Hondo's Bar

The Italian Job

Marky Mark Wahlberg has declared his most recent movie - The Italian Job (opening this Friday) - to be the best film he's ever done! And that's coming from the same guy who was in Planet of the Apes, The Truth About Charlie and Rockstar, so how could it be wrong?

On the other hand, Ed Norton wants it known that he's only in this movie for contractual obligations, not by choice.

Still, it actually looks kinda like a fun movie. So, I dunno, does anyone really want to go see a movie that Marky Mark praises and Ed Norton condemns?

Actually, he's just complaining that he has to spend his time earning a few mil for this movie when he could be earning a few mil for a better movie. Hey, I don't really blame him. The guy's got a near spotless resume, so far. If this one bombs...

Well "condemned" was an exagerration, I guess. He just wanted to make sure it was known that he did this movie only because of his contract, not because he chose to. I heard it a while back when The Italian Job was just starting production, but I'll try to find the quotes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought it was pretty cool. I saw it cause I was bored and I don't really regret it. You're not gonna write home about it, or reccomend it to all of your friends, but it was pretty fun and clever. It's a relatively fun heist movie, so you should go for it if you like the heist stuff. With summer movies being encompassed by like 5 huge blockbusters, this one ain't too bad to tide you over as filler.

Now, marky mark saying it's his best movie is a straight up insult to boogie nights and three kings. Especially when one of the things I really didn't like about this one was his performance. Normally I think Mark Walberg is a fine actor, but here he really sounds rehearsed. Oh, and I can see ed norton bitching about his part. Anybody could have played his part. He was just a typical villain that might as well have had a curly moustache. Norton is only in this movie to boost ticket sales, his skills are ignored.

Edited by JunkerSeed

Nope, never saw the original, but if the original was worth remembering after these many years, then no, I'm sure it wasn't an improvement at all. Noone's gonna remember this remake in 5 years let alone double digits.

Edited by JunkerSeed

• 3 weeks later...

I heard there are like fisticuffs in it, stuff like that. The charm of the original was the complete lack of violence, just mini-racing silliness aound Turin. Also heard it is set in L.A. so whats with the title Italian Job ? :D

Also th original has one of the greatest movie endings of ALL TIME...

Hold on lads, I have an idea

Great soundtrack too.

It's a self preservation society...

Currently on order from Amazon:

3 mini coopers

3 fast cars

:approve: