Hondo's Bar

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Do you think HHGTTG was as good as the book, better, worse, or just different?

I will be seeing this movie tomorrow with other Hondonians, then I will post my opinion, but from what Ive seen from the previews it still looks hilarious. They changed a few things, but Alan Rickman as Marvin the Paranoid Android sounded perfect and Im really excited. I have heard that Mos Def wasnt that great, we shall see.

didnt read the books... but i want to... but i am too busy to do a lot of things that i want to do.. well im seeing it tomorrow and i have set my expectations high because i think its going to be awesome!! when i am like 80 and have read the books i will find this thread and post which one i thought was better lol

hahahaha I dont think this thread will still be here when you're 80, POD lol hhahaha

Yes, it also looked like Sam Rockwell would be excellent. Jake and I were just talking about it. They purposely changed the way they did the two heads. In the book and the BBC TV version he had two heads and two necks, in the movie its like under his chin or something, I didnt get a good look at it. Adams wanted it that way and it was cheaper, and wouldnt look like crap like the BBC version lol

Oh man Im so excited. :D

Yeah, his second head is under his main head and is hidden under his shirt most of the time. The hair from his first head's beard doubles as the hair on the top of his second head. It's was good that way because it wasn't distracting until they wanted it to be distracting.

Y'know I only laughed when they directly quoted the book, and at the silly dolphin intro. The rest, especially the Tril kidnap scene, was rather....bash.

I expected them to combine a few of the books into one nice movie, at least the first couple, but I can't remember if they find out about the mice people in Restaurant or in Hitchhiker's..? The books are among my favorites, but the movie was a bit under-par.

I heard DA died in 2001!? Maybe the bad stuff was added after he died, without his marvelous touch.

In either case, it coulda been better. The BBC show was excellent (or the first three eps, anyway :D) I lorve it.

When, from what I read, Dougla Adams always insisted that every adaptation of his novels (radio plays, tv series, and now movies) have the same characters but different stories. I never wanted Sin City-level fatefulness, or ever LOTR-level fatefulness. He wanted brand new characters and side stories. And supposedly the script was pretty much all approved by Adams.

I haven't read but the first four cha;pters of the first book, but I get the feeling the movie kept the feel of the books intact. I did hear a complaint that Bettlebrox was suppose to be too cool to care about anything, and not stupid, like Rockwell portrayed him. I guess that's valid, but I liekd the movie, btu it was certainly not a GREAT movie.

And supposedly the script was pretty much all approved by Adams.

Actually the script was written by Adams. They just brought in another writer (Karey Kirkpatrick, who wrote the screenplay for Chicken Run) to help polish the final draft after he died. So whenever people say it wasn't faithful enough...I mean, I dunno, considering he did write the thing, can you still say that? He wasn't faithful enough to himself?

Yeah, this girl I know who used to babysit would red Ella Enchanted to the kids she sat and she said the movie wasn't fateful to the book. When I pointed out the screenplay was written by the book's author, she must have short-circuited because she keep arguing the same point. Oh well....

Saw it, liked it, don't think it was anything amazing, but it kept me interested and the effects held up. I don't know if Sam Rockwell was added just to get Americans interested, but he was the best thing in it.

I was just disappointed that it was nowhere close to the book, some things happened, but not a lot of them. As a movie by itself it was okay, funny, different, and had a great cast. I dont think Rockwell is a big enough star for Americans to care. Rockwell playing Beeblebrox was the best part of the movie, him and Alan Rickman as everyone agrees lol

Archived