Hondo's Bar

Identity

Just got out of a free screening of this provided by FIU, and this one is fun fun fun. I was expecting something much more serious, but I'm pretty happy with what I got. As far as plot goes, I'll just reveal the premise, a buncha people end up in a motel due to random circumstances and have to stay the night, people start dying one by one. It ends up being a helluvalot different from what you expect, you really can't accuse this one of being predictable.

As far as the acting goes, Cusack carries the movie as surely as Atlas carries the heavens. He's got enough presence to fill ten motels, and the movie wouldn't be nearly as good without him. With the exception of Liotta, who does a great job, the rest of the cast is just sort of there. They're all tolerable though... except for Amanda Peet. This woman needs to like... not make movies. She couldn't act her way out of a Calvin Klein commercial and even with slick direction and sparse dialogue from her character, she still manages to annoy me with really flat, shitty delivery of her lines. Get this woman out of my movies!

Direction and writing were solid. Now when I say the writing was solid I don't mean that the movie is plausable and makes all kinds of sense. But the writing was very twisty turny and fun. Not too hard to follow, however long the leaps in logic were. It was directed like any other movie, nothing special, but uh, the guy didnt fuck up the script, so there's a lot to be said for that. It even managed to be a bit scary at points, a couple of tense moments really had me smiling.

All in all, the main word here is fun. Not as serious as the previews make it out to be, but I'm real glad that the trailers didn't spoil anything. About as netertaining as a movie can get, it's not a gem that I'll force people to watch and buy on DVD and all of this, but I think it's well worth the price of admission, and perfect to watch with a group.

Guest Yahve

Towards the beginning there is so much craziness going on that it just bleeds 10 little indians. The film is great fun to watch and get carried away by. My favourite aspect is the awesome camera use, I felt as if I were on a Disney ride, very fit for the film. It does rely somewhat heavily on screensize so its a theater thing.

Rating: Group Theater Pay

huh? spiffy, dont be so quick to judge... ya sound like you've seen it already. Yahve's dead on in saying that it starts off like an agatha christie remake. Hmm, and now that I think about it, I can't say much about the camera use cause my ass was sitting in the front row, I think I remember one really good sort of tracking shot where it glided through what all the characters were doing, but damned if I could be a good judge of it from up there.

oh... didn't mean it like that.... was just warning yall about house on haunted hill. i'm all up on checking this out. sounds good, cause writing and direction is a plus. unlike house on haunted hill... oh yeah, if you don't already know... house on haunted hill sucks.

Eh, its goes for some scares, but it's not a horror movie, so it's not all that scary. Don't let that keep you from seeing it tho. That's like saying "I heard the Shawshank Redemption Wasn't scary, so I'm not gonna bother seeing it." The point of the moive isn't really to be scary, tho some parts had the audience jumping a bit. Fun, fun movie tho.

oh, and unidentified source, do try to make the effort to find out if we started a thread for stuff already.... I'll try to merge this topic with the thread we have about identity

Edited by JunkerSeed

Payed to see Phone Booth and on my way out I saw Identity was seating. Decided to watch it. Everything people have said is true, kinda like a standard thriller, but witha twist that makes it truely interesting and original and unlike any other thriller that it looks like at the beginning. Good shit! It's on my list of DVDs to buy upon release. 4 1/2 stars out of 5.