Hondo's Bar

Star Wars trilogy poll

What do you think is the best order for viewing the Star Wars series?  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

:D gonna do what i can to keep this one spoiler-free, but it does presuppose youve watched the old ones already...

So, cat's outta the bag, the whole series'll be on DVD before you know it, im sure the bootlegs are right now anyway...question is, what order should new fans watch them in?

option 1 - the way the rest of us did, from "new hope" through "revenge of the sith", that way you get the delivery of "luke...i am your father" and all.

option 2- In sequential order; sure, you dont get the surprise impact of Vader's revelation in Empire, but what about Ep III's having Anakin turn? That's a huge surprise in itself if you didnt know it was coming.

Also, do visuals affect this option? Meaning, lets be honest: if you watch them in order, the graphics prolly get a lot less good after III is over....is this a factor?

I think new fans should watch it in sequential order. That'd probably be the most satisfying. You could get EpI out of the way first, work your way up through the great effects and action scenes of II and III, and then get into the great character stuff of the original trilogy. Plus, I think the end of Jedi and the destruction of the Emperor and the Empire would have a lot more meaning if you saw the whole thing from the beginning. I don't think a person could possibly live in this pop culture without already knowing the "I am your father" line, anyway. The change in effects will probably be pretty jarring, but effects weren't as big a deal in the original trilogy. Does anyone really still watch those movies for the space fights?

I don't think a person could possibly live in this pop culture without already knowing the "I am your father" line, anyway.

OK, let's rephrase the question: How would you show the series to your child?

I think the original trilogy is still the most interesting story. Lucas said himself, he thought the first trilogy represented something of a lamer story, that why he started with Episode 4, he just wrote the story of Epi1-Epi3 to get a reference point to start from. He made this new trilogy because he felt people didn't understand the story. People believed Luke was the central character, and Anakin is the central character in Lucas' mind. People also looked at Anakin as a villian, and Lucas thought of him as a tragic figure. His fall to the dark side was a tragedy.

So I still think the original trilogy is the best way to have a new viewer fall in love with the saga.

But that's just the problem. If they fall in love with the original trilogy, they'll be disappointed with the prequels just like the rest of us. If yu show them the prequels first, not only will they be able to watch the prequels without comparing them to the originals (something which made a mediocre film into a crappy film for us fans) but they'll have all the best parts of the series to look forward to.

Ok, if I want someone to fall in love with the series, I'd show them EpIV first, but if I have someone who i determined to watch the whole series for the first time from beginning to end, I'd show them EpI first.

Good points. Id like to add about the thrill of "Luke im your daddy" bit, with something that hadnt occured to me: this chick at work just watched said trilogy without the original, and was somehow shocked by Palpatine's revelation as Sith lord, i completely forgot bout that.

People believed Luke was the central character, and Anakin is the central character in Lucas' mind. People also looked at Anakin as a villian, and Lucas thought of him as a tragic figure. His fall to the dark side was a tragedy.

So...so was Return of the Jedi really about Anakin's redemption, then?

So...so was Return of the Jedi really about Anakin's redemption, then?

Yup. If you ask Lucas, the reason there will never be an Episode 7 movie is because there is no Episode 7 in his mind. The Saga is about Anakin, that's why it starts with his discovery by the Jedi and ends with his death.

... Until he wants another Hummer. And here I thought Jedi was aboot Ewoks. With kids, they could handle the gayness of episode I, but anyone else'd really have to see the holy trilogy first to not discount the whole experience.

... Until he wants another Hummer.

I'll bust Lucas' chops for alot, but I don't think he did this new trilogy for the money. The man makes millions of THX, Skywalker Sounds, ILM, LucasArts and all the merchandising. He has enough money and sources of income to live on the Skywalker Ranch til the end of time. He could make any type of movie he wants to. He could make little indie films if he wanted to. I know there are people with billions of dollars that will do things just to get more, but I geniune believe he wanted to do this for reasons besides money.

• 11 months later...

Seriously, though, have you watched the extras on the current discs. They're pretty extensive. Feature-length making ofs. What extras are left to add? Now, actually, there's always been a rumor that Lucas has a few more "deleted scenes" from the original trilogy that he hasn't added back in...yet. And he might when one massive saga box set comes out. But as for the unedited trilogy, I just don't see what they could include to make anyone want to buy the movies again.

IMO, Skeet, - a DVD collection, for any Sci-Fi nut, without Star Wars in it is blasphemous and incomplete.

Seriously Get the 1-3 Set and the OT 4-6, they are rather cheap nowadays.

I bought a widescreen ROTS for 9 bucks new at Blockbuster last week.

I agree, SB, great point, on pointing out the shortcomings of the reprinted OT discs.

im going for sequential order... that way you get all the shit out of the way first.. then you get into the classic cheesey effects which made the rest of them rule, not to mention a story line.....

see, ive thought about it, and thats prolly not a bad call.

Archived