Hondo's Bar

New Preacher Trade Covers

These are looking pretty good. The Until the End of the World isn't much of a change, but I'm totally loving the Proud American's one. That's Fabry at his best right there. Dunno if they're gonna do the rest of 'em but I'm interested to see if they do....and more importantly why....

1563892618.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

1563893126.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

1563893274.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

1563897156.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Lookin' sharp! I love that one from the Fabry poster (i gots it autographed!), but i dig the original Proud Americans cover so much...good choice for Alamo tho.

If they ever go hardcover, i swear to god ill buy em again. Anythin that gets this series more atention makes me happy, unless its a promo for a potential movie realease :D

heh...there's an entire forum at Preacher's Divinty about this.

Wel...what do we have to go on? Comic movies as of late have been damn good - you called Rodriguez, and Sin City was awesome - but right now, unless Patrick Stewart gets his wish with a Transmetropolitan flick, the only Vertigo movie we've to go on - outside of wha, Tank Girl? - is Constantine, and while id argue with you that it was a fun movie, it had fuckalll to do with Hellblazer for the most part..i dont remember John tryin to get into heaven, ever.

The time when buzz & big names for this project were around have come & gone, and now we'd be lookin at soemthin slopped together by the lowest bidders. Woudlnt get enough attetnion to warrant sequels, so the studio'd seek to tie it all up in one go, like the script i read which has Jesse vs The Saint of Killers for a finale ( :ill: ). I just dont think itd draw anyone to the book...id be reassured if i saw people readin Hellblazer after Constatine, but i didnt see it. Newsarama says somes shops pushed hard right outsdie of theaters after Sin City, which was cool, but that's not this.

I dont wanna be a hater, really, but how could it be anythin shy of mediocre?

...anyway, props again for the trade covers, keep em comin (whered you find em?), still holdin out for hardcovers, and more extras...ive a good chunk of clippings of Ennis interviews, Preacher spots in Wizard, etc. Hell, that one uppity comic mag did a 20+ page interview with Garth on Preacher, Hitman, Hellblazer etc, shit was amazing.

Hey ya forgot about another Vertigo flick that indeed did spawn a sequel, a live action TV show and a cartoon...

0792846494.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B00007L4NB.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

swamp1.jpg

B0002F6BVK.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Something like Preacher'd have to be done as faithfully as Sin City. I hope that after seeing how good SC did at the box office the big wigs'll see that keeping as close to the source material is a good idea. Sure, it's hard for something like X-Men say, what with all the continuity and roster changes, but Preacher is straight forward as can be.

Along with my Rodriguez demands over at the preacher board way back when (fuck, when RR was gonna do a Madman flick - that woulda be fucking amazing) I said that if a Preacher flick was made it should just be "Gone to Texas". It would work perfectly and if the flick didn't do well and there was no hope for a sequel at least it works well on it's own.

Constantine is still a fucking huge bummer for me. I mean I LOVE Hellblazer, the Ennis stuff the most of course, and I was so let down by the flick. I got past the "he's not a blonde Liverpudlian based in London and he doesn't have a brown trenchcoat" but that shit, although it woulda been great if that's the way the flick was, wouldn't really be important if the character stayed the same. I mean, the chewing gum...what the fuck was that. The end of "dangerous habits" was brilliant. It showed JC sans-cancer. He knew how he got it and he knows he'll more than likely be struck with it again (what with the 40 Silk Cut a day) but he keeps on smoking - and that in a way is the essence of the character. He just doesn't give a shit. He wants instant gratification, be it with sex, booze, cigarettes and of course magic.

There's a reason he lost so many friends over the years. It's not a coincidence. And then in the flick they kill "Chas"?!?! the character that was just a taxi driver until Ennis made him into the sidekick that was so fucking horrible destroyed by Shalia LaBouf in the flick (and I like that kid too, it's just THAT WAS NOT CHAS). Anyways, I'm ranting now...

Preacher hardcovers with extras galore would be the shit alright. I kinda hope that they're pimping Ennis and Dillon again 'cause "City Lights" is on the horizon, but I doubt it :D when the fuck is that ever gonna see the light of day. I mean, the stuff in Hellblazer Ennis and Dillon did about Northern Ireland was brilliant ("Heartland" and issue #70 of the regular series). I'd love to see how "City Light" will turn out.

39563494056.70.GIF

39318201938.1.GIF

Fuck! I never caught that, good fuckin eye man! :D

yeah...i forgot swamp thing on purpose.

I too eagerly await City of Lights, i think theyve described it as a quiet road trip, but fuck, its those 2...i know what Dillon meant tho, he said they had to get the story down on paper before it became too big in their heads to ever do.

Still cuious just how bad that Sex Detectives story was to have gotten axed..

I gotta photocopy that massive interveiw for ya sometime man, you dig it. One last thing on the movie front, tho: you really want all of Gone to Texas? I didnt think the seriel killer Si stuff was essential; script i read stopped off after Sheriff Root, whichd be cool, but perhaps anticlimactic? It coudl work as it is, but not in the format i read it in there...no lie, Jesse shot down the Saint with his own gun, somehow. :ill: :D :D

PS Ennis' Hellblazer (and Heartland) were excellent, as was the short N. irish stuff in Hitman...he revists his home a lot in his books, i only didnt dig it as much in Punisher. But ill be damned if the current MAX title isnt the shit right now

Preacher movie - bad. Preacher HBO series - good. That's the only way it could possibly get a decent translation. Really.

Love the new covers. I kinda like the original trade cover for Proud Americans better (it had one of my favorite Jesse Custer paintings on it) but that Alamo one is a much better choice!

Yeah ditto what SB said. Liked the other Proud Americans cover better, but the Alamo one is definitely improved. Not sure why, but I never really dug the original Alamo cover with the polaroid. Nice idea, just not sure about the execution.

As for the 'Until the End of the World' cover, wish so much of it wasn't covered by the text in the new cover, spoils it slightly I think. At least they didn't change the cover pic though, that would have been criminal. Ditto is they change the War in the Sun pic.

I dug the original Alamo cover 'cause of the polaroid. That, although at the time when the photo was first taken it seemed un-important, turned out to be so poignant as far as Cass went that I loved it. I still say that Preacher was more about Pronsias' redemption that about Jesse's quest...

Y'know, back on the preacher board there was a question about what was the most disturbing thing in Preacher and I went for when Cassidy's glasses came off and ya saw his fucked up eyes and alls I got was :D

That really fucked with my head more than anything else. I mean, yeah there were rakes of hints, but once the specs came off I was in a "wahthefuck" way for quite some time afterwards....

Last page of the last issue of the Crusaders Arc. Where Jesse's helping Cass out of Masada, and he says something to the effect of "If one worda God's lawe dictates I can't stand by my friends, he can shove it up his ass."

Gos it feels dirty typing a-s-s.

I kind of like Featherstone's and Hoovers conversation. Two minor characters with the author being nice enough to give us some background. It made Featherstone's death not so throw-away as it could have been.

Also, the stories in Vietnam are excellent, with the great dialogue scenes between Space and Jesse talking about it.

And don't forget Herr Starr. I can't help but crack up every time I think of him chasing the old lady yelling "Granny moving fucking walkway". :D

Also, the stories in Vietnam are excellent, with the great dialogue scenes between Space and Jesse talking about it.

that's a perfect example of the kind of past/characterization a movie'd need to really give the impact Jesse's dad had on him, what kind of man he was, and restroactively make "Until the end of the world"/all in the family that much more powerful. And i think its a great example of stuff that wouldnt make it past the editing floor...just a random thought on an amazing series, much of which would be shoved aside for the funnier/louder moments, when i really enjoyed those moments.

Have I already mentioned an effective trilogy? I think I may've back in my greener days over in Divinity. Seriously tho, in terms of trades, 1-3, 4-6(complete with nasty cliffhanger, i went mad over the three-day-weekend i had to wait to buy Salvation), 7-9'd work pretty fuckin' well. I still prefer the HBO series idea tho. I'm trynna get my hands on a new copy of Gone to Texas to start pimping to ArNah.

I meant the bit right at the end where he takes off his glasses when he doesn't need them anymore.

But yeah, that bit was messed up.

Yeah, I gotcha on that, it was just ya reminded me of the other part.

One last thing on the movie front, tho: you really want all of Gone to Texas? I didnt think the seriel killer Si stuff was essential

Maybe not the Si part, but the Cass and Jesse on top of the Empire State Building was pretty essential, no?

Maybe not the Si part, but the Cass and Jesse on top of the Empire State Building was pretty essential, no?

Oh, most definitely, this scene needs to be in the movie, its an excellent character scene early on. Of course, that means it wasnt in the script i got back in the day, but anyway... :D

Archived