Hondo's Bar

Astonishing X-Men

The NZA

axm_7_800.jpg

With the end of Morrison's epic run on New X-Men, i thought things were looking grim for Marvel's cash cows: Cleremont, Austen, a return to the bright uniforms, etc. Then, as if to fill the void, Joss Whedon (former writer of Buffy: The Vampire Slayer) and artist John Cassady (Captain America) show up with the same team from New X-Men, with (what i consider) goofy costumes, but Cassady's pencils are so good, he actually makes them work.

While Brian K. Vaughan is writing some really fun takes on weaker villians over at Ultimate X-Men, this book has been pound-for-pound the best X-book out there consistently, and i believe issue # 8 just made it out recently. Sadly, Whedon's only signed on for 12 issues, but his first arc introduced a "cure" to mutancy, new villians, Scott & Emma believably running the institute without Xavier, a cool S.H.I.E.L.D. subplot, and a surprise return of some of the most beloved X-characters, in a really subtle way too.

Issue #7 was one of the best stand-alone issues in a long time: a simple teamup with the Fantatic Four, but with great characterization and plot, it really served as a go-between for the arcs, and I honeslty cant wait for this book each month, much less a trade for both arcs. If youve every enjoyed the X-Men - either the classic Cleremont/Byrne stuff, or the fun Jim Lee 90's stuff - you owe it to yourself to check this book out.

and if this is who i think it is, # 10 is gonna be the shit

axm_10_800.jpg

I've yet to read any of this due to my strict trade-only stance. I can't wait though. I just hope it's as good as everyone says...why ever the got rid of the new x-men costumes is beyond me...

P.S.

but his first arc introduced a "cure" to mutancy,

The only real cure to mutancy was in X-Statix...that crazy scientest from Xavier's lab that discovered it (and also fixed Xavier's coffee machine) was the goods :D

Yeah, I'm pretty pleasantly suprised by Joss Whedon on this one. Wasn't a big Buffy fan(great show, just turned off by the hype), but man, his characterisation and dialogue rival Brian Azzarello's, and the storys are very thematic as well. Beast hasn't been great since Morrison Fucked him up, and i've never like the tractor-boy, but Whedon' really got me behind them. An' John Cassidy's pencils're ootta sight... Between this and Millar's Spiderman, this' a great time to be a marvel reader

• 3 weeks later...

Best news ive heard all week :D

WHEDON & CASSADAY ON ASTONISHING FOR ANOTHER YEAR

by Richard Guion

Joss Whedon spoke extensively about his upcoming Serenity movie on Saturday at WonderCon, but also had a few words about his comic book work, first off, confirming what Marvel's solicitations for May suggested, that Astonishing X-Men #1-#12 is the creators's first year on the series.

From the panel:

Whedon and Cassaday announced at the Serenity panel that they will stick around for another year of Astonishing X-Men. Whedon said that after issue #12 ships, there will be a brief respite, followed by another 12-issues by Whedon/Cassaday. This will be capped off by Giant-Size Astonishing X-Men Annual #1 as Whedon called it.

Whedon also mentioned that the forthcoming Serenity mini-series from Dark Horse has a bunch of variant covers coming from his favorite artists. Cassaday does one of the covers featuring the Captain, Mal.

Update: When contacted by Newsarama Sunday, Marvel Editor in Chief Joe Quesada said that keeping Whedon on the title - and at Marvel - for another year came down mostly to publisher Dan Buckley and Whedon himself. "Well, negotiating is Dan Buckley's territory. On the creative end, Joss had always said he had a longer story that he wanted to tell and who am I to get in the way of that?"

Quesada added that he gets to enjoy Astonishing on two fronts: "I'm delighted as both. As a fan because I get to read these incredible stories, as EIC because I'm blessed enough to be here while both Joss and John produce this series."

But as for any teases as to where Whedon and Cassaday will take the series in Year 2? "Are you kidding? Have you ever felt the wrath of Whedon? Nope, I'm keeping my nose clear of any Astonishing spoilers."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Holy shit, the solicit for the last issue of this arc...damn.

ASTXM012_COV.jpg

ASTONISHING X-MEN #12

Written by JOSS WHEDON

Pencils and Cover by JOHN CASSADAY

"DANGEROUS"

This is it. The stunning conclusion to Joss Whedon and John Cassaday’s year-long run on ASTONISHING X-MEN. As "Dangerous" draws to a finale readers will have to see to believe, the lives of the X-Men will NEVER be the same.

Part 6 (of 6)

...are you kidding? So you havent read about White Queen reviving the Inner Circle and murdering Xavier...? :D

No, that's a solicitation for a future month; were on # 8 just like you.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

So...the first volume's done, looks like they'll be off for a few months, leaving Ultimate X-Men the only readable team book out there right now (that i know of).

What'd everyone think?

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

• 6 months later...

So, Amazon is pre-listing the HC of volume 1 as coming out April 26th, and retailing at $30, while they have it for $19...not bad, just wondering if anybody'd seen a better deal around? i definitely want this book.

ps astonish.jpg

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

• 5 months later...

yay!

Joss is happily on board for another volume/season, so that puts his run at least through # 24, with Cassady on the pencils, which is really a great team. # 16 just came out, so theyre only 4 past where you left off, ill see if i can round them up for you...the current arc is looking really good if youre a Kitty fan...interesting if youre about Emma.

• 11 months later...

I gotta say: Whedon's not as tight a writer for me lately. His Runaways work so far has been kind of an odd mess, and somewhere along the line, this 2nd volume went from badassery to an odd place, but his writing's still be carrying my interest.

Either way, i think were 2 issues away from closing this book as well, and we finally know which X-Man isnt making it back...

Joss giveth, and Joss taketh away. Here's to going out like a champ, Cyc. Damn shame that Joss was starting to give you more character than, fuck, anybody since Morisson, but i had to re-read/view your final moments like two or three times to take it in...shit was powerful, man.

not a good month for people staying alive.

This whole Breakworld thing has been odd for me. X-men can do OK in the outer space thing (Brood, Shi'ar) but the Breakworld thing hasn't really grabbed me.

And extending Danger into the Breakworld story made little sense to me. Of course, I didn't like Danger to begin with... I almost never like stories about the heroes' creating their own nemesis. (Explains why I'm disliking the Red Robin/ Jason Todd storyline, while at the same time I'm actually enjoying the Winter Soldier, though I thought I'd hate it.)

Archived