Hondo's Bar

Ask Benny

Benz

Among other things.

Luther's Sin was much higher than his problem with the Maccabees. He also had a major problem with the selling of indulginces, and thought that none of the books in the Bible written in Greek were divinely inspired. He felt there was too much corruption within the Church.

On some things, he was absolutely correct, and the Church did infact change. On others, the Church disagreed with him.

Again, Luther's Sin was not his dissent, but the fact that he left the Church and took others with him. Again, if a family has a problem, you don't break from the family, you work within the family to find peace. Pride and the breaking of unity were Luther's sins.

It is also important to note that at his deathbead, Luther confessed, and died a Catholic.

Also, I believe the question was how the Nicean Council came to the decision to include the books that they included, and exclude the ones that they did. For that, I really have to look into it and ask people. That's a VERY loaded question, which I do not have the answer to lol.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, Jax, the opposing argument is the one that's gripping the Doctor's of the Church.

How can a priest council a married couple, or a father, if he himself isn't married and has no children? Experience is the number one teacher. That's one of the big arguments currently going on in the Church.

I really do believe that within the next Decade we will see a shift in the RCC, one which will certaintly see the end of the vow of celebicy in diocesan priests. I do not think it'll be in the Papacy of Benedict XVI. But I could be wrong. Let's see what happens.

the setup:

i've read a some arguments from a the protestant community (some stem from reports of Catholics who have 'converted' and the reasons they gave) that the RCC uses guilt and scare tactics to corner and subjugate their followers. critics state that the importance placed on confessions is at fault. critics of confessing one's sins to a priest state that these acts cause followers to feel increasingly remorseful for not being 'perfect' and that the unease of not knowing whether one is saved between confessions leads Catholics to increasing bouts of inner turmoil which can only be relieved through the vicious cycle of confession and penance, it's akin a heroin or crack addict using to get rid of the horrific pains of not being on the drug... if you get me... anyhow....

so now the questions:

did you understand that at all? lol (i'm really tired so i did my best to make it coherent)

what is your take on these arguments against the RCC and do you feel that this is even the case?

why are some ex-Catholics giving these reports? is there a problem that needs to be addressed within those communities, or within the entire church?

maybe more later...

Since the middle ages there has been a great problem specifically concerning the sacrament of reconciliation.

the RCC uses guilt and scare tactics to corner and subjugate their followers.

This is not the fault of the RCC as a whole. There are some priests out there that take things to an unhealthy extreem, and I can cite of few of those cases personally. But it's an individual thing, not something condoned by the Church as a whole.

critics state that the importance placed on confessions is at fault. critics of confessing one's sins to a priest state that these acts cause followers to feel increasingly remorseful for not being 'perfect' and that the unease of not knowing whether one is saved between confessions leads Catholics to increasing bouts of inner turmoil which can only be relieved through the vicious cycle of confession and penance, it's akin a heroin or crack addict using to get rid of the horrific pains of not being on the drug... if you get me... anyhow....

These critics tend to not like the entire act to begin with, and project their own feelings when citing their allegations. Some people feel remorseful not so much for the sin they've committed, but for being caught, not being perfect, whatever the case may be. The fault here doesn't lay with confession, as that individuals problems would still be there confession or no confession.

As for the crack addict bit: it's simple. When I confess, I feel better, like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders. It's a good feeling. Many people feel the same way. Is it addicting? I don't think in the clinical sense of the term, but it's defenitely a way I'd like to feel (ya know, feeling good).

They're problem with it, most of the time, tend to be petty and unfounded. These aren't arguments of pros or cons as much as they are 'i don't like it cos i felt bad' bit.

Doing things that one isn't proud of bears heavily on one's concious, and they often lash out at others when they are forced to confront these problems. This, I think, is one of those situations.

• 3 weeks later...
No.

Christian clerics, in the Early Church all the way to and passed the Nicean Council allowed for Priests to marry. In fact, most priests were married with Children.

Now, after the fall of the Roman Empire and the onset of the Dark Ages, the Church, out of nessesity, changed this and implemented celebacy and chastity. (actually, this is one of the reasons, one of the main reasons)

Because there were no more Roman Legions protecting the roads and towns that littered the European country side, being a priest became a life threatining position.

The Church decided it would be easier to send a priest with no family to, say, war torn Brittania on his own than it would be to relocate him and his entire family.

Dude, that's really interesting. I never looked at it from that perspective before. Cool.

It is important to note that Augustine was married with children.

Huh. I always thought he had a mistress and bastards, but was in fact celibate. Once again, cool to know. Also interesting to point out that Augustine had serious mommy issues, which are probably related to his overt misogyny.

I really like your take on the RCC for the most part arch. It's logical and open-minded, but true to the doctrines etc. I still don't agree with the church on many many issues, but its nice to see one of its congregation with such a good perspective on how it works.

• 11 months later...

Could this be the theme song?

Hey!

What makes a man?

Is it the power in his hands?

Is it his quest for glory?

Give it all you got

To fight to the top

So we can know your story

Now you're a man (MAN!)

A man, man, man

Now you're a man (MAN!)