Hondo's Bar

Reign of Fire

Well, this one looks to be one of the really wild cards this summer for me. Most of my picks have been dead on. Epi2 was a bit better than I had orignally guessed, but other than that, I've guess right about most of this summer's movies (of the one's I've seen). Now here's Reign of Fire. This movie looks like it has a lot of potential. Potential to be really bad, or really good. It been a while since there's been a good Dragon movie (D&D and Dragonheart come to mind), but does that just mean one's finally due?

Anyway, anyone in the Miami area interested in an outing this weekend for it (comes out Friday)?

*Spoilers (sorta)*

Well, I saw this one yesterday. Not bad. Cewrtainly no classic, but it was no waste of six bucks or two hours. It didn't try to be funny and cute when it didn't feel appropriate (like Dragonheart or Dungeons and Dragons). Special effects were great (duh). Unlike Dragonheart or Dungeons and Dragons, this takes place not in a mythological world or or a fantasy land, but in the Earth we know it. The story begins in 2008, when the dragons first appear, and quickly moves to 2020 (those commercials that said it took place in 2056 were dead wrong, and that kind of incompetence is just unforgivalbe). Fortunately, the story was present in a very believable way, considering this sort of thing has been doen in very ludicrous fashions before. There was far more empathsis on the human struggle than on the dragons themselves. It was interesting how it showed that, despite everything humanity had gone through at that point, human nature still allowed for strife, disagreement, and resentment, as apposed to the ID4 angle, in which if humanity was faced with a catastrophotic event, it would band together as works as a team.

I would recommend it, but I'm not putting my ultimate seal of approval on it, with my guartantee that it is great and you will like it (I do so for Fight Club, The Matrix, Election, American Beauty, Spy Kids, etc). Sounds to me like Road to Perdition is better though. Haven't seen that one, but seems like it's one that desires your attention first.

That fact is sort useless unless you actually met him. Unless fact: I've been to where they shot Seven Years in Tibet (which was shot in Tierra Del Fuego, Argentina, not Tibet). And I've been to the place in the Amazon whre the shot Anaconda, which, I'm told, sucks hard. Hooray for useless facts!

• 3 weeks later...

Useless facts...i'm fulla them!

I've met Pierce Brosnan (Bond, James Bond) as he is a Navanite, (from My hometown) i met him when he got the freedom of the town, nice guy!

I've been to where they filmed the beach landing sequence in Saving Private Ryan, which was in Ireland. Also to where they filmed Braveheart (the York Castle Sequence!)

Reign of Fire is the most expensive film shot in Ireland according to the press!!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, after all the hype, i finally decided to go see this mother, my verdict, an honorable 7/10.

Why a 7 (Too much? Too little?), well the idea, is while rediculous, is actually pretty original, dragons flaming the world to death, with the aid of nuclear holocaust kinda. The effects are top notch, fucking that big bastard is well fucking done, very good cgi. Things that spoiled the film for me, was there was not enough dragon action, the dialogue was extremely suspect in places ("I lead, you follow!!") and the ending, i mean, what the fuck happened those 1000 or so dragons that were shitting on the houses of parliament!? Huh?! was that overlooked to get it into the 90 genre! Poor ending, but did i feel robbed of my € 13, no, it was good. Plus the location was ideal!! :D

€ 13

Whoa. You guys pay more for EVERYTHING over there, jeesh!

As far as the ending goes, the dragons would all die without oppurtunity to repopulate, that's what would happen to all those dragons.

thought it was the worst movie I saw all summer

Sounds to me like SOMEONE didn't get a chance to see Undercover Brother. Or XXX. Or Blue Crush. Or....

€ 13

Nah, it's not that bad, it's just that this poor sap has to pay in for the missus too!

and the ending, i mean, what the fuck happened those 1000 or so dragons that were shitting on the houses of parliament!?

*SPOILERS*I think they all fucked off to escape from the male, he did eat one of them, either that or they went to look for food. It was a bit of an anti-climax but a strong final fight made up for a lot of that. Love the Star Wars bit! *SPOILERS*

Overall I thought it was one of the better summer blockbusters I'd seen, good plot, action, acting, and I thought that the way the survivors behaved was quite realistic given the (surreal) situation. I'd probably give it a 7 or 8.

€ 13

Nah, it's not that bad, it's just that this poor sap has to pay in for the missus too!

Oh, Ok then, € 13 for two people is fine (especially if it was an evening show).

PS Hehe, Quote inside a quote inside a quote. Is nothing sacred?

€ 13

Oh, Ok then, € 13 for two people is fine (especially if it was an evening show).

I wonder how many quotes this thing can take!

€ 13

I mean how long until the computer crashes or your eyes bleed...or both!

€ 13

You have now found yourself, trapped in the incomprehensible maze.

€ 13

This can't go on forever. What happens at like 100 interwoven quotes?

€ 13

I have no idea...

€ 13

I have no idea...

...let's keep quoting...

€ 13

I have no idea...

...let's keep quoting...

...and we'll find out.

€ 13

I have no idea...

...let's keep quoting...

...and we'll find out.

Three quote replies in a row. that's just gratuatous! No two-in-a-row quotes for this. Be patient!

€ 13

I have no idea...

...let's keep quoting...

...and we'll find out.

Three quote replies in a row. that's just gratuatous! No two-in-a-row quotes for this. Be patient!

Way to fuck it up IC! Just play along. We wanna see what happened when it gets ludicrously high.

€ 13

I have no idea...

...let's keep quoting...

...and we'll find out.

Way to fuck it up IC! Just play along. We wanna see what happened when it gets ludicrously high.

Just an experiment Nick, when we finish up we'll go back to talking about that dragon movie, but for now...