Hondo's Bar

Nirvana vs. Pearl Jam

MusicManiac

Who in your opinion is better?  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

nirvana are Not grunge...

And Pearl Jam was? Look at how they dressed when Ten came out. They look like fucking Skid Row or Poison or a bad Guns N' Roses cover band.

pjtenad.jpg

Fact is, Grunge is not something so easy to pn down, but mostly it was two things: 1) a rejection of the scrubbed-down faux-dangerous femmed-up genetic state of rock in the late 80's full of power ballads and Sammy Hager singing in van Halen. 2) lots of grit.

Grunge was about being dirty and, wait for it...grungy.

Pearl Jam took Power Rock (The Who, The Stones, Zeppelin, U2, etc) and made it grungy. Soundgarden and Alice In Chains took Metal, (Black Sabbath, Pantera, Metallica, Megadeth, etc) and made it grungy. Nirvana took Punk (Sex Pistols, Black Flag, The Ramones) and made it grungy. Later, the Foo Fighter would take a more small pop song approach to grunge, like the Kinks and Badfinger.

This is why Pearl Jam is so well suited for huge stadiums, why AIC and SG are so dark and mid-tempo, and why Nirvana was so much fun. Punk was about getting back to fundamentals, and so was Nirvana. Say waht you want about 4 chords, if anyone who could play the guitar could make pop masterpieces, we'd have millions of them, but we don't.

Anyway, Nirvana is plenty grunge.

• 3 years later...

Nirvana.

Without question.

No competition.

Not even in the same ballpark.

Barely even playing the same game.

I feel sorry for people that don't "get" Nirvana. It has more humanity and soul in 4 chords than pearl Jam could ever hope to wring out, no matter how many product tie-ins they do with Target. I liked "Jeremy" and "Evenflow" a bit back in the day, I guess. Nothing like Nirvana though.

How did this become some conversation about how "grunge" a band is? Completely irrelevant. If anything I would say that Nirvana has some elements of the punk bands Jax listed, but have more in common with acts like The Pixies, Sonic Youth, Jane's Addiction and Dinosaur Jr. What do you even call that? Post-Modern?

They have practically nothing in common with bands like Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains or Stone Temple Pilots, who I've never even been remotely interested in. When you take clothing and geography out of the equation and judge them purely on music, I don't see how anyone can even think they're the same genre.

This feeling might be because Nirvana was pretty much the soundtrack of my childhood. I remember when my parents bought Nevermind, we were on our way to the mall and ended up sitting in the parking lot in awe for the entire length of the album. It was epic. I couldn't get enough of it.

I was 8.

Cobain shot himself 4 days after my parents got divorced. It was the end of an era for me, and it's pretty much a watermark for when my childhood ended.

So yeah, music is highly personal and there are no "rights" and "wrongs", but I'm solidly on one side of the fence on this one.

Nirvana Unplugged and Soundgarden's last album were the two albums I listened to the entire car ride from NOLA to Tucson one summer--a family vacation in my youth... Sorry for that Random tidbit.

Anyway, I love both bands but can't say feel about either band as passionately as Thrizzlogan feels about Nirvana. PJ's albums Ten and VS --two way outstanding albums--have a fair amount of personal significance for me, so that and the fact I saw PJ perform live twice and never got a chance to see Nirvana live is reason enough for me to cast my vote for PJ.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived