggernaut one is the only one i think i've seen, and i wish it'd happen more honestly. . .

Yup, BB sells toys in store, which is where you need to check regularly if you want to catch any discounted figs. They usually don't go down more then $3-5 off initial retail though.

They started in 2018 repackaging BAF figs in special two-packs. And I don't see that trend stopping in 2020. BAFs I know of thus far that've been repackeged are Age of Ultron Hulkbuster, Thanos, an Juggernaut. Giant-Man from Civil War is coming sometime this year--maybe October? Amazon has an exclusive Days of Future Past comic book version of a Sentinel along w/ a Wolverine, but it's about $100 with tax. @Newtype can correct me if I missed any, but that's it for now on the repackaged BAFs that are out.

I have the Lizard & Apocalypse BAFs. Lizard is damn near perfect. Such a great fig. Apocalypse is flawed though--he definitely needed to be bigger and have an alternate head sculpt. So frustratingly close to being what you'd want. But he's a must have for the X-Men display. I feel the same way about Mr. Sinister in the current line. He's not a BAF, but an iconic 90s villain that just misses the mark from the comics. Apocalypse I found pretty easily at retail, but that Lizard BAF was a bitch to complete. I ended up finding that Mysterio figure in a Disney Store. The package was beat to fucking hell, but I didn't mind as I definitely wanted him displayed next to my Doc Ock. 

That Rhino is a sweet figure, but he was out before I really got in to collecting Legends. I hoped he'd be reissued in 2020, but it doesn't look like it.

• Thanks 1

On 8/15/2019 at 12:10 AM, Mr. Hakujin said:

Yup, BB sells toys in store, which is where you need to check regularly if you want to catch any discounted figs. They usually don't go down more then $3-5 off initial retail though.

thank you for this, hakus!  on the way back from an appointment yesterday, i passed by 3 best buys and got all the rest of the line for $13/each! guess they're dumping them...well, all except the googly eyed symbiote i'd passed on before, but i found fisk's heads for a fair price on ebay last night, so he'll be complete next week! 

meanwhile, group shot

R04ObJX.jpg

gonna check those disney stores i'd been passing on before as well, gotta be a 2nd beat up mysterio somewhere :LOL:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Do you guys have any recommendations for bases? I have a couple crappy ones. For the most part my figs can stand up fine, but I have a pretty meaty Venom and Carnage that just don't have the footing and would benefit from a decent base.

man, that's a good question.  i'm almost done with my x-men lineup and some of them can't stand up for shit.

this one facebook group im in for marvel legends shows some, i should ask where to get em - ive a few (play-arts yakuza, revoltech magneto) and they're all just clear bendy-arm stand-up pieces that fit into pegs in the figures' backs, but im noticing not all legends have said holes, so some might be tricky.  i mean, ive got sinister basically propped up by the moon knight statue, and that fabulous bastard still falls alla time. 

another thing that i thought was cool was people doing their own props for effects - ill dig up pics, but there's some that have radar circles coming off daredevil and prof x, or small lightning bolts off spidey's head for his peter-sense.  i love details like that!

you know what i don't love? scouring every walgreens i see for a dani moonstar.  no, i don't want a loli magick, thank you, but i'm so glad you have 23 of those

• 2 weeks later...

If y'all were sleeping on those 80th Aniv. Alex Ross Marvel Legends, Wal-Mart has them as on sale as low as $5 in some places! I picked mine up for $15 each on sale, and I thought that was a good deal. 

On 10/1/2019 at 9:57 PM, Axels said:

Do you guys have any recommendations for bases? I have a couple crappy ones. For the most part my figs can stand up fine, but I have a pretty meaty Venom and Carnage that just don't have the footing and would benefit from a decent base.

Like most things, Amazon is your friend for this. I bought some Neca stands a while back and have had mixed results. They're for 6"-8" figs and have a 3.5" diameter clear base. Pros: sturdy, thick base; come 8 to a pack; reasonably priced. Cons: diameter of the base is so large that it inhibits displaying multiple figs with with stands next to each other; only one peg per base.

Also, the peg hole on some figs isn't deep enough for the pegs on these bases, so it doesn't really do the trick. Right now I've got a Marvel Legends Sinister & Jubilee, the new Mattel/DC Alfred, and a Harley Quinn fig using these stands w/out problems.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Stilly, those are great looking figs in the packaging. I dig how the windows are in the shape of their helmets/masks. Please tell me though that they come with a buildable DJ booth & turntables--or at least laptops. 😉

Had a decent sized toyshow in my area this past weekend and I did some Legends & SW Black Series trading. Also picked up a few Legends online through Amazon sales this month. They had $10-15 bucks off the Cap/Peggy set and  the Magneto & Kids three pack. (I have a hunch those will also be BF deals next week, so keep a look out if interested in those figs.)  I also grabbed the comic book Loki from the Prof. Hulk BAF wave and the final figure I needed to complete my M'Baku BAF for $10 ea on that same sale. I found a Pepper/Mandarin IM3 3-pack on sale from a UK vendor as well. And I did a pre-order back in August for the re-soliciting of the Legends Homecoming Iron Man & Spidey 2-pack from BigBadToyStore, which just shipped last week. So hopefully that arrives before Christmas. BBTS really are garbage compared to Amazon w/ shipping speed and updates, but then again, most sites are. AZN Prime really has spoiled us.

I'm waiting until Black Friday to see if the online retailers do deals on the "Bro-Thor" BAF wave. I got a good deal on the Sauron BAF wave that way last year--from Megalopolis, I think. The Demogoblin BAF looks nice, but old school Toomes Vulture is the only fig I rally want outta that line.

That FF wave that's coming in January though looks fuckin sweet. The Skrull BAF is especially nice. If you want just certain figs outta that line then I recommend holding off a few weeks or so until after it drops b/c a lot of collectors on other sites are talking about buying two waves so they can have both the Skrull & Super Skrull displayed. So individual/loose figs from that wave will likely be plenty and cheap.

MEL15Sb.jpg

I don't think Thing will drop in price too much though. Most people will want a second or third Thing for those additional heads that came witht he Walgreens Exclusive Thing a year or so back. I am hoping that fig drops in price though. Maybe the best Legends fig yet, but the secondary market on that one is stupid expensive. Like, right from the get go those figs were $30 online. Now they're $80 or so on sleazebay. I just lucked up and knew a guy who travels daily for work, and he literally hits up 3-4 Walgreens a day; so I got Surfer & Thing for cost.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
  • Upvote 1