Hondo's Bar

Desperate Housewives

OK, I don't have cable or any kind of network access, I just download the shows I like to watch, which is mostly The Daily Show. I've been hearing of this show for a while, but I thought it was just another hit reaily show (I think my mind confused it with that Swapping Wives show). I finally hear something ABOUT the show a while ago, and it showed cool, so I found a torrent of the first 10 episodes and figures I see if I liked the first episode. I started watching the first episode yesterday afternoon. Other that bathroom breaks, food, answerign the phone, adn finding and starting torrents of episodes 11 and 12, I watched the first 10 episodes straight through. I was up till 3am. It is crazy good.

For those who know nothing about it, the best way to describe it would be: American Beauty, The Show. It's funny. It's poinent. It has many many constantly developing complex characters. But more than anything, it's dark! The first episode opens indroducing a seemingly perfect housewife and mother, having herself narrate the events of her day. Little over 1 minute into the show, she shots herself in the head with a revolver, and she spends the rest of the run of the show narrating the goings on of the neighborhood from an elevated point of view. She speaks about her friends and family witht he same kind of disconnect and clarity that Lester Burham did in American Beauty when he was speaking from the beyond.

Anyway, my torrent of episode 12 is finished but my episode 11 isn't. Once I watch those two, I'll have to wait a week between episodes, and even longer when the season ends.

I highly recommend this show to anyone who liked American Beauty. If you watch the first few minutes and aren't drawn in, you needn't stick with it. This isn't like one of those bullshit animes that the hardcore fans say "Yeah, it starts out kinda slow, but it really picks up in the 7th season. That's when it really gets good!"

It's also a big hit in the UK form what I hear.

Desperate Housewives has just started being shown over here (good ol' Channel 4 - yes we only have 5 channels! - is always great at bringing over the best US shows; Six Feet Under, Sopranos, West Wing, etc). It's really making it's mark over here with the most trusted TV reviewers falling for it.

I've actually only seen the third episode but I really liked it (albeit; the narrator's voice annoys me). Kind of getting the reputation of Stepford Wives shot through with Six Feet Under and Sex in the City. But on JMTs comments American Beauty; the Show sounds like a much more accurate description.

• 2 months later...

So Jax sent me the first episode (after a few DAYS of aim being a fucking jerkoff!) and all I have to say is wow.

I really didn't expect it to be so good! I truly thought it would be all these housewives whoring their way to the top of whorestown or something. But! it's super awesome! So awesome that after finishing the first ep, we directly went to a torrent site and downloaded eps 2-4.

I strongly recommend it, even from just watching the first show

We're watching in on RTE2, which is our national broadcaster. RTE - National Broadcaster of Ireland

We're on the episode where Mike got shot breaking into that house, also Paul isn't selling the house anymore. Gabrielle turns down johns proposal. It finished with Mike in Hospital and the filth asking him a few questions!

Its really getting interesting!

Last night episode wasn't as funny as soem of the previoes episodes, but as always, very interesting character and story development.

Man, where are the fuckign spoiler tags? This thread needs them more than any other! Highlight to read:

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Fuck, I love this show!

*note: editorially violated at user's unconscious request.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The Swason 1 DVD is comes out soon, I think August.

Yeah..I can't wait to get it. I think I will just wait for the DVDs to come out. I am bad about trying to keep up with weekly shows anyways. Not much of a TV person.

• 3 months later...

Archived