Hondo's Bar

Super Size Me

Benz

I just finished watching this movie. Wow! Awesome! I had no idea that fast food could do so much damage to you in such a short amount of time! Not only that, but it really was an eye opener as to how the industry operates in congress.

I'm thinking about going and buying this one. It wasn't just a bunch of information either, some of the scenes were funny. Oh, and if you already saw it in theatres, rent it because there's new stuff on there.

Seriously folks, this is a must see. :D

Oh, and this is the reason why McDonalds eliminated their Super Size, and why they have the Go Active! Adult Happy Meals now.

Its funny cause I think the elimination of supersizing on the menu helped them out more... if the supersize isn't available, then its more likely the customer will just order another to get more/ ordering more with two orders of fries rather than a supersize version and spending more money...

yea after i watched that i went to in and out the next day... mmm that was good.

fakename.

fn - Yeah, I think you're right. I mean, I'm not all that sure getting rid of the Super Size was a great idea. I miss the bathtub of Coke. Whatever happened to the Bucket o' fries Size? (For those that don't know that was a real size in FL) Ah well, the movie got me thinkin about eating healthy and getting some exercise. I'm about 210 now, which ain't bad for a guy 6' 2", but still, I could be better.

Another thing - these Fast Food places should have healthy choices, I mean the salads are OK. Nothing spectacular, but with certain dressing, they're worse than eating a Big Mac. These places need to do better about health, and the only motivators seem to be the Atkins Diet, and this film. In other words, money. The poor can't help but eat at these places, and it leaves them with no choice. Sad really.

i saw this movie in the theaters. i thought it was pretty good. there were a few pacing problems i think and they spelled miami wrong on the map but overall it was pretty informative (and scary...like when they compared his liver to that of an alcoholic) and there were some funny moments. as far as the super size menu is concerned, i heard that you can still order super sized items but that mcdonalds just isn't advertising or asking anymore. but i haven't actually tried it out so i'm not sure if that's true or not.

i saw this movie in the theaters. i thought it was pretty good. there were a few pacing problems i think and they spelled miami wrong on the map but overall it was pretty informative (and scary...like when they compared his liver to that of an alcoholic) and there were some funny moments. as far as the super size menu is concerned, i heard that you can still order super sized items but that mcdonalds just isn't advertising or asking anymore. but i haven't actually tried it out so i'm not sure if that's true or not.

Ah well, the movie got me thinkin about eating healthy and getting some exercise. I'm about 210 now, which ain't bad for a guy 6' 2", but still, I could be better.

Another thing - these Fast Food places should have healthy choices, I mean the salads are OK. Nothing spectacular, but with certain dressing, they're worse than eating a Big Mac. These places need to do better about health, and the only motivators seem to be the Atkins Diet, and this film.

There's always smoothie king.

Kidding, Jax. I'm in hicksville up here, dude.

Wow, I had no idea Smoothie King was a national chain! I think the Maine one's closer. I'll have to check it out sometime if/when I'm headed up that way again. If not, then it'll just be some time before I'm back down there again... for good.

Gotta ask though, you guys make anything with any kinda nuts? I have a deadly allergy to 'em. :D

All the High Protein Smoothies (the ones named High Protein that is, there are high protein smoothie that have other names) have almonds, the Peanut Power Plus have peanut butter, and the Banana Nut Heater has almonds. Other than that, it's nut-free at Smoothie King, other than the employees and the customers.

Besides, we get plenty of hicks at smoothie king from all the body builders. When you're tryign to bulk up and be a huge muscle bound maniac, there's only so much a regular diet of meat and potatoes and liftign can do. You need protiens and supplements too.

That's too bad. I mean for me. I promise to visit n' stuff when I get back, but I can't get a smoothie there then. Too grave a danger of cross contamination.

By that I don't mean I'm afraid the place is unclean or anything. It's just... Even the most trace amount accidentally gets in my drink, and at the least it's a scary trip to the hospital. It could mean my death. So I hope you understand, m'friend, I can't have a smoothie from there... Especially not after this incident I had with cross contamination at this nice restaraunt on South Beach. I mean... I coulda literally owned the place or gotten rich from it. They offered me a job they were so scared... I'm sure it was unintentional, but it's scared me from cross contamination.

Well the peanut butter we use we keep in a fridge and take out when we use it. The almonds we use are whole, so not likely to get in to your smoothie. Plus, you watch us made it, fully capable of seeing everythign that makes its way into your drink. I can understand if you're still nervous. Of the four different kind of allergies one can have, people who are allergic to nuts are offend deadly allergic.

Yeah, thanks Jax. Heh, they have stuff like "Soy Nuts" and "Soy-nut butter" that's supposed to taste like peanuts, but obviously they're just soybeans. Even that stuff I won't eat. Just too scary, and I've had enough near-death experiences for one life time.

The last time on SoBe, when I got to the hospital, my heartrate was all over the place... 170 one minute, then literally not long after, down to 40. Normal's between 80 and 100. My legs became immediately wobbly, couldn't stand, I went deaf, so I saw my mom saying something to me, but I couldn't hear her, and my vision started to blur and darken a bit... I thought I was a goner. Scary.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw this movie recently. it's like 60 minutes... but for an hour and a half. not saying that it wasn't interesting though. it sure can make someone paranoid about fast food.

what was funny was the amount of times in texas he was asked to supersize and the statistics of texas and it's population.

don't like 60 min? don't watch this.

ps. sneaky subway!

• 2 weeks later...

I just rented this yesterday. I enjoyed it. I think it would have been boring had the main guy taken it too seriously but it was a hoot watching him smile every time he was asked if he wanted to super-size his meal.

The hamburgers go very nasty quite quickly but amazingly after about 6 weeks the McDonalds fries look almost new after this time. Seriously bad.

LOL Yeah, they still looked the same after 10 weeks. I already kinda knew this though, because well, let's just say french fries in the past have made it to the floor of my car, and stayed there for longer than 10 weeks... like about a little more than double that... and they still look the same!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Enjoyed this one, cant say much more than what's said here....perhaps LL was onto somehtin with the pacing bit, but the lighthearted nature he used for much of the documentary made it far more approachable, i think. If this kind of trend is popularized by Moore's older works, i think its an effective one, and would like to see more movies like this: some dont dig it, i think its an excellent medium to get ideas/truth out there.

By far, the most disturbing part - i gotta look this one up - was one of the Dr's, i believe, saying that of kids born in 2000, its projected that almost 60% will acquire Diabetes type 2 at some point in their lives, and the host of cardio/circulatory problems stemming from this leaves many with 16-23 or so years shaved off their lives...!

He didnt play up the analogies of the obesity thread to cigarettes & alcohol as much as i thought he might, but its a serious issue nonetheless.

Archived