Hondo's Bar

Utada Hikaru

The NZA

Utada Hikaru, or Hikki, is Japan's premier pop star; comparable in popularity to, say, Madonna. While initially, this - as well as the genre of J-pop- doesnt appeal to everyone, there are some distinctions to be made.

1) The lyrics, while poppish and lovey-dovey, are in japanese, so they sound cool without you actually understanding much of them

2) More importantly, she's creative. Her vidoes are cool shit... "Wait and See" is a futuristic ride, while "Travelling" is the kind of colorful madness many of us dont see outside of Bjork videos.

3) The girl can sing.

Granted, if you dont like pop, its not for you, out right. Nonetheless, she's done minor American work - like the theme song to Kingdom Hearts ("Hikari", or "Simple & Clean"), a song with Foxy Brown for the Rush Hour 2 OST, etc. One of my favorite performances is her MTV Japan unplugged stuff, although for the final piece, "Final Distance" (a beautiful piano piece) this orchestra comes outta nowhere, which isnt very unplugged-like, but its really good nonetheless.

The english counterpart of her site is here, and if you're interested, i recommend "Travelling", "Distance", "Kettobase", "Can you keep a secret?", "In my room", or if you want english, go for "Simple & Clean", espeically the Kingdom Hearts mix. Ive got some videos on a bootleg DVD if any locals wanna see.

Finally, she's easy on the eyes.

gal_10.jpg

utadahikaru_firstlove.jpg

layout_top_r1_c2.jpg

• 1 year later...

Yeah, ive heard that too....i just found a torrent of her full discography, includes a lotta remixes (like the themes for Kingdom Hearts I & II) and b-sides i didnt know about), as well as the japanese MTV unplugged set, with her orchestral rendition of "Final Distance", which i think is amazing.

I figure she's bound to catch on here eventually.

utada_hikaru.jpg

utada.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

huh, not sure how i missed lor's reply - really, hideous? damn man.

kinda agree on the whole album thing though; her singles/greatest hits is great but most albums are a mismatch. anyway, replying here for lack of a proper j-pop thread.

Back in '02 I was all about me some Utada Hikaru! I disagree about her not having "any" solid albums though. Deep River is a great album. It was the first album of hers I bought, and by far her best. Although I do agree her greatest hits CD would be a better purchase for casual/new fans, especially considering import prices.

Exodus, her English "crossover" album was fail though. Maybe 2 or 3 decent songs on the whole thing. Ultra Blue was meh. And I've yet to hear her last album, Heart Station--which if anyone knows of a good quality torrent I'd be obliged for linkage.

She's got a new all English album called This Is The One in the works. However, based on the single called "Come Back To me," it sounds like fans can expect another Exodus rather than Deep River. :D

• 2 months later...

Those clips were awesome. Nick! I'd like to see her record that song w/ a slightly better mix--keep just the piano and guitar though.

And that woman is a fiend at Tetris. She beat 26 out of 30 people. I don't think I could stand to play 30 games in a row let alone wine almost all of them.

if you want, i found a link with an mp3 ripped from that performance, though youre right that its a shame she couldnt get a proper recording out of it.

i had no idea she was this tetris monster. that only makes her cooler.

if you want, i found a link with an mp3 ripped from that performance, though youre right that its a shame she couldnt get a proper recording out of it.

i had no idea she was this tetris monster. that only makes her cooler.

hells yeah. i'll put it into rotation on ye olde iPod. you've got the U2 cover she did from her MTV unPlugged, right? it's from like 6 years ago.

• 3 years later...

Strolling back through the music forums and came across this. Sadly, I never saw your response, Nick; so the Feds got to it before I could. Anyway, this thread made me wiki her to get an update. Apparently she hasn't put anything out since a DVD of a live show she did back in 2010. and she's on an "indefinite hiatus."

The guitar mix isn't the best on this, but the vocal chops are still there...

http://youtu.be/0CpUo76Gcxk

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

I forgot how much of a nightmare it is to hunt down her videos.

Alright, I will start you off with one of her more poppy videos. Fun song but not her best in term of videos.

http://vimeo.com/16299427

With that wrapped up I will move you guys on to two of her videos which are on my list of favorite music videos of all time. The music is great in both of these but the video sells them. Please to enjoy:

<br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1pnvf_ayumi-hamazaki-free-easy_creation" target="_blank">Ayumi Hamazaki - Free & Easy</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/LeStefSaint" target="_blank">LeStefSaint</a></i>

O.k here's the last video I'll post for now. This might be my favorite music video ever. It's beautiful, brilliant and moving. I hope you guys enjoy it as much as I do.

<embed src="http://www.tudou.com/v/sdGPMUAve8I/&resourceId=0_05_02_99/v.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="opaque" width="480" height="400"></embed>

• 9 years later...