Hondo's Bar

The Long-Awaited...PHANTOM THE MOVIE!!!!!

Puddle of Tammy on the FLOOR...absolutely enthralling.

I cried. :D

I fell in love all over again. :D

I lipsynced to the whole thing; I couldn't help it; it was that or actually sing with it, and though I'm not THAT bad, I doubt anyone else there would rather have heard me than Emmy Rossum...

The story, the ambiance, the MUSIC...

...just like the show (saw it third-row BROADWAY!!!), this movie is better than sex, and the most sensual, erotic experience on the planet.

Gotta go now, but if anyone else wants to discuss it (or even actuallly saw it... :D ), feel free...

...I'll be back later to discuss the (ahem) cinematic attributes...

I haven't seen ti yet, but I want to. The reviews are mixed, but if you read them, you'll notice that everyone who didn't like the movie, hated the play. I know a few hardcore fans of the play that loved it, so it seems like a good adaptation at least. I've never even seen the play really, so I'm looking forward to it.

If you've never seen teh play, I think it's by far the easiest of Andrew Lloyd Weber's to enjoy and to take seriously. I'm not a fan of his in general, but Phantom is an undeniabley good play. I don't care for Bruckheimer movies, but as Pirates proved, he has little to do with whether you'll like the movie, but he'll always make a movie that's good to look at.

Yes, I agree: Jennifer Ellison was a superb choice for Meg Giry. Her voice is clean, crystal-clear, and charming, and she has a babyface that can't be ignored. For the few scenes and lines she is afforded, she shines as a pristine ingenue.

By the same token, Emmy Rossum was a surprisingly good choice for Christine Daae. As most of us aficionados of the show are used to more mature singers, we forget that Christine, the character, is a young girl, just coming of age, while still young enough to believe that the reassuring voice coming seemingly from nowhere is that of her late father. For such a close-up medium as film, Christine must be portrayed by a much younger actress. (This is the point that made me stop being angry that Sarah Brightman wasn't cast. lol)

Patrick Wilson--gotta give props to the local celebrity! (His dad, John Wilson, is an anchor on our own Fox 13 out of Tampa.) He plays Raoul brilliantly, showing how protective he is of Christine while, at the same time, trying to understand her deep connection with the Phantom.

Gotta go--more light review on the actors later; anyone wanna bring up some thematic elements while I'm gone?

Yes, I agree:  Jennifer Ellison was a superb choice for Meg Giry.  Her voice is clean, crystal-clear, and charming, and she has a babyface that can't be ignored.  For the few scenes and lines she is afforded, she shines as a pristine ingenue.

I get the feeling SOF just wanted us to check out how incredibly hot Jennifer Ellison is, but please, we have more than enough hot chick threads (never thought I'd say that) so keep up with the serious-minded reviews.

Archived