Hondo's Bar

Comic book: the movie

Heh, sounds like Bendis' "Fortune & Glory"..courtesy of Comic Book Resources.com...

Last week Comics2Film/CBR News gave you the scoop on Comic Book the Movie: a mockumentary about a comic-to-film adaptation. The film is directed by genre fave Mark Hamill and turns the camera on an irate comic fan who watches in helpless dismay as Hollywood ruins his favorite character.

Now fans can get a glimpse of the movie at the website for Creative Light Entertainment, the producers of the movie. The international sales trailer is now online. A U.S. trailer is being prepared, but this clip gives fans the first glimpse of the movie.

In last week's report C2F/CBR News was the first to reveal that the movie is strong enough to attract Miramax as a distributor. Today, Variety follows up on the news and provides additional details.

The distribution of "CB:TM" is part of an overall first-look production and distribution deal between Miramax Films and Creative Light Entertainment. Plans are to release Hamill's movie this fall.

In addition to directing the film, Hamill also stars as the fan who rushes to his hero, Commander Courage's, defense. Donna D'Errico ("Baywatch") also appears as the actress who takes on the role of Commander Courage's boy sidekick (hey, Hollywood loves to tinker) in the movie.

With much of the footage filmed at last summer's Comic-Con in San Diego, the movie also features appearances by Sid Caesar, Stan Lee, Kevin Smith, Bruce Campbell, Hugh Hefner and Matt Groening.

"CB:TM" was produced by Scott Zakarin, Eric Mittleman, Hamill, Roger Rose, Billy West and Jess Harnell for Creative Light and Amazing Invisible Ink. Executive producers are Rich Tackenberg and Peter Jaysen.

courageposter.jpg

That's awesome! I love mockumentaries! I hope Mark Hamill can make a good example of the genre almost entirely recognized as Rob Reiner's schtick. This sounds like a great idea that is almost certain to be at worst mildly amusing to fanboys or at best the best thing since This Is Spinal Tap. I'm off to download the trailer!

I'm not siure how happy we should be...

Fact: Mockumentaries usually make fun of their subjects

Fact: The subject here is a comic fan.

Still...

I'm sure Hamil knows his future money making ability depends on keeping his fanbase happy (and then again he might just be pissed off enough at being pigeonholed into sci-fi-fanboy crap that he's out for revenge).

Also, I suppose they could make fun of idiot movie producers: "I want superman to kill people like he did in the old days" (!)

This sounds fuckin great. I can't wait for it. It sounds a lot like the stuff that Bruce Campbell did for his book and the documentary he made for the evil dead dvd. if anyone knows about fanboys, it's Mark Hamill. I just hope he has as good a sense of humor as Bruce Campbell when it comes to this stuff. And yeah, I thought Christopher Guest was the mockumentary guy, he's directed lots of great ones and he starred in Spinal Tap, which was mostly made great by the actors' improvisations. Anyways, this sounds cool, dling the trailer as I type.

I'm not siure how happy we should be...

Fact: Mockumentaries usually make fun of their subjects

Fact: The subject here is a comic fan.

But mockumentaries make fun in a way people enjoy. Like The Comic Book guy from The Simpsons. He's the epitome of every hardcore Simpsons fan, but Simpsons fans love him. Most fanboys enjoy laughing at themselves if it's all in good fun. I saw the trailer and this movie looks liek fun. Hehe...Captain Courage.

Rob Reiner? The only mockumentary he's done was Spinal Tap. C'mon, give Christopher Guest his credit.

You're right. I heard about the connection between Spinal Tap and Best In Show and A Mighty Wind and I guess I assumed it was Rob Reiner's work.

Edited by Jack's Meandering Thoughts

• 2 years later...