Hondo's Bar

The Streets and Dizzee Rascal

MyLeakyBucket

I dedicate this topic to everything British and great in the musical world.

Just bought the new Dizzee Rascal album, Showtime, yesterday and blew my socks off with just one listen. While Boy in da Corner was great, this is just so much better its unreal.

As for The Streets newest release, A grand don't come for free this is one hell of a concept album for people who don't like concept albums. The themes of loneliness, loss of trust and bitterness running through this album make it that much poignant than Mike Skinner's debut Original Pirate Material.

I urge every American to consider seeking out these albums if you haven't already as they present the best music to be coming out of Britain at this moment in time (and at least until the new Idlewild album hits the shops :D ).

If you are not familiar with either of these artists, they are both London hip hop/garage acts that put the likes of Craig David to shame. Rather than chatting simply about guns and bitches (which most english people can't relate to) they talk about British life far more acurately. While being on the other side of the Atlantic, sticking on one of these CDs kinda transports me back. I miss the pubs! :D

The virgin megastore I just visited in Boston had a whole shelf dedicated to the Best of British so no excuses for not taking a look. Good luck.

What other Brit music are people listening to??

What other Brit music are people listening to??

I don't know if you guys like em, but I'm a big fan of Craig David (Nick's a fan too)! Back in 2000, when I was serving in Kuwait, the British Air-Force guys put me on to him and even got me the CD striaght from London!! I was the first (that I knew of) in the States to have that album!!

I apologise but I just can't enjoy Craig David. His stuff is played really often on UK radio and just kind of grates on the ears after a while. Thats just my opinion though, he does have a huge following so can't argue that everyone feels the same way I do.

As for Dizzee Racal, give 'Stand Up Tall', 'I luv U', 'Jus a Rascal' and 'Graftin' a go I reckon.

And as for ther Streets, from his new album, 'Blinded by the Lights' is absolutely essential listening.

If anyone decides to DL some of this stuff, make sure you come back and give a review :D

Yeah, i can see that...cap'ns right, i really enjoyed "born to do it" and his acoustic stuff....but then again, it didnt get play here like it prolly did there.

I mean, you guys might still think Usher is alright; weve killed his music over here.

So, uh, speakin of bad pop...never mind the bollocks, what's up with the sugarbabes?

• 3 years later...

Archived