Hondo's Bar

New Releases and Shows

DA JUDGE

Mustard = Good

If you've seen any Gur Ritchie you'd know that!!

Let me explain to you something about Americans. When we hear Guy Ritchie, we hear the same thing you hear we Brad Pitt plays a boxing gypsy (ie. Did he just say 'mustard' or 'nihilism'?)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can't understand what Brad Pitt is saying in that? Seems fairly straight forward to me. ???

He released the album early cos it was getting pirated, you weren't to know...

I honestly need a new hard drive, I've filled up my 20Gig hard drive with 8Gigs of mp3's, there's just under 200 hours of music on there! Gonna get me a 40 or 80 Gig to go with the 20Gig, noootch!

Artists who get angry about their music being pirated are record label tools. Performing artists make the vast majority of their money from live performances, not record sales. Record Labels make most of the money from the record sales. Even big name artists never make more than a dollar per album sold (unless they record under their own record label), in fact, most make no more than a few cents per album sold. The record companies push artists to make it look like they really care about pirating and that it hurts the artist when you download mp3s.

I don't like Eminem because I feel all he every raps about is self-hype (My Name Is, The Real Slim Shady) and defending his self-hype (The Way I Am). That's a big problem I have with lots of mainstream hip-hop. I guess I prefer just a tad of humility in music. Or at least only hype yourself once you've established yourself as something worth yourself about (My name is Prince! And I am funky! My name is Prince! The one and only! )

Eh...i guess i can see that. Id say similar, but if you can hype yourself in a different way than the usual "big guns, hos, money etc" like how Wu-Tang does (brag bout Street Fighter II skills, bullshit bou who's who in comics - Method Man calls himself Ghost Rider & battles Raekwon who's Iron Man, etc - talk shit to each other bout fights where they steal your soul, etc) its fun.  

Some guys can take the old formula of hype & make somethin cool of it; i think Jay-Z's a good example (his singles are good, but albums are better).

Eminem's the same; its hype but not like the old stuff.  Lotta shock value/crazy shit, yeah, but his style's somethin else. Not for everyone, but no matter who it is that hates him - and many do - no one can deny: if you here a freestyle or two of his, the boy's got skill.

But yeah, i get sick of the usual gangsta hype shit too, thats why i was/am such a fan of Tribe Called Quest, Pete Rock & CL Smooth, Wu-Tang, NAS etc - NY stuff where you better have somethin original to say or youre lost in a sea of others like you.  This is how Notorious B.I.G. got the way he did.

PS I may be solo here, but i think Prince is fuckin terrible.

Well, I don't know if you're solo or not, but I think Prince rocks. But what do I care about some fool I don't know is using music as a backdrop for his self-pomotion. Honestly, if they're so great, won't that greatness come out in their songs so they wouldn't have to tell people in their songs. The Beatles didn't write songs with lyrics like "We're the Beatles! We're the Best! Yeah yeah yeah!" And despite not releasing any songs with self-promotional lyrics, people still thought they were pretty good. Self-promotion in song lyrics is for musicians that have nothing worth promoting. I'm not interested in it, and frankly, I think it's rather pathetic when you have nothing else to make music about with all the things in the world there are to write lyrics about. How insecure and empty inside do you have to be to look at the world in all it's splendor and say "I gotta write songs about how great I am. there's nothing else in the world worth talking about."

Christ...look, youre prolly not a rap fan, end of story.  Even some of rap's greats admit, if you wanna be mainstream/sell records, its a somewhat limited genre in what people wanna hear, and yes shit-talkin is a big part of that.  

One of the coolest things ive heard of real rappers is underground challenges, often not even recorded, takin place in NY, where they square off by freestyling - many big namers built a rep here, from LL Cool J, B.I.G., Eminem, Q-Tip, etc.  Ive got a bit of respect for that; if anythin, the fact that in such a battle youve usually gotta hype yourself/trash your opponent in a lyrically new way makes for some really cool, interestin lyrics. (My personal favorite is when LL Cool J took down Canibus, "2nd round KO", was badass).

And again, with the bands i mentioned in the last post, its not all like that - Tribe is great chill/anytime music, Wu-Tang can do gangsta, hip-hop, R&B, party stuff, anywhere in between, whereas NAS can be very spiritual...there's some amanzingly creative shit out there, but many write it off with the radio stuff they here.  That, and that it was mainstream a few years back.  I think its the loss of those who dont really wanna hear the few who got somethin to say & just wanna be heard, they do often get swept up in those just in it to make $.

There's certain things that, while not necessarily, are often found in certain genres - i cant listen to metal and say "Whats with all the anger?", etc.  If you dont like that in your music, you prolly wont find much here youll be willing to listen to.

But hey, let's just compare that to a pop/classic rock band like The Beatles, that's fair. On that note, here's two smileys humping.

smileysex.gif

I don't dislike all rap, i just hear an overwhelming amount that's empty and meaningless to me, and also musically uncreative. That doesn't be I don't like some De La Soul, the Roots, Tricky or Public Enemy. Eminem is one of those that got all this press about being the biggest thign in hip-hop because he's some kind of genius, and I was just sayign I don't see it.

I couldn't care less about his 'bad press'. And the shit about him being controversial and dangerous to our youth. He could talk about killing infants by ODing them on herion while analy raping them while pledging alliance to Osama Bin Ladin and taking responsiblity for the Sept 11th attacks, and I still wouldn't care about his controversy if it was all still self-promotional propaganda.

Those of you who hate Rush might find it funny that drummer Neil Peart joked in the statement that the band initially fantasized about an unorthodox advertising campaign to herald Rush's return.

"Knowing that our music is nothing if not idiosyncratic, and doesn't really cater to popular 'taste,' we also envisioned advertising slogans along the lines of, 'If you hated them before, you'll really hate them now!' Or, 'And now -- more of everything you always hated about Rush!'"

- Neil Peart of Rush

Hmmm, well 'My Name Is' was an introduction to the Slim Shady character rather than self-hype, more of an explanation. 'Real Slim Shady' was about how you might not like him but 'there's a million others just like me, who cuss like me, who just don't give a fuck like me', deny it if you want but he's had an influence on society (not alone obviously). 'The Way I Am' is about people and the media thinking he's like the Slim Shady character, not even acknowledging he's rapping as a character. Alot of the Marshall Mathers LP is about misinterpretations of him.

As for genius, while I don't always agree with his subject matter, he is a great lyricist and MC, he has a style that's unique in music. Have you ever even heard 'Stan' JMT? As a piece of work I think that's fantastic. Unfortunately though it seems with the singles he puts out offending you so, you'll never buy one of his albums and find the quality songs he's making, at least in my opinion.

By the way, I hate Prince too, haven't taken to one of his songs.

Of course I've heard 'Stan'. I I have heard all of the debut Slim Shady album, and all the single on the Marshall Mathers LP as well as many non-singles, but not all of them. I don't care how offensive his music is, the 'controversy' in his lyrics don't offend me in the least. I just don't think he is all everyone makes he out to be quality wise. The certainly aren't bad, but aren't that great either, and I don't care for his MCing. And I guess it's not unusual to not like Prince, but it's a shame. He has written and recorded so damn good songs (Delirious, Purple Rain, etc). But I don't think there's anymore more chance of getting anybody to change their minds on that then on getting yall to like Rush. Oh well!

• 2 months later...

I've noticed we use the Moive thread to review movies, but we never review albums. Well, I've liked the new SOAD singles (Chop Suey!, Toxicity, and most recently Aerials) and have heard tons of good stuff about the album. So I finally recently bought the album and listened to it. I really liked it, so I decided, why not review it! Here goes.

00449233.jpg

The first thing I do when I'm hearing an album the whole way through the first time, I look at the track list andlook for the first song I've already heard to see how many new songs I'll be listening to before I hear one I already know I like. When a CD has a good ordering, the singles are spread around, so you don't hear all the singles the first three tracks. The worse thing an album tracklist can do clump a bunch the album no so great songs together. This is, IMHO, one of Pearl Jam's Ten's only downfall. I love every track, but if they the single track were more evenly spaced, more people would listen right through to the end more often. Anyway, I saw that the first song I'd heard was Chop Suey on track 6. Immediately, Prison Song blew me away. I was never even tempted to skip to the next track after the first minute of Prison Song. Now that I've heard the album a few more times, I skip around a bit, but I love every song. My highlights include Prison Song, Needles, Bounce, Psycho, Education and the three single tracks, but they're all good. SOAD seems to me like the new RATM, the new Metallica and the new Soundgarden all rolled together, but with a style all their own. Lots of great time changes, mood changes and tempo changes. Incredible. I highly recommend listening to the songs while reading the lyrics. Knowing what's beign sung add to the enjoyment alot.

Good choice of album to start on Jack, I nearly burned a hole in the CD I listened to it that much at the time! The singles are a bit overplayed so I do tend to skip them (even Chop Suey), but all the songs are great, I can only think that Forest could be considered a little overlong...

Question though, mine doesn't have a song called Education? :D

Don't I feel stupid. I was thinking of the song Shimmy.

I would like to mention that I didn't like Science, not for the music, but for the lyrics. I hate anti-scientific people and that song ruined my good mood from listen to the other songs. There's nothign wrong with spiritualy, but saying that science has failed the world is countrary to everythign I believe.

Archived