Hondo's Bar

Star Wars: Episode II

*ATTENTION: THIS THREAD WILL ATTEMPT TO BE A SPOILER-FREE ZONE, BUT EVERY POST AFTER MINE...READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.*

...holy shit.

That may very well've been the best of the series so far.  Great action & visuals like usual, but solid plot to boot.

Junker says some of the acting was flat; guess the action kept me from noticin.  

Go see it when you get a chance, it really helped that it didnt need setup like Episode 1 did.  Lucas really delivered to the fans by the end of this one...you wont be disappointed.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:approve:  :approve:  :approve:  :approve:  :approve:  :approve:  :approve:  :approve:  :approve:  :approve:  :approve:

I am personally not a Star Wars fan BUT LET ME TELL YOU that I think this episode made me into one..IT WAS AWSOME at least I liked it...It didn't mingle it went straight to the point and that was that... :D

SuperEeyore, have you seen the whole trilogy (Epi 4 to 6)? Or have you only seen Epi 1? I would be surprised to hear anyone say that they'd seen the trilogy but weren't a fan until Epi 2. The only people I've known to have seen the trilogy and not like it and Christian fundamentalist who believe Star Wars and the force is new age and hence anti-god (that's not a joke, I've actually met these people). And as far as Junker's comment about the acting being flat, the trilogy was never lawrence olivia reading shakespeare. The acting wasn't flat, the dialogue was just corny. the actors couldn't help that. But as long as you remember that corny dialogue is one of the defining elements of Star Wars, you'll remember why you loved the original trilogy. Epi 2 was without a doubt leaps and bounds beyond Epi 1, but I'm certain not saying it was better than all the original ones. It will need to stand the test of time (at LEAST 1 week :D) before I can place it. Before yesterday it went #1 Empire, #2 tied SW and Jedi (actually flucuates, sometimes it's SW, sometimes it's Jedi) and #4, trailing like a no-legged horse in the Kentucy Derby, Menace. Clones could easily squeeze into the middle of the original trilogy, but I don't see it surpassing Empire. Anyway, I noticed alot of Luke in Anakin this time around (if you ever wonder how Luke got so whiny, Clones answered alot of questions). I'm just wondering if we're gonna see Darth Sidious weld a lightsaber in Epi 3. Did reading about that no-legged horse make anyone else hungry? :g

I just meant that in the prequels every one acts like they have a stick up their ass.  Sure, sure, politicians and disciplined jedis aren't supposed to sing and dance, but it'd be nice if they had personalities, not even in private do they talk as if they were actual human beings.  I've seen military movies where they speak properly in the base or whatever, and then their personalities actually come out elsewhere, I wouldn't like to beleive that jedis are stripped of individuality.  I'm pretty sure it's not the actor's faults, they have all been good in other things, but the dialogue was all just utilitarion.  I didn't think it was corny, I thought it was mechanical.  I'd say MgGreggor did the best with what he was given.  The only characters with personality are the robots and the really annoying fuck.  I'm not knocking the movie much though, I still think it was cool as hell.  Even if I was bored by the dialogue the screen was filled with incredible visuals in every shot, so it didn't matter.  The action scenes were absolutely incredible, and there were lots of them.  The last half hour was just fucking brilliant.  I don't know where I'd place it with the other ones, they're really hard to compare because they're very different movies.  But just because I didn't think it was the perfect movie doesn't mean I didn't think it was badass.  Now we have high hopes for Ep. 3, eh, gotts go, time to get in line for it....

JMT yes I have seen all the episodes...but I have never been a fan and I really think that star wars is cheesy (boy am I gonna get shit for that line) I mean it has a pretty good story line, its from a book the person that wrote the script could have gone with a better aproach but hey I have no say in what or how they write the script.. now EP2 honestly I have to say has been the best yet and I really enjoyed it as for 1 it was kinda boring and it dragged... sorry that is my opinion as for the rest it was just cheesy....

:D

I agree with Junker.

Although effects wise, we've never seen a SW movie do what this one did, the acting still was a tad bit flat... a little bit too professional at all times.

Otherwise... definitely an incredible movie and no contest b/w Ep1 and Ep2.  Ep2 hands down.

Yeah, the acting WAS flat, but I'm tryig to say that the first trilogy was't any different. id anyone ever get nominees for acting in a Star Wars film? No, of course not. It's part of the Star Wars charm! An as for SuperEeyore's opinions, that's more sad than anything else when someone can't appriciate the Star Wars trilogy  ???

P.S. Dispite seeing Epi 2 and then dicking around with you guys and finally getting home at 6:00am, I got an A on my Gen Chem exam that I have to take Thurday at 9:15am that I barely studied for.

??? what can I say I am very critical of the movies I watch.... I mean don't get me wrong I appreciate the movies I just think they are a bit cheesy... hell I stood in a line for 2 hours to see ep 2 come on if I didn't have any appriciation why would I have gone...? realisticly.. why would I have wasted my $8 dollars?? come on..

nonono, see I understand that star wars has never had shakesperean dialogue, but the original episodes had characters  and the acting was indeed better.  I'd dare you to tell me that there was a single character as likeable as han solo in the prequels.  The dialogue in the original trilogy was corny, but fun.  Han solo and princess leia had chemistry.  I cant say the same for Anakan and amidala.  seemed like they were falling in love only because the script required it.  The characters in the original were individual human beings with personalities.  Even yoda's lines were a lot better in Empire, in Ep2 they seemed forced.  If the dialogue in Ep2 were corny, and delivered with feeling, like it was in the other movies, I would have no problems.  The way I'm going on about it you'd think I didn't like the movie, but you do have to admit the characters took a huge hit in quality in the prequels.

I watched The Daily Show  the other night ad Frak DiCaro, their movie reviewer, ha some funny things to say. About Anakin and Amidala: "These two couldn't have less chemistry if they were in different movies." He also sai that "movie goers walked out of this saying it was better than Episode I, putting it among the ranks of such movies as 'Snow Dogs'!" Anyway, as to your challenge, one character more likable than Han Solo. Dare I say: Ass-kicking-triple-backing-flipping- lightsaber-of-death-whelding- makes-Wo-Ping-look-like-a-ballet-choreographer...Yoda! Nah...Han's the best. But Han will never be reproduced, so why hold these movies up to unreproducable (is that a word?) standards? That's right, because that's what we DO!

And saying the acting in Ep 4 5 & 6 was flat is not correct.  Episode 4 (Star Wars) had it's flaws... but then again it was 1978 and the average age of the main characters was around 20.... I know Leia wasn't even 19.  Episode 5 & 6 were completely different, and although dialog may have been "corny" to people who never enjoyed the theme of the movie, it was done well and with plenty of emotion and chemistry.

Here's something to think about.

Name a famous, memorable line from Episode 4, 5, or 6.

Ok, now name one from Episode 1 or 2.

The only one I can think of is Sam Jackson saying "This Party's Over."

Terrible acting, even from the likes of Portman and McGregor (Sam L. did alright), dire dialogue, flat chemistry, plotholes the size of Texas, a lot of plagiarism and the pacing was pathetic too. Lifted only by a couple of the fights (and I don't count 'the last half hour' as a fight, among that there was only one good fight), all in all the worst of all the Star Wars movies...wait I sound like the comic book guy from the Simpsons:

"Worst Star Wars ever!"

Worst forum ever!

Anyway...Hey, judge, i think we'd all appriciate an picture of your tattoo. IC makes a good point, I've seen the first trilogy a bagillion times, of course i'll remember more lines from it. Hell I could probably recite the whole trilogy by heart (well, maybe not anymore, but I used to ba able to).

Anyhow, I was thinking about how I used to think of Yoda as the stereotypical Buddhist Monk but how teh lightsaber scene changed that, and I was wondering if I had recognized all the stereotypes. So if I've missed any, reply away:

Yoda (pre-lightsaber fight) = Buddhist monk

Jar Jar = Gay rastafarian

Watto = Russian Jew (the nose, the greediness...)

Those trade federation fools from Epi1 with a cameo in Epi2 = Scabbling Japanese businessmen

Jabba = Italian Mobster

C3P0= Gay Brit

I couldn't think of anything for Chewie, the Ewoks, the Jawas, Sebula or Greedo, but if I know Lucas, they're stereotypes of some kind.

... You do NOT have a Rebel Alliance tattoo.... do you??!?

Honest injun! me and a mate of mine got them done at the same time a few years ago, there was meant to be 4 of us that were gonna do it, but the other two shit it! I'll get a photo up soon to prove the doubters wrong!

And there's plenty of memorable lines from episodes I & II!

"Anger leads to fear, fear leads to hate, hate leads to suffering...etc" (ok, ok, so i can never quite remember in what order it is! )

"Join me Obi-Wan and together we will destroy the Sith"

Ah fuck it there! There is a lot, though i can't be arsed typing them all, although nothing will beat...

"Luke, I am your Father"

I agree with SuperEeyore that the Star Wars trilogy is cheesy. I've never been a fan, never will be. The only thing that made the originals worthwhile for me was the sexual tension between Han and Leia.

But I may see this one just for the Yoda stuff. He's so cute and fuzzy.  :D

I just came back from Orlando yesterday where I got to see ep 2 on disney's digital projection screen! (One of only 17 in the country)  Suffice to say it looked fucking incredible.  Colors were just a lot brighter, more vivid.  I could notice that it looked better more in teh very begining of the movie, but then just kind of got used to how good it looked.  That, and the DP screen is enormous, which obviously adds to the effect.  If any of you go to orlando during the summer I suggest you check it out, disney has a movie theater in downtown disney, works just like a regular movie, same pric,e just pick the DP screen.  I want to stress though, that it looks better because it was shot digitally.  Movies shot on film will look better on film if it's a good print.  It wasn't such a huge difference in quality, like if I were to watch it on film I'd be like "this sucks!" so it's not like the difference between DVD and VHS or anything, but it just looks sharper.