Hondo's Bar

The Passion of Christ

's a fair point from Jax, nothing's certain no matter how good your resume. Id be tempted to see it, but yeah i imagine itd be like an odd slent film. Even beyond Braveheart, i rather liked his performance in Hamlet, so i think he coudl handle it. Wait, is he playing christ?

No he's not, if you read the article, it said that when Mel started acting in his 20s he swore there were two things he'd never do: Play himself or play Jesus. He did play himself on the Simpsons though ??? . But no, he's not playing Jesus. And you know why yhou enjoyed Hamlet, IC? Because you understand English! This is definitely risky on Mel's part. Either history will see this as the world's ballsiest of stupidest moves of all time. We shall see.

Heh, I love this kinda shit. It's cool when somebody has enough money and popularity to do something completely fuckin crazy. I'll be first in line to see this, should be cool. I want more wacky experimentation from people. I hate when people reach that level of fame and stick to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy. I want these people to take a wacky idea and run with it! Ya know what'd be really crazy? If the film were fuckin 12 hours long! Heh, this is what hollywood needs, a bunch of wacked out directors goin around being too creative for their own good. So, yeah, I think this is pretty cool, it could suck ass, but at least it would suck ass because it was too ambitious, not because they just didnt try.

12 hours? fuck, that's a mini-series, not a movie. There was some robert deniro film in the seventies that was over 5 hours. Forget what it's called. But yeah, experimentation is cool, but there's gotta be balance. I hope this call pull off what it's setting out to do.

Speaking of Deniro, he's kinda the opposite of gibson. Gibson starts out with lethal weapon and is now doing all latin and aramaic jesus film, and deniro starts with taxi driver and raging bull and that kinda shit in the seventies and is doing stuff comedies with eddie murphy today.

I dunno, gypsy dont have a feel for the way we got everything laid out yet. It'd be cool if IC or someone would move this to movies. Ideally you guys would post this sort of stuff in the movie news thread, for future reference, unless you want a full topic on it, ala Jack's boondock II thread :D

Haha...Jax arguing for thread control, sweet irony....

Saw a news report on this one last nite, nothin new, just that Gibson truly believes the performance will "transcend language". Do kinda agree with Junker, i think its cool when big names diversify a bit - was cool to see De Niro in comedies, especially as far back as Brazil, that was my favorite cameo ive seen him do. Pacino's recent Simone was fun as well...anyway the idea's innovative enough where ill try to catch it early on, regardless of what critics say of it.

• 5 months later...

I'm sure a lot of you have heard about this one, by now, but it deserves a topic, I think. Mel Gibson is in the midst of shooting his latest movie. But how can he top the greatest of his last flick, Braveheart? By pulling off one of the most ambitious film projects of all time (with the possible exception of the recent Russian Ark). He's going to make a movie about the last hours of Jesus Christ. And get this, for realism's sake, the entire thing is being filmed in Latin and Aramaic - with no subtitles. Gibson believes (probably correctly) that the visuals will break through the language gap. Now there's a helluva project. But who is ever going to put that in theatres? A movie in a different language, with no subtitles, and an NC-17 rating? Yes, NC-17. The graphic violence planned for this movie will make Braveheart look like Baby's Day Out. Gibson is determined to portray the crucifixation of Christ with gut-wrenching accuracy (that's Catholic accuracy, not historic or scientific accuracy, granted, but still). It's going to be painfully hard for anyone to watch. So, I dunno, is he a genius? Or is he insane? Or maybe both?

Edited by Silent Bob

True, this was a topic in Current Events but only on the idea.

For one - im not sure why everyone assumes once a writer/director/musician does their opus everythin else must be compared to it, but Bob might be right if that's Mel's intention here.

Im curious as hell. Spent too much time in the church, heard bout this story ad nauseum (sp) but this take is somethin else...if a few folks are down for givin it a go, id prolly be up for it. Any details on co-stars, epic length, etc? Honestly, the idea of using defunct lanugages with no subs & hopin the acting conveys the message...that's bold. I think Mel did really well in Hamlet considering American actors are usually duanted from English Shakespear performances, but he really shined, i thought, so if he's the one to give this thing a go, im up for seein it. NC-17...that flailing's gonna be graphic.

Actually Mel's not in it. Christ is being portrayed by Jim Caviezel (The Count of Monte Cristo, Frequency, and yes, A Thin Red Line). Mel didn't want to star in it. He didn't want to star in Braveheart, either, but the studio wouldn't buy it unless he was in it. This one he's paying for pretty much himself. The only other actor I recognize is Monica Bellucci (Tears of the Sun, the upcoming Matrix sequels). The rest seem to be all European actors, and local actors (he's filming it in Italy).

And yes, if Mel is going to make it as graphically realistic as he keeps telling people he will, that will be an NC-17 flailing. We're talking about a guy who was beaten with a cane until he was covered in bruises. Had his beard ripped out of his face. Had thorns shoved onto his head until he bled so much he couldn't see. Flogged with a whip made of leather with pieces of broken glass and metal embedded in it until his back more closely resembled hamburger meat than it did human flesh. Then had a large piece of metal hammered into his feet, and each wrist (though Mel's version shows the nails going through his hands - as I said Catholically [i'm making that a word] but not historically accurate). And finally had a sword shoved through his side. Even Braveheard wasn't that graphic.

Edited by Silent Bob

Didnt know that about Braveheart, interestin...you know who he had in mind for the role of Wallace, then?

As for the graphic ending, itll be interestin to see...but please dont sweat the details & get Benny in here on dogma or this thread'll have nothin to do with movies, catholically.

Yeah, we talked about this one in the movie news thread when it first got announced. Didn't know it'd be NC-17 tho. I love the idea, I'll be first in fuckin line. Gibson's gone stark-raving mad, and I wanna be there when people start walkin out of the theater! Could be fuckin great, I don't know how skilled Mel is behind the camera tho. I mean, braveheart was amazing, but that was very functional, utilitarian, non-stylish directing. I wonder if he should experiment more with cool visual shit before he makes a movie that is essentially withpout dialogue. Then again, maybe he's doin his homework and it'll be good, I for one love this crazy experimental shit, I cant wait.

is he a genius? Or is he insane? Or maybe both?

To quote Jonathan Pryce's charater from Tomorrow Never Dies: "The difference between genius and insanity is measured only by success."

This will either be one of the greatest movies ever made or a phenominal disaster.

Mel Gibson said that when he started acting, he promised himself there where two roles he would never play: Jesus Christ and Himself. Of course, he played himself on The Simpsons, but I guess he figured voice acting doesn't count.

Sidenote: Jax, its just the skin in this board. Look around..if you see a skin you, Junker & everyone think would be better in here, lemme know over in Stonehenge.

When does this flick come out again? Oh, just noticed Bob's comment on this being Gibson's opus...shoulda guessed that by what ive heard of his personal politics recently. All i know is, ill try to go into this one fair, ya know? Not looking for a "braveheart killer" or anythin like that, ill take this thing for itself...he's gonna have a hard enough time if this flick is really that lenghthy and still relies on emotions to convey the message.

• 1 month later...

Yup, heard about this one. I'll go see it with you guys. Don't worry, I won't be like "Aw, this and that and the other thing were such heresy!" I trust Mel Gibson. He's very orthodox. This'll be the most historically and othodox movie about Chirst ever made! (Yes, Silent Bob, Catholic accuracy = Historical accuracy. Jesus Seminar and Discovery channel however= A bunch of guys that vote on sayings with colored marbles, and include the Gospel of Thomas, never in any Christian Biblical canon of scripture for the last 2000 years, and well known as a "Gnostic Gospel".

...but please dont sweat the details & get Benny in here on dogma...

Don't worry, I'll stay focused on the movie itself.

Edited by SSJ4Benny